Author Topic: Attend to the work for which you have come!  (Read 6306 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Attend to the work for which you have come!
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:42 AM »
Bhagavan Ramana invariably used to tell devotees, Vandha
Velaiyai Paar.... i.e Attend to the work for which you have come!

We, human beings have all come here to this world, for the
purpose of attaining salvation.  That is the work for which we
have come.

Once a devotee was sleeping in the middle of the Old Hall.
He would come promptly by 8 am and started dozing off, whether
there were conversations or not.  One attendant was annoyed
by this.  He went to him and woke him up.  But he would doze
off in another few minutes.  The attendant again used to do
his 'waking up'.  Bhagavan Ramana saw this and told the attendant:
Oye, He has been attending to the work for which he had come.  You attend to your work for which you have come!  Why are you troubling him?"

Arunachala Siva.         

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Attend to the work for which you have come!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

Attend to the work for which you have come!

Subramaniam Sir ,

The above statement of Bhagwan coupled with the statement "Mind your business" is the most powerful Mantra I have ever experienced .
Whenever I find myself being overtly Critical or Judgmental of others I remind myself of this Maha Mantra : "Mind Your Business , Attend to what you have come " .
I understood this Maha Mantra in the Context of Bhagawan advising others who were Critical of the way the Ashram was being run by his brother Chinnaswamy and that Bhagwan was just keeping quiet . I got it from the book "Living by the Words of Bhagawan ": by David Godman
No doubt opinions do keep coming to my mind about how others should be , why people behave the way they are etc etc , but I see to it that those opinions rise and fall naturally without myself allowing it to dominate too much and spoil my mental peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Yes. These are Maha mantras.  Sri Bhagavan has also said two other Maha Mantras. Muruganar refers to them in
his Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai;

irunthapadiye iru - be as you are!

irai aruL cheluthum  vazhikke sel - go as the the grace of God or Guru, directs you .

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Dear Subramanian.R, Nice story. I remember another story,i think you wrote that also,when some devotee was massaging Bhagavan's feets,and in the middle of it Bhagavan stoped him and start doing massage by himself,and told him "Whay you should have all the merit",i should earn some for myself.":-) I dont remember story exactly,but that was very cute and funny to me. Whenever i remember it,i start smiling.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes. True. On another occasion, when the attendant was ready with the stick and kamandalu, Sri Bhagavan said
humorously:  "See, the monkey owner is ready. This monkey has to go with him!'. Then He went for the stroll on the
Hill with him!

Arunachala Siva.   

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
Yes, these stories of Bhagawan are so inspiring.. each as powerful as a Mahavakya.

I don't remember where I read it. But when devotees were singing the "ramana sadguru" song, Bhagawan joined them in the singing. When the people asked why, he asked "Why not? After all, you are not singing about this body, but about the Ramana sadguru who is within all including this body"
Shows how unwaveringly he disassociated from his body.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
Dear Subramanian.R,Dear Deepa, :-)Yes,all those stories are truly inspiring and beautiful. There is so much beauty and meanings in them,and in the same time,all that was so spontaneous,innocent. Every one of those stories is showing us That "state" in wich he was,how he saw everything around him. And,yes Deepa,that is the main point. How beautiful is that!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Dear Jewell, deepa,

Smt. Kanakammal in her Cherished Memories, has written a chapter on Sri Bhagavan's hAsyam i.e humor. It is very
beautiful.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Thank you very much for that information! I didnt knew that,and i will read it certainly.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Once there was a sadhu who was sitting in front of the Asramam (across the road) in a mantapam and was giving vibhuti
and said that this vibhuti would cure all illnesses.  When devotees told this to Sri Bhagavan, He said: Oh, is it so? Then
bring the medicated oil. I shall be applying the oil for my legs, so that when these people come to me for similar vibhuti,
they will see me applying the oil and then simply go away, saying: How can this Swami cure my illness, when He is himself
applying oil for his rheumatic pain?  Every body in the Hall laughed.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
 :D :D
How Great Bhagawan is! I love those stories!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Sri Bhagavn's humor is harmless. Sometimes, He will cut joke on Himself.  But never at the expense of others. 

During His final illness when the elbow wound has grown into an apple size and blood was oozing slowly from it,
Sri Bhagavan said humorously: See this is not sarcoma. This is Suryakantam (a stone which emits red rays when
exposed to the sun). I think only when a Brahma Jnani who has totally jettisoned mind/body complex, can cut jokes
upon Him and His illnesses.

He is a great physician. His only medicine, the Hill Medicine, He calls it ,is only to cure this disease of birth and death.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
Dear Subramanian.R, Yes,and can there be better cure than that!?! What can we ask more. Bhagavan shows us through His own exsample how we shall look on illness of the body. And not only that,He is taking us there,step by step,like father,like mother her child...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Once devotes brought a table fan for Sri Bhagavan's use, since it was a hot summer. Sri Bhagavan, like a child, was asking
how it works, how to put it on, how it put it off etc., The devotees were very happy and they thought Sri Bhagavan likes
the implement and explained everything. 

As soon as it was switched on, after some time, it started making a terrible noise. Even conversations could not be
heard properly.  Sri Bhagavan became a little annoyed. The fan continued its noise as if it is a rice mill.

Soon Vedapada Sala boys came for Veda Parayana.  Sri Bhagavan said: All these times, we have heard the 'parayana'
of this table fan. Now let us hear the Veda Parayana. Please take this table fan to the Office. They may need it.
I don't want. My hand fan is sufficient for me.

The devotees reluctantly took away the table fan!

Arunachala Siva.   ,   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
:-D I am picturing this in my head,and just had a really good laugh. Funny story.:-) Thank You Subramanian sir!