Author Topic: Asthavakra Gita - 13 [Verse 6: You are not the mind]  (Read 3368 times)

srkudai

Asthavakra Gita - 13 [Verse 6: You are not the mind]
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
Previous: http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=4217.0

Verse 6:
Dharmadharmau sukham dukkham manasani na the vibho.
na kartasi na bhoktasi mukta-eva asi sarvada

Dharma , Adharma, comfort and discomfort are of the mind not to you! You are neither the doer nor the enjoyer. You are Ever Free.

This is essentially the essence of Self Inquiry. This verse says "You are Ever Free"
To say "You become free by doing this..." is a lie. One does not become free. One IS Free.
The fundamental problem of people is they feel they are incomplete. We are all searching for a way out of the sense of incompleteness that is lurking within.
When such a person goes to a true Guru, the guru does not give him a "Technique" to make him complete. The Guru simply states: You are Already Complete.
And that is a striking statement. I am feeling incomplete, I am suffering in life... if I list all my troubles these pages would not be sufficient ... and this Guru tells me "You are Complete" ... naturally, the disciple will , at first , be taken aback to say the least.

So some psuedo guru would say "Ok, do pranayam" or "Ok, Do japa" ... that will make you complete. And one is more prone to such techniques.
But Ashtavakra is straight to the point. he says "You are Complete" ... You are ever Free! Ever Liberated!

Then, sir, what are all these ? My worries, my troubles etc ?

Ashtavakra says : Those are of the mind. Why are you bothered ? The mind is like a machine working in the presence of Self. it has comfort thoughts, discomfort thoughts, doer thoughts, non-doer thoughts , it has thoughts of right and wrong, dharmam and adharmam ... you are none of these. You are not the mind!

This is the direct Truth ... Self Inquiry. Many people keep asking "How to do self inquiry"... this explains it!

Just Remain , you are not the Mind!

Scriptures explain that its all due to association. When Agaru [incense sticks] are kept with water ... due to association , they give foul smell !
When disassociated with water ... the True Smell shines forth.

Same here ... disassociate with mind!

Ramana explains it with the example of a person who looked into the well and thought that his head has fallen into the well ! The solution is not to stop looking at the water ... the solution is to know that the head in the water is not he!!

Love!
Silence

nonduel

• View Profile
Re: Asthavakra Gita - 13 [Verse 6: You are not the mind]
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
Dear Skrudai,

ALL IS Brahman, one without a second. All the sadhana in the world, won't get one closer to what he IS. The struggle for liberation is rather funny because one is trying, to become what one IS.

It is impossible to get OUT, to be separated of Brahman.

Then why all the fuss?  The feeling of incompleteness is only because of the thought I am the body. One can do yoga, japas and anything else in a dream but that has no effect to the fact that he is the Dreamer, was, is and will ever BE.

The Ribhu Gita, page after page after page, relentlessly say to be convinced of this Truth. And after reading one ask how can I become liberated? Thus just BE...you ARE what you are looking for.  One cannot be anything else! The problem is wanting THE big experience. The sadhana is a BEING not a doing. This will "eventually" clean the dust (thoughts, mind) on the glass of the lamp (Self). Then one realises that he has always been Brahman...Tat Svam Asi. The clouds only hide the sun which is always shining.

All the striving, efforts, denies Tat Svam Asi, and re-enforce the thought I am the body. Sri Anamalai...YOU are NOT the mind!

With Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
Once someone came to Bhagavan Ramana and asked Him:
Bhagavan!  If Siva appears before you, what shall you ask him?

Bhagavan Ramana smiled and said:  "I shall tell Siva:  Do not
keep this coming and going business with me!"

This is the thing.  This is the crux of the matter.  Liberation is
a State and not a statement.  All that we are doing through
prayers and meditation, puja and yoga is only to remove the
shackles of the mind (and thoughts).  In this way, Ribhu Gita,
(I have not read much of Ashtavakra Gita, even though there is
a small booklet by Viswanatha Swami done as per the advice of
Bhagavan Ramana.) stands heads and shoulders above the other
scriptures  - to make us move from the statements to the State.  One can read it even if one does not understand its meaning.  That is what Bhagavan Ramana said to Sampuranamma.  Read and it will descend on you!

Only faith and conviction are required as Ribhu Gita itself says.

All are dual.  Bhagavan Ramana was bold enough to tell Sivaprakasam Pillai, (He was 21 and Pillai was a few years older):
"What is Real is only Atma Swarupam.  The world, the jiva and
the Iswara (personal god in forms) are all imaginations like silver
in the oyster shell!  He said this because He had the experience,
and He became the Experience.

Arunachala Siva.

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
Dear Subramanian-ji
Dear Srkudai-ji,

Yes, yes! This is the explanation in BE still and KNOW I AM GOD. Stop worrying, stop being discouraged, stop trying and just BE. You ARE what you are looking for, thus you can ONLY BE what you are. You cannot FIND what you are, you cannot have an experience of what you ARE...you can ONLY BE IT.

ALL THE REST is only the mind...and YOU--- are NOT--- the mind!  

What's left?  Just abiding in beingness, just relax and BE. What Sri Sadhu Om called "Self-Attention". This is the Nemesis of the mind. Nothing else to do because there is no "do-er".

Dare have this CONVICTION!

With Love
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:22:19 PM by nonduel »
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
Dear I,

The one who has (attained/got) that conviction will not know his conviction. That one that wants such conviction is not there. He will not bother to affirm that He is Brahman, He Is.

these knowledge/affirmations etc... are all for just the mind/'I'

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta