Author Topic: Proposed changes  (Read 2889 times)

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Proposed changes
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:25:12 AM »
After reading many posts and taking into account the views and concerns expressed by members, I propose to add a new board to this forum.

This board will be dedicated to people who are new to Advaita and will be limited to simple clarification of terminology and concepts.

For instance, Nisargadatta Maharaj's apparent use of Awareness/consciousness and Bhagavan's use of the same terms.

This might well be a product of interpretation or translation and as such can cause confusion.

During my years at the ashram it became quite evident that a standard terminology was applied throughout all publications.

Sat-Chit-Ananda translates to Being-Consciousness-Bliss, not Being-Awareness-Bliss. The reason for this is that Awareness cannot exist without Consciousness ... there has to be a Conscious Entity to be aware.

The standard in the ashram books is:

Awareness and Consciousness (capitalized) refer to the higher state or Self
awareness and consciousness (lower-case) refer to the objective realm - the illusory planes or ego

It would be useful if contributors to this forum adopted uniform terminology so as not to confuse others - and indeed themselves.

Your comments are welcome

Graham

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Proposed changes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
Dear Mr. Graham,

I welcome the introduction of the new board.  If the explanation
can be given, as you have indicated, from the standard Asramam
books, it will be really useful.  For example, Bhagavan Ramana
uses the following words in the Tamil, Nan Yar, Who am I?

1. Mano-nasam.
2. Mana-adakkam.

We are interpreting these two terms in our own way.  Bhagavan
Himself has said that "there is no mind",  "mind is non existent,"
etc.,

I shall be glad to have the views on these.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »

dear Subramaniyan ji,

First I thank Mr.Graham for creating this forum. For people like me surely get benifited. Here I want to know about Mana adakkam.  Mano nasam is superior one which every one needs. Where as mana adakkam again it may spiring up. Is it not. Mana adakkam is like acting as there is no reaction. But when it gets good opportunity it may flare up once again. Is it due to old habits (latent vasanas. can we call mana adakkam is mano laya.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
Mana adakkam is only control of thoughts. Mano nasam is extinction of thoughts.
The book Crumbs From the Table, explain this nicely.

Arunachala Siva.