Author Topic: Silent and Solid Grace - 5  (Read 1608 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Silent and Solid Grace - 5
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
In his Ramana reminscences, K.R.K. Murthy further continues:-

With a view to record Bhagavan's voice and preserve the same
for posterity, someone raissed a discussion on the sound recording
machines, in the presence of Bhagavan.

Bhagavan agreed with what they said, regarding this wonderful
machine.  Seeing that Bhagavan was very favourably disposed
towards the same, they wanted to pursue the matter further
and fix up a date for recording Bhagavan's voice.  At that moment,
Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "My real voice is Silence.  How can
you record that?"  In this connection, He narrated the story of the
saint Thandavarayar*, who by his dynamic silence stilled the minds
of several people, for three full days.

(* Thandavarayar is a Tamil saint-poet who lived about 500 years
back in Nannilam, Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu.  His original
Tamil advaitic classic Kaivalya Navaneetam, is quite famous, and
has been translated into German and English by Dr. Charles Graul
DD of the Leipzig Lutheran Mission.  Thandavarayar's disciple composed a poem called Bharani in Tamil.  The friends of the
disciple asked him:  "How can you write a Bharani on your saint-guru, since Bharani is normally written only towards a King who had killed 1000 elephants in a war?"    The disciple said: "You all come and see my Guru, then only you will understand.  The friends came to see guru Thandavarayar.  The Guru was in utter silence, with a
vacant gaze.  No one could open their mouths.  Soon, more and
more people came and sat before Thandavarayar.  The number exceeded even one thousand.  They all kept quiet inundated by the Silence of the guru.  It happened for three days.  On the fourth day the guru said:  "You must all be very hungry.  Go and eat something!")

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 6.  Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Silent and Solid Grace - 5
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
my real voice is silence..... So if we want to talk to Bhagavan we must be in real silence. It isnot keeping quiet. Our mind should not chatter, In complete
manonasam  the real silence takes place. Therefore if we want to listen Bhagavan's voice we should have manonasam, which is very very difficult.

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Silent and Solid Grace - 5
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »
Dear I,

We have to admit that we have Vasanas and to ignore these Vasanas which are our Prarabhdha is the problem. That is, there is a need for material satiation in various different ways be it, physical, material, emotional or other.

One will end up being depressed, if one does not give enough room for ones prarabdha to take place, it will go away eventually, like how a ripe fruit falls of all by its own accord, that is the way to go about our Sadhana, not to pluck the fruit before it is ripe, i.e. to Control our Vasanas. Let the Nature take its own course on what has to happen.

Actually this depression occurs because, we give prominence to deliverance than the nature. Yes, it is advised by the scripture and Bhagawan also advised that only desire one should have is the desire for Self, But not at the cost of controlling your Vasanas. Swami Vivekananda never used the word Control anywhere in his talks, He uses the word 'Continence' there is much difference between Control and Continence.

Bhagawan never gave a green signal to who ever came to him asking if they could leave their homes, kith and kin for Self enquiry.

Can we control natures call and do Self Enquiy? The fruit has to fall by its own accord and not be plucked. Trying to pluck it is being depressed.

The right way I sense is to be aware of these words of Bhagawan "the ordainer controls the fate of souls according to their destinies and whatever is bound to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it and whatever is bound not to happen will not happen try as you may to do it. The best course therefore is to remain Silent"

By this, one will not end up in Bondage, but remain like the Lotus flower in water, where the petals remain always dry in spite of being upon water.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta