Author Topic: Madhura Bhakti  (Read 4384 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Madhura Bhakti
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
Once Balakrishna, stealthily entered the house of a milkmaid and brought down the milk pot held in the suspended net sling. In the mean while he heard the footsteps of Gopika. In a split, Balakrishna broke open the pot and the milk was split all over the floor. He drenched His tiny feet in the milk an ran out hurriedly leaving a trail of His footprints behind. The Gopika entered the scene and got irritated at the sight of the split milk. She wailed, Oh Lord! How to get along with with this disastrous Balakrishna? Day by day He is crossing all limits. Swearing thus she followed the fresh footprints of the tiny feet and caught the thief, who was awaiting for her. Overcome by anger she raised her hand to slap him. Balakrishna pretended as if in fear, and slyly looked at her (just like the graceful eyes of our beloved Ramana)

Gopika struck by the graceful frightened look, felt helpless and defeated. The hands, which were raised, to beat suddenly grabbed Him and embraced Him. she covered Him with shower of kisses.

Why did this "Chitta Chora" the thief of Chittam, leave His footprints openly? The reason is cleaar, so that the milkmaid could come face to face with Him, with the help of His footprints. By this act He enlightened the world the eternal truth that one can reach Him only through the refuge of His Feet. Following His footsteps is the right path for liberation.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

arcsekar

• View Profile
Re: Madhura Bhakti
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing this anecdote and the clear message to grab the Lotus Feet of Lord. I wish to narrate one more Balakrishna Leela. A Gopi struggling to lift the milk pots sought the help of Krishna , the Menace .He just shrugged and refused. Still, he surreptiously  followed her and when she reached a house and was about to unload  her pots, there Krishna appeared. He offered her a helping hand. The Gopi chided and tried to drive him away with the remark ' You let me down when I wanted your help and now rushing to help me--out--'

Krishna retorted 'I never attempt to add burden to anyone and make things difficult, I always help to lighten and share any burden from a person"

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
Dear I,

yes, Krishna Leelas are verily nectar - Amrut. sinking in Krishna Consciousness would result in attaining the Self.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:24:10 PM »
Talking about Tiruppavai and Andal,

In a place of Srivilliputtur in Tamil Nadu there was a great devotee called Vishnu Chitta. As we can guess by his name, he was an ardent devotee of Sriman Narayana. His house was surrounded by big garden and he took great care and put much effort earnestly in maintaining the various flowering plants. His daily routine was to make a big garland out of these flowers to adorn his Deity, Sriman Narayana. One day when he was digging the ground, he heard some bells ringing, tinkling sounds and he went closer and carefully pushed aside the plants and, he removed a very beautiful box and in it he found a cute and beautiful baby girl with a sweet angel like face. He took her into his arms and proceeded to his his house and as there were no females, it was difficult

for him to foster the baby, but as she was a God given gift he undertook the task enthusiastically. He brought her up with lot of love and affection. He named her as 'Godha' simply meaning "that which has been gifted by mother earth" (Kodai in tamil - "the beauty of rising out due to curly shining hair"). Vishnu Chitta began to call her 'Andal' which means, "one who attracts everybody" she was a darling of everybody.

She grew up and helped him in his daily chores. She would pluck flowers and made them into beautiful garlands. She would be so fascinated at the galands that she stealthily wore them on herself and put them back into the basket without anybody's knowldge. Vishnu Chita discovered thsi and he as deeply hurt. He was taken by grief an was shocked, because the garlands were menst for the lord. He warned the girl not to do such a thing again. His heart would not permit him to adorn this garland to Lord Vishnu, thus there was no garland that day. But he heard his Lord Vishnu say that the garland worn by Godha was filled with devotion so it is very much liked by Him. From that day on Vishnu  Chitta would adorn the Lord with the garland that has ben already worn by Godha. This is a very good example of the one who has realised Advaita, Non-Duality.

Godha was so devoted to Lord Vishnu that she always uttered his name as 'Ranganatha' and considered Him as her husband. She grew up to a marriageable age. She vowed that she would not marry any one bu her Sri Ranganatha. This perturbed Vishnu Chitta very much and was worried. But Godha Devi did not lose hope, in the month of Margasshirsha (now) she got up early at Brahma Muhurtam and had cold water bath and observed the Vratam in order to please Sri Ranganatha. one night, Vishnu Chitta, in his dream, Sriman Narayana advised him to give Godha in mariage to Him. Godha Devi beautifully dressed like a bridegroom reached the temple of Lord Vishnu in Sriragam. The marriage was conducted on a very grand scale.

She was always immersed in sweet thoughts of Sri Ranganatha and got herself a position as a 'Devi' eigible for prayer. This great devotion of hers is a wonderful eample of Madhura Bhakthi, which made her exempplary in the history of Lord Ranganatha and remaining as his beloved.

She composed the famous Tiruppavai which is sung in most temples in Tamil Nadu wih great ferver.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:27:56 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »
Dear Nagaraj, arcsekar,

Thanks for the nice stories on the pranks of Balakrishna.  The story
about AndaL's birth and growing with Vishnu Chitta, who is her foster
father is also beautiful.  AndaL was not born from the womb of a
mother.  She is Lakshmi, divine incarnation, suddenly found by
Vishnu Chitta one morning under the tulsi plant of the gardens.
She is called Godha Devi in North India and Kodai / AndaL in
South India.  Srivilliputtur, where I lived for 5 years and had
my school education because my father was the District Educational
Officer there is still rich in my memory.  There in our street, every
girl was either Kodai or Andal or Lakshmi or Ranganayaki and every
boy was either Kannan, Srinivasan or Ranga Mannar.  In fact, my
mother named her last girl child (my youngest sister as AndaL.
We were the only Smarthas (Advaitis) in that street! But neighbours
moved with us without hesitation and mingled with our family.
For my Upanayana, when I was 12 years old, the Sri Vaishna houswives and girls took food in our house, which is prohibited
as per their religious practices!

Krishna Mathuryam is Ramana Jnanam.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
Dear I,

I cant tell how much fortunate you are to have been grown up in such a town that has so much legend about its history compared to my generations, we are born in midst of TV, Concrete buildings, Money, all all the filth of corruption of Kali. No to deny that this existed in your days but there is quite a difference. People in the colony knew everybody each other. Today, people dont even have time to talk.

Those days there was Satsang between people naturally, but its a sad story today because Satsang is an event Management, Paid, costly. That simplicity and innocence of people seem to have lost today.

Yes Krishna Maadhuryam melts the heart. That boy, who is he? like Ramana, comes and verily pulls us with his twine like Yama Deva with his Death Twine or (Paasha Kairu in Tamil)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta