Author Topic: The Witness of the Movie  (Read 24528 times)

srkudai

The Witness of the Movie
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »
I was watching a movie and during the process, forgot that i am the one watching --- and took myself to be a character in the movie!

Bhagavad Gita says "Dhyayathe vishayan pumshah" ... by meditating on the objects of senses ... this whole world came into existence.

So too ... by meditating on the movie character as myself, i started identifying myself constantly with the movie character ....

The "I" of the mind is this character.

And now ... I need to practice ... everytime i fall into the "movie" [mind], i need to see the source of "me"... the Witness, Pure Consciousness!

Love!
Silence

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: The Witness of the Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
Is it possible having the true "I"ness and watching the movie. I think it is possible before watching the movie or at the end. Otherwise we do not remember
the story or the actions of the characters. Because mind cannot do two things at one time. I may be wrong.

There is the proverb. when we see the statue of the elephant we cannot see the stone in which the elephant was made. But when we see the stone
we cannot see the elephant.

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
So in every moment we should not forget that whatever we are seeing, hearing,tasting,smelling and feeling is not real. Even my breath also not real?. Ok fine.
I also tried no, of times. Before seeing the movie or Tv, I remember it is not real. But in middle I forget and sometimes I cry also. At the end I and my mind will argue for my actions. It is not only in movie. It happens in every moment.  So far practicing atma vichara, i will be clear after sometimes. but previously I never used to be. the impact is less now. It looks like daily I am writing one examination. Previously I had been doing without knowing how to face the problem.
Now I find difficult to deal with people like servants and relations. The opposite person is doing on the basis of her mind because she does not belive any vedanta or atma vichara. When I give answer to the person, she or he does not expect such answer from me, and says it is wrong statement and sometimes they say
it is waste to talk to me. As I understand now clearly as you said so many times in your post. the consiousness cannot be touches by any one. now I remember these words, so I do not get angry but still some funny feeling is arising from my heart. Sometimes I think whether am I making the other person unhappy by not accepting their views. But after one month if i remember it does not look same because the time does the healing.
While making big decisons we cannot sit by witnessing. Is there any way?

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Excellent.

Dear Ramanaduli,

Yes,  this is what Ribhu Gita says.  Everything is unreal and
I am (Brahman) the only Reality.

Arunachala Siva.

amiatall

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Everything is illusion. (by its own)
Only God is real.
God Is Everything. (as God)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
Dear I,

I'd like to make a small change here.

Everything is illusion, everything is unreal, etc... is also an illusion. The one that is discriminating this is illusion himself. because everything cannot be illusion, everything cannot be unreal. We cannot define the "everything", it is illusion to even continue something after "everything......"

There is only Atma, Brahman, or there is nothing and everything alone and the one that is telling this is again Illusion itself. The very effort to affirm that everything is illusion is illusion. I just re-iterate this statement that "Thinking Maya as Maya is the greatest Maya"

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
There is a difference in between with the non living things and living things. The world contains living and non living things. If the chair is neglected by me there is no one being affected but on the other hand if I make a person (living thing) unhappy then it is a sin. When people are suffering or being unhappy, how we can be a witness. My mind is geting confused.

ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
Dear I,

Being a witness helps quieten the mind, its just like a praanayaama. It stops you from jumping about like a monkey. But also, we should be aware
that the Self is Non Witness. The Self is not a witness. Enquire if there is a witness and a witnessed!

Bhagawan says:

"All that you have to do is to give up being aware of other things, that is of the non-self - 'ego'. If one gives upbeing aware of them then pure awareness alone remains, and that is the Self"

Once a devotee asked Ramana Maharshi - "I do not know how to worship, please tell me, how do I worship?" Bhagawan replied replied - "enquire if there is Worshiped and a worshiper"

So never give any scope of duality.

Actually many Sadhanas or methods are only a quick solution to quietining the mind but not themselves an end to itself to the Self. It sometimes may make one stay put.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15:11 PM »
Dear I,

The very word "manonasham" itself means destruction of mind. When there is destruction of mind how can there possibly be any thoughts. If there are thoughts, then there is perception, at least the perception that these thoughts do not affect me. Mind or Manam itself is thought.

How can there possibly be thoughts after Manonasham?

Manonasham is absolutely no thoughts at all.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Dear I,

How can we know if Ramana Maharshi had thoughts? is it not us who are assuming? and similarly with Janaka as well. It is the reader, who is imagining about the state of Ramana or Janaka.

Pls see, who is it that is questioning - "how is it without thoughts" is nothing but a thought. You are just a thought!

The idea that they had thoughts and functioned is our own thought again.

To your last question, you ask "whose thoughts? see if you sit and stop thoughts in your mind ... but my mind has thoughts ... can you say you do not have thoughts? if so, you are identifying with that mind, isnt it ?"

You yourself are just a thought. How can thought kill thought?

You - I are nothing but just a thought!

Manonasham is destruction of You - I.

Salutation to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
If in a  thoughtless state (mano nasam), why not a Jnani write
books and converse with others?  If the Self is one without a second,
all powerful and eternal, ever pure, can it not do these things.  If
I scratch my elbow or touch my cheek, which is part of me, is it
dvaitic bhavana?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
Dear srkudai,

In this context, I shall give you a rough translation of the Invocatory
Song in Tiruvilaiyadal Puranam, which euologizes Sri Dakshinamurty.

It says:

He is sitting under an old stonelike banyan tree.  He is beyond the
four Vedas and six Vedangas.  He tells His state to Sanaka etc.,
"by remaining  as He is, and telling without telling".  Let us contemplate on Him, thinking without thinking about Him."

Telling without telling, thinking without thinking... how can these
happen?  Saiva Siddhantam says that a thoughtless mind, can
shoot out thoughts and activities, through the Self.

I am still trying to understand this song more clearly.  I asked
one inmate of Asramam, about this song.  He says, "that is what
it is, whether you comprehend or not!"

Saint Taymanavar says:  "I have found you without finding you."
Saint Manikkavachagar says: " I am sleeping without sleeping,
to discover you in my heart."

I am sure these are all not poetic gimmicks.  It is a state, which
Jnanis alone know.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
Dear I,

If self is "writing books" , "giving talks", why not thinking ?
Can not Self do that?

And who does not have thoughts? The Self in Ramana is the same as the Self here .So that Body Ramana had no thoughts , but this body of Ramana has thoughts!
While Ramana himself --- Consciousness is Ever Thoughtless ! Here as well as there!

It is not the Self that does all these, but the I - mind, thought, ego.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
Dear I,

Infact Sri Ramana Maharshi is verily Dakshinamurthy himself just below the Arunachala hill instead of a Banyan tree.

Ramana is ever seated like Dakshinamurthy. It is only the I - thoughts - mind that is seeing Ramana in action.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:08 PM »
Dear I,

Can you rephrase your questions, I am not able to follow your questions.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta