Author Topic: Smaranat Arunachalam  (Read 1267 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Smaranat Arunachalam
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:29 AM »
Smaranat Arunachalam is a famous saying and tells us that the
mere memory of Arunachala can bring salvation.  Bhagavan Ramana
Himself has written a Tamil poem on this under Sri Arunachala Maahatmayam.

Smaranat Ramana Maharshi - may well be added as a true supplementary saying.  I have gone to Him often during these
forty years and more.  I do not why.  Proabably, i have done so
because of some karma bond or vasana, or becaue of some
ellective affinity.  Can any of us find any satisfying reason for the
deepest things of life say, for instance, birth or death or spiritual knowledge or experience of Blessedness or Holiness?  "The companionship of previous births rooted in the depths of Unconsciousness" says the supreme poet of India, Kalidasa.

I have seen the Maharshi when He was in a small cave up the
Hillside, shunning human society and wrapt in uncanny and unbroken silence.  I have seen Him when He came a little down the Hillside and dwelt on its lower stretches.  A room with a verandah all round took the place of the narrow dimunitive cave.  Whenever I saw Him,. during these later days, I used to ply Him with questions about the soul and He used to smile and give brief, bright, blessed replies dispelling doubt.  I have seen Him since a in a spacious room amidst a handsome pile of buildings which are yet growing in number and in size.  A shrine was built in memory of His Holy Mother, who has passed into the Beyond and become one with God.  His present abode is at the foot of the Hll.  His coming down thus from the Hillside to the Hillbase is symbolical of the new urge, the urge to commune with God and also to build the Kingdom of God on the earth.

Was it the stately presence of the silent Hill seen through the windows that spoke to our souls with a solemn silent stillness?
Was it the holy mood of the Master in His introverted introspection?
Was it still small voice of everyone there wrapt into a kindered mood by a force subtle and unseen, but powerful and felt within?  We sat
there, and time rolled on while we were oblivious to its course.
Each felt a sense of inner release and was as happy as a bird.

This sense of happiness and inner peace is one that want.  And
that is why they come again and again to Him, even after His
Maha Nirvana.  The abidance into that inner happiness and peace
is the seekers' want and His grace is bound to do that for the sincere seekers.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana. Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume
6, an article by Sri K.S. Ramaswami Sastri.)

Arunachala Siva.