Author Topic: Annamalai Swami and Ramana Maharshi  (Read 15677 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Annamalai Swami and Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »
Dear Subramanian.R and all,

I saw that there was some difficulty in the forum with the subject of killing/controlling the mind and waited to see if it cleared up.

Sages like Bhagavan speak to devotees in language that they can understand, yet at the same time are careful not to mislead.

Killing the mind means 'killing thought by replacing it with only one thought - preferably that of Self-enquiry' ....

From Day by Day with Bhagavan

8-11-45 Morning

When (on 2-11-45) Mr. Roy asked Bhagavan the best way of killing the ego, Bhagavan said, “To ask the mind to kill the mind is like making the thief the policeman. He will go with you and pretend to catch the thief, but nothing will be gained. So you must turn inward and see where the mind rises from and then it will cease to exist.” In reference to this answer, Mr. Thambi Thorai of Jaffna (who has been living in Palakothu for over a year) asked me, whether asking the mind to turn inward and seek its source is not also employing the mind. So, I put this doubt before Bhagavan and Bhagavan said, “Of course we are employing the mind. It is well known and admitted that only with the help of the mind the mind has to be killed. But instead of setting about saying there is a mind, and I want to kill it, you begin to seek the source of the mind, and you find the mind does not exist at all. The mind, turned outwards, results in thoughts and objects. Turned inwards, it becomes itself the Self. Such a mind is sometimes called arupa manas or suddha manas.”

----------------

Thus it is with the modern-day fad of 'watching the mind'. Who is watching whom and with what? It leads absolutely nowhere unless you become aware of the seer at the moment of separation, otherwise the thief/policeman analogy above applies in this case also.

The outgoing mind is like a deceitful prostitute, it will go anywhere with anything and at the same time try to fool you into thinking it is your loyal and obedient servant. This is my own experience.

Self-realisation can only take place in thought-free consciousness. All efforts are to be directed to that only.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »
a further more to add, some of Bhagawan's quotes. Also it is very important to be aware that the answers of Bhagawan in Talks and any of the books were exclusively for the questioner in the book and at various instances Bhagawan Himself has given different answers to same kind of questions to various devotees. When we read the questions and Answers of Bhagawan, we have to first ask ourselves, whether 'I', - doubter have the same question in him. At all times, Bhagawan's answers were tailor made according to the 'Pakva' of the Devotees.

At most, the Limited-I, or the False-I, what it can only do is to become aware of its own limitedness, that is all, there is nothing more the enquirer can do. A state of absolute 'giving-up', 'Sharanagati'.

D.: Is not affirmation of God more effective than the quest, “who am
I?” Affirmation is positive, whereas the other is negation. Moreover,
it indicates separateness.

M.: So long as you seek to know how to realise, this advice is given to
find your Self. Your seeking the method denotes your separateness.
___

D.: What is moksha (liberation)?

M.: Moksha is to know that you were not born. “Be still and know
that I am God.”
To be still is not to think. Know, and not think, is the word
___

That which makes the enquiry is the ego. The 'I' about
which the enquiry is made is also the ego. As a result of
enquiry, the ego ceases to exist and only the Self is
found to exist.
___

All doubts will cease only when the doubter and his source
have been found. Seek the source of the doubter, and you
will find that he is really non existent
___

Later Sri Bhagavan continued: It is said “I AM that I AM”. That
means a person must abide as the ‘I’. He is always the ‘I’ alone.
He is nothing else. Yet he asks “Who am I?” A victim of illusion
would ask “Who am I?” and not a man fully aware of himself.
The wrong identity of the Self with the non-self makes you ask,
“Who am I?”
____

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
Dear Sri Graham,

Thank you, once again, Sir.  Thank you, Nagaraj.  Saint Tayumanavar
says:  "It is that religion, which will be my religion, which teaches
me how to kill the mind!"   As you have correctly said that Bhagavan
Ramana always spoke in a language that is suitable for the particular
devotee, without giving room for misleading.  In fact,  He had given
mantra upadesa, only for three people, Muruganar (Siva, Siva),
Annamalai Swami, (Siva, Siva) and an unknown Harijan (Siva, Siva).
He has on another occasion said:  I AM or I is a more sublime mantra than even Om.  All these have to be understood contextually.

Arunachala Siva.