Author Topic: Is the Sivaganga tank quite deep?  (Read 2624 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Is the Sivaganga tank quite deep?
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
The young boy Ramana, (who was earlier brought back to life,
when he was bitten by a snake and he turned to totally blue),
once was sitting near Sivaganga Tank, inside the Arunachaleswara
Temple.  He wanted to go into the water.  He stepped in, and found
suddenly that he was drowning into the tank.  He was gasping for
breath and did not know whom to call for help.  Suddenly, an old man from Kambathu Ilaiyanar Temple (Muruga's shrine, near the Pillar) jumped into the river and brought the boy back to the steps
and disappeared swiftly.  Ramana, the young boy did not know who
rescued him.  He was thankful to Lord Arunachaleswara.

Next morning, the boy entered the Old Hall and prostrated before
Bhagavan Ramana.  Looking at the boy mischievously, Bhagavan Ramana asked the boy:  "O Ramana, is the Sivaganga Tank quite deep?"  The young boy understood that it was Bhagavan Ramana,
who had come as an old man and save him from drowning!

Arunachala Siva. 

viswanathan

Re: Is the Sivaganga tank quite deep?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
Dear Mr.Subramanian,
                            The boy Ramanan referred in this post is the grand son of Echammal.His original name is K.Venkatraman and in ashram circles he is known as K.V.Mama where as in our family circle he is known as Ramanan.You may be aware that Echammal  lost all her children  and then finally she adopts her niece Chellammal who is the daughter of Mondakolathur Janakirama Iyer(brother of Echammaql).   K.V.mama is the son of Chellammal.  K.V.Mama was also a staunch devotee of Bhagavan and after his retirement from Central Government service, he was  fully devoted  his life in serving the ashram.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »
So wonderful :)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »
Dear Viswanathan,

I am happy to know that your family is known to K.V. Mama and his
family.  In fact one astonishing thing happened when I and my wife visited the Asramam on this Jayanti Day, 1.1.2010.  I met the father
of one Ramana Prasad, my son's class mate in Bishop Cotton Boys'
School in Bangalore.  I know that gentleman since our children's school days, and I guessed he must be a Ramana devotee, from the name of his son.  This gentleman and his wife were talking to us
for some time and he suddenly said that he is the great grand son
of Chellammal!  I did not know this information beforehand.  This
Ramana Prasad is now working in U.S.  They asked what my son
Hari Balaji is doing.  I told him that he is working in Hongkong. 
Then he said that his son is getting married on 16th March 2010 and we should attend the wedding and Hari should also make it from
Hongkong if possible.  Ramana devotees understand each other
like a serpent knowing its legs, as they say in Tamil.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
Readers interested can read the Full article below

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1995/?pg=jan-feb

K. VENKATARAMAN, endearingly addressed as K. V. Mama by those in Sri Ramanasramam, suddenly expired at 2:45 a.m. on November 23. He was 70-years-old and the only child of Chellamma, who was the adopted daughter of Echammal.

K. V. Mama was no less surrendered and no less blessed. His mother died when he was only an infant, and it was her dying wish that he should be raised by Echammal in Tiruvannamalai. Echammal, whose life in the world was a succession of tragedies, went and brought the motherless child directly to Bhagavan and placed the boy in his hands. "On seeing the babe, tears trickled from my eyes," Bhagavan later said, recalling the occasion.

The Maharshi looked after that child and protected him from harm. To illustrate this we need only relate the following story told to us by K. V. Mama: "Once when I was a young boy, a friend and I were in the Arunachala Temple. As it was very hot we went to the tank in the temple and began splashing and playing in the water. I inadvertently went into the water over my head and began sinking. I came to the surface a few times but was unable to stay afloat. My friend got scared seeing me in distress and ran off. Just before I went under for the last time I remember distinctly seeing Bhagavan's face, and then everything went blank - I became unconscious.

When I later regained consciousness I found that I was lying on a step just near the tank. I asked someone nearby how I got out of the water. I was told that an old man had come and pulled me out, laid me down on the step and then went away. Somehow I survived the ordeal. After nearly drowning, I went to the ashram and sat in the hall without telling anyone what had just happened. Bhagavan turned in my direction and said with a gentle smile on his lips, "Did you have a nice swim?" I put my head down, as I felt extremely guilty and thought that everyone was watching me. Who else was it than Bhagavan who saved me?"

--
ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము