Author Topic: Illusion  (Read 3467 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Illusion
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
A master said to his disciple: By beloved disciple, this whole world is an illusion; use the stick of your discrimination and destroy this illusion; then you are free.

The disciple became pensive and then asked the master: Master, are you telling the truth? Is this whole world really an illusion?

The master replied: Have no doubt about it. Whatever you see is an illusion. Use your stick of discrimination and destroy this illusion. Be free.

The disciple took a stick and said: This is my stick of discrimination. Now let me first destroy the illusion I see before me.

The master sensed the intention of the disciple, quickly got up and fled.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Illusion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
The illusion of the reluctant Messiah!

Bhagavan Ramana Himself has said:  Practice Advaita, but not with
your Guru till you realize that you and the Guru are one without a
second.

Arunachala Siva.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 07:30:42 AM »
The story continues:

The master went to another disciple and said: My beloved disciple, this whole world is an illusion; use the stick of your discrimination and destroy this illusion; then you are free.

The disciple became thoughful and then said: So is there no reality anywhere?

master: Brahman is real and the world is an illusion. So says the saints and the scriptures.

disciple: Did the saints live in this world?

master: yes.

disciple: Then the saints are also illusions. Then whatever they said are also illusions; and since the scriptures are sayings of the saints, the scriptures too are illusions. How can we depend on the sayings of dream characters? When we have dreams do we rely on what the dream characters say and take any action?

The master smiled, got up and left.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:40:13 AM »
The story continues:

The master went to another disciple and said: My beloved disciple, this whole world is an illusion; use the stick of your discrimination and destroy this illusion; then you are free.

The disciple said: So all the saints and scriptures of the world are also illusions?
Now we are in this world and you say the world is an illusion.
If that is true, then when we wake up we will obviously find the world to be an illusion. Then does it mean the saints and the scriptures are eternally false?

amiatall

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
I noticed that Bhagavan appears in dreams with some saint, they go together always, but i don't remember who is that saint.
One of my dreams (i fell asleep while practicing self-inquiry):
Place: my country, some two fellows comes up to me (i am not yet aware that i am dreaming), one fellow asks in english where is such and such house, i answer him in english and they walk away. The fellow who asked me the question says to other fellow "what a wonderful english skills he has" (this is not true, but that fellow knew what to say and how i will react.. ->) and i start to feel how my ego is flattered, some nice emotion arises, but suddenly something clicks in me and i start to remember who these fellows are, at least one of them and i am in shock literally because i recognized Bhagavan with his stick, they are already 100 metres apart and i start running very fast because i know this chance i can't miss.. suddenly the fellow who asked me the question disappears and Ramana walks further and disappears too. But somehow i instinctively know where to run, i run up to some house, go up the stairs and ring the door. Ramana opens the door and says "Oh, so you came". I come in and suddenly we are sitting on the couch, the more i am there the more i start to be more "conscious". Interesting thing happens afterward: as i want to start to question something with "I ..." with that sound of "I" i suddenly feel that i have no questions  at all and Bhagavan says "yes yes, this I who is it?" all dream and everything disappears, the self-inquiry goes on... .

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:27:51 PM by amiatall »

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
But I think that the saint who got the dream of Bhagavan will not say that Bhagavan is only a dream entity. He has a reality and he can also appear in dream. We also sometimes get dreams of family members. Based on a dream the husband does not normally tell the wife: "yesterday, I say you in a dream, so from today goodbye".
---

The story continues:

The disciple said: Then is there no reality anywhere?

master: Brahman is real and the world is illusory, so says the saints and the scriptures.

disciple: If what you say is true, then master, you being in this world is giving indications of the reality.  Then within the dream world itself I am finding indications of the truth. Then what type of illusion is it which gives indications of the truth within it? If indications of the truth is there, then truth must be very near, behind the indications of truth. So I do not know how one can say that the world is full illusion. It seems to me that it is more appropriate to say it is part illusion with pointers to truth within it.

amiatall

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »
But I think that the saint who got the dream of Bhagavan will not say that Bhagavan is only a dream entity.

Who says so?
Reality is beyond any description. Dream is just another world like this one and since most people mistake Bhagavan for body, the appearance in dreams absolutely denies the fact that He is bound by any time-space concept. He can appear as an entity, he can appear as anything He knows would right for you to see Him.
To tell you the Truth this whole world and all the worlds you could experience within the consciousness is Him and only Him without a second.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »
Dear amiatall,

Yes. Seeing Bhagavan in dream, gives happiness in the dream.
This happiness continues even after waking up.  That is the real
purpose and goal.  Whereas nightmares cause tremendous sorrow
and fear even after waking up.

Arunachala Siva.