Author Topic: Rape and Robbery at Arunachala  (Read 17813 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rape and Robbery at Arunachala
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:15:41 AM »

A few days ago I heard the very disturbing news - that a young attractive western girl was raped and murdered on the inner path last week. I am trying to verify this story as there has been no media coverage of it whatsoever, but the local villagers are talking about it.

Please pay attention to the following -

When people come to Tiruvannamalai they imagine that it is full of saintly and holy people. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many spiritual people here, but there are also many opportunists.

Over the past ten years, the robbery and rape of western women has been reported a number of times amongst the western community, taking place both on the mountain and on the girivalam paths, the inner path being the most common because it is isolated. A few years ago two men were imprisoned for robbery and rape on the mountain.

There is a very common and very mistaken belief here that western women are easy and want sex with any man. This has come about because of the reportedly profligate behaviour of a few women and movies which depict western women in a bad light.

Western culture is very different from Indian culture. Western females are generally friendly towards strangers, smiling and talking freely, they also hug each other. Unfortunately the western style of close communication is taken here as an open invitation to sex by those whose minds live in the sewer - it is frowned upon by most Indians.

Last year a friend of mine came here for a few weeks of meditation and was approached within the first few days by two Indian men demanding sex - not asking, demanding, one followed her to her accommodation and the other approached her in the ashram. She was horrified and very upset by this. I have heard of many other females who are constantly pestered in this way.

Indian females will generally only speak to men they know and only from a distance - they will never touch.

I repeat here the cautionary advice posted in ashrams and elsewhere.

Under no circumstances should ladies go up the mountain or perform girivalam alone.

I will add a further caution for western ladies - under no circumstances should you go anywhere alone with any male that you have not known for a long time.

Do not think that because some fellow sits in meditation pose or speaks of religious matters that he is spiritual. Watch carefully if you are approached and see if the fellow approaches other women. If he does then avoid him - his intent is sex, money or both.

Do not think that because some fellow wears orange that he is a sadhu (holy man) - 99% of those wearing this garb are beggars or worse.

Four years ago I was told that three of these ochre-robed fellows raped a 12 year old, very pretty, but mentally challenged Indian girl in the college ground near the ashram.

When the police 'are' informed they will try to do their best with limited resources.

However, prevention is the better course ..... you will rarely see any Indian lady climbing the mountain or performing girvalam alone, they take this stance out of caution that has been drummed into them since birth and not because they feel lonely.

Do the same!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Rape and Robbery at Arunachala
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »
It is deeply saddening to hear these updates especially in Arunachala, in the Hill itself.

Makes me wonder, Why? Why not atleast not here! Please leave this place at least on earth alone!

I understand, woman folks are best advised not to venture alone on the hill, inner path Girivalam. I too have heard from some trusted locals who advised even me, men, also not to venture alone as there are a lot of rogues who are ready to beat people red and blue and grab whatever money they have.

But, can we (male) still venture into the inner path alone? is it advisable? I have always found the inner path very peaceful, with the pleasant chirping of birds, sounds of the air brushing with the leaves of trees, and in the presence and upon the Holy hill is very enticing and divine and makes me feel at peace with the Self as if in presence of Ramana Maharshi Himself.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes it is horrifying that such things happen here, but they do and there have been far worse things happen than I have reported above.

Despite the cautions people still do the stupidest things out of misplaced faith and trust.

It also appears that the police are not trained or equipped to investigate these matters properly (forensically) so the criminals feel free to commit their crimes unmolested.

There is the real danger that these deviants will start to enjoy their brutality and want to commit more and more crimes, each worse than the last, until finally someone stops them.

I really don't want to put such items on my site, but it is our duty to try to protect those innocents who come here for spiritual purposes.

Graham

Akira

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »
  It is natural for western visitors to believe that Tiruvannamalai is a holy place and nothing bad can happen, when Bhagavan speaks so highly of Arunachala.
  Hearing that anyone who lives near the hill would be benefited from its grace, one might imagine that everyone in Tiruvannamalai would be a good person.
  Only after one visits and stays there for a certain period, he finds that Tiruvannamalai is no dream land he had expected.

In deeper sense, bad events too must have their meaning. It might be a purification process of jivas.
Even though it could make one wonder 'what happend to the grace of the hill?' .

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:27:02 AM »
I agree with graham although I think there is a slant in the article (probably unintended) implying that only western women are in danger. I came to know of an incident a few years back where an Indian woman was followed by a western man up the hill. He clearly did not have good intentions. Finally the woman had to run out of virupaksha cave and towards the ashram since she realized there was nobody else besides the two of them in the cave.

Everyone needs to extremely vigilant. The place seems to have deviants from all over the world.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
Let us not forget that Ramana himself was attacked whilst living at Thiruvannamalai.

When Ramana Maharshi was being robbed, his devotees wanted to attack the robbers, and he said, "No, no, no.  It's our Dharma to be what we are, and it's their Dharma to be what they are.  We should not interfere with their Dharma, therefore give them what they want."

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
There is divine justice in action here, that is for certain, but it does mean that people should throw caution to the wind.

Bhagavan himself insisted that ladies should not go around the hill alone - for a very good reason. This has got more to do with vasanas than Dharma. When people come here, everything rises to the surface, good and bad alike. People are supposed to address these issues, not indulge in them.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
Is not caution another branch of fear? Destiny will play out the way it is supposed to. When Bhagavan was hit on the leg with a stick, and refused to identify his attackers to the police, his devotees asked why?

''If you wish to know why they have hit me with a stick, you must find out who i have hit with a stick in a past life''.

This quote is from memory so please forgive me if the exact wording is not correct however Who is being cautious? Who fearful? Who is it that is being attacked? Who is attacking? All roads lead back to ''Who am i?''

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

Everything is prarabdha (divine dispensation).  But at the same,
we should also act with some caution for our safety.  Sri Ramakrishna
was once approached by a fellow who was injured by a rogue elephant. He told SRK:  "Takur!  I was thinking that the elephant is Narayana.
But it has injured me."  SRK said:  Did you not hear the elephant-
trainer's caution? saying "Go away, go away, the rogue elephant is
coming!"

Arunachala Siva.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:11:27 AM »
Adam,

When you drive your vehicle, cross a road, or perform any other potentially dangerous action in life, do you wear a blindfold? If you have children, do you tell them to go out at night alone, trust everyone who approaches them and do whatever they demand, or run across roads without looking first?

Just how far does your faith in the inevitability of karma go?

Your understanding of this subject is based upon few lines in some book, which may or may not be true, and as such is as good as no understanding at all.

If it were not possible to overcome destiny, then there would be no hope of spiritual advancement at all, because such advancement is totally dependent upon defeating karma.

Graham

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:09:53 PM »
Yes, I think it's best to remember that Ramana himself was robbed and beaten by thieves there.

The world of maya still does what it does no matter who shows up...
Christ is crucified, Buddha eats tainted rice, Ramana dies of painful cancer etc. etc. and we don't understand why these terrible things happen. 

It is very common, though for places connected with saintly people to be seen as some kind of heaven on earth, because it was to the degree that heaven was brought to earth in the hearts of some, but Ramana said of the thieves "They are blinded by ignorance... but let us note what is right and stick to it".

Notice how he begins by explaining the source of the thieves behavior and then brings ones attention away from the others to oneself?

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »
Ramana has clearly stated:

The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their
prarabdhakarma (destiny to be worked out in this life, resulting
from the balance sheet of actions in past lives). Whatever is
destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever
is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it.
This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
Dear Adam,

In your quote it states: The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their prarabdhakarma ....

It does not say: The fate of souls 'is' in accordance with their prarabdhakarma ....

I recommend that you read Talk number 244 in "Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi"

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
You are right brother, turning within is the only thing which can overcome destiny. However, so long as one believes he is the body, karma must bear its fruit. In reality, the self alone exists but the appearance of all things including karma will continue so long as one believes in the ''I am the body'' idea. Until one realizes no-thing exists, karma, destiny, and rebirth will appear to be real and suffering will continue. The question is, ''who suffers?''.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
Explained more thoroughly here by Bhagavan himself...

Is Everything Predetermined?
By A. Devaraja Mudaliar

ONE summer afternoon I was sitting opposite
Bhagavan with a fan in my hand in the Old Hall,
and said to him: “I can understand that the outstanding
events in a man’s life, such as his country, nationality, family,
career or profession, marriage, death, etc. are all predestined
by his karma, but can it be that all the details of his
life, down to the minutest, have already been determined?
Now, for instance, I put this fan that is in my hand down
on the floor here. Can it be that it was already decided
that on such and such a day, at such and a such an hour, I
shall move the fan like this and put it down here?”
Bhagavan replied, “Certainly.” He continued:
“Whatever this body is to do and whatever experiences it
is to pass through was already decided when it came into
existence.”
     Thereupon I naturally exclaimed: “What becomes then
of man’s freedom and responsibility for his actions?”
Bhagavan explained: “The only freedom man has is to
strive for and acquire the jnana which will enable him not