Author Topic: The essence of practice by Sadhu om  (Read 10629 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The essence of practice by Sadhu om
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
Dear matthias, nonduel,

Nice.  Till one attains Brahmanhood, the Brahman is always outside.
The duality will take a long time, to give room for nonduality,
since there are agelong vasanas and practices.  Kavyakanta
Ganapati Sastri had a vision of Bhagavan as Skanda.  He saw
Him, as Skanda of Swamimalai.  He even wrote in Sri Ramana Gita,
that Bhagavan Ramana is Skanda.  Some other devotee had a vision
of Him as Sri Dakshinamurty.  All are dual.  One can become Ramana and see Him within Heart as nondual entity, as I, I, only on sublimation.  Bhagavan Ramana told Krishna Premi: See Krishna
that you see outside, dancing with you as Krishna within. So also
He told Ramatirtha to see Rama within.  Once Maruice Frydman asked Bhagavan Ramana:  You say I am Brahman. Then what is
the difference between you and me?  Can I sit on your sofa with you?  Bhagavan Ramana then said:  You can, if you so wish and
realize that you and I are one without a second.  Maurice Frydaman thought for a while and then said:  "Bhagavan!  How can I?  These people will lynch me and throw me out of the Asramam!"   Bhagavan Ramana smiled and said:  If that be so, how can I help?  You have to first become Me."

Arunachala Siva.         

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »
dear nondual

I read today in the gospel of ramakrishna and he aswell says that the thought "soham" is not beneficial(even harming) if there is still a notion of "Iam this body" and I was referring to this...like you also referred to this

in fact ramana says in his upedesha saram that thinking "soham" is very cleansing....

My understanding is that if one has transmisison of such a mantra it is ok to use, I used sivoham after studiing ramana maharshi and my first "experiences" I felt it is ok now, and that I have guidence of a guru...

the simply thought "Iam he" without total surrender and stability in contemplation is just a mental projection on what truely is the reality. if you have totally absorbed this little sentence it is all ok :) if doubt remains sadhana is neccessary

but I guess we think the same way

much love
matthias

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
Dear nonduel and matthias,

Soham, I am Siva, is for practice.  But as you say, if it is given
as Mantra, it is powerful and that is where the trasnmission
theory works.  Bhagavan Ramana did not use to give out any
mantra.  Very rarely, He gives out mantra upadesa.  In fact,
I am surprised, that Kavyakanta Ganapati WAS GIVEN A MANTRA,
what it was, no one knows, (this is from Brahmasri Nochur
Venkataraman's discourse.) and Annamalai Swami was asked to
repeat Siva, Siva.  Mantra are mere words, if not transmitted.
I am given "Arunachala Siva", by Bhagavan Ramana. Do not
ask me details.  In fact, I consider this as the most sacred mantra, than even Nama Sivaya.  The power of transmission works wonders.  Not mere repetitions without a Guru, a Brahma Jnani.  Narikutti
Swami says I am Buddho worked for him.

Arunachala Siva.   

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
Dear Subramanian-ji
Dear Mathias,

Soham isn't a "mantra" for me and I do not "use" it thusly. This is why I often use the word conviction. Sri Nisargadatta often mentionned that his Guru told him you are He and that he never doubted. It is an inner conviction. I don't have to use "I am a man" as a mantra.

We do think the same!

I sometime use Arunachal Siva as a prayer. The power of this and the abidence in the self is very potent, believe me!

Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

amiatall

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
I don't remember swamis name, but someday one told: "fake it until you make it".
That's too may be a way. But it can for one be very good practice but for other it can be disaster. Depends on individuality.

But yes, ultimately one should drop all role-playing and remain as self, inquiry is the straightest path and it is what we are.