Author Topic: Long term stay near Arunachala  (Read 5325 times)

rideforever

• View Profile
Long term stay near Arunachala
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:21:03 AM »
Hello, can someone please advise me.

I would like to come to Arunachala to do a retreat for maybe 6 months, but I do not know anything about the accommodation.

It would be good to find something like a homestay or secluded location actually on the hill or at the foot of the hill - i.e. not in a town.   And for food to be provided.  As it is 6 months I would be looking for something basic and cheap where I can be alone to do what I need to do.

It does not need to be anything other than a shed at the foot of the hill and access to food.

Any information please ?

thanks
* Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!  Spears shall be shaken, Shields shall be splintered,
* A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
* Ride now, ride for ruin and the world's ending                                       
* Death !!  Death !!  Death !!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Long term stay near Arunachala
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
Dear rideover,

There is the outer pradakshina route, which is having hutments
and sheds where villagers live.  You have to try one of them.
If you occupy one of these-

1. You have walk atleast 2 to 3 kms to Asramam.
2. You have to protect yourself against mosquitos.
3. No electricity in most of the huts.
4. You may get only some cheap tea shops for your food.

Arunachala Siva. 

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Rideover,

I have heard that there are some ashrams on the hill above skandashramam.  One old mendicant I ment on the pathway to skandashramam told me so and he lives there.  But, you cannot expect restrooms/toilets.  its like living in forest.. and some ashrams do cook little food else, u should walk down to foothills for food.

The weather is too cold now and raining, when I went to skandashramam few days back, it was drizzling continuously.  I was drenched when I reached there.  Otherwise, there are many houses and rooms for rent around ashram area.

you can takeup a rented room or house in some lodge near the foothills area, and then you can take a look around the places I said, then decide...

with love
saras

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »

Dear rideforever and saraskrishna,

I also made some enquiries from the Asramam workers since I wrote
to rideforever last.  There are small houses/apartments available
[say one room and a kitchen, roughly about 2000 sq.ft. for a monthly
rent of Rs 2000 to Rs 3000/-.  There will be an Indian toilet outside.
There may be tapwater available from the Municipality or alternately
there may be some common wells for two or three houses like this.
Water in anyway, is somewhat a problem in Tiruvannamalai.  Of course, this year there were copious rains, I am told.  The advance rent would be of say, 3 to 6 months.  There could be larger houses, if one can pay more.  These will be available anywhere between
1 to 3 kms from the Asramam.  This is what I heard from the Asramam workers.  One has to make more enquiries.

However, as you have said, you have to stay in a hotel for some time and search for the house thoroughly and get a better deal.

Arunachala Siva.