Author Topic: Narada Bhakti Sutras -2  (Read 1134 times)

srkudai

Narada Bhakti Sutras -2
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
Verse2: And It is of the Form of Supreme Love For HIM

The first description of Bhakti is  --- its of the form of Supreme Love For HIM. HIM here refers to God.
When someone wants to know about bhakti, its explained in terms of things he or she already knows. We all know Love. Love is a feeling we have some understanding about. The mother loves her child, a child loves its mother, and so on. So Narada starts from here and then he says
Its Supreme Love.
What is Love? Love is a feeling of oneness.
I love a person when I am happy when she is happy and i am sad when she is sad ... that is oneness at the level of mind. That is love. When a person remains uninterested in the other person's feelings... its disinterest, not love. We need not go too much into attachment etc here. In bhakti tradition, attachment is not shunned, instead its transformed into Bhakti for Lord as we shall see a little later.

So what is "supreme" about it ? Let us see.
Suppose a mother loves her child --- and another mother loves her child even more, then we say that the second mother's love is higher. extending this ... Supreme Love means Love that is greater than any finite love. There is no finite limitation on it. There is no finite condition on it. Such kind of Love is Supreme Love!

If I depend on a thought for that love, and that thought does not arise, it is limited by the thought. i love when the thought is there, and i do not love when the thought is not there. That is not supreme Love. Its not Pure Bhakti. Its could be an intermediate state, but not Supreme Bhakti. So that means the thought of oneness is required for that love. That is limited love!
So bhakti is supreme form of Love!

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Narada Bhakti Sutras -2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
The Supreme Bhakti, also called Para-bhakti and living in the service
of God (Irai Pani Nittral = Muruganar) have been explained by
Bhagavan Ramana in His Upadesa Manjari (Spiritual Instructions)
to Natananda.

Arunachala Siva.