Author Topic: Rama's instruction to Hanuman : Sri Rama Hridhyam  (Read 4405 times)

srkudai

Rama's instruction to Hanuman : Sri Rama Hridhyam
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
In Adhyatma Ramayana there is a simple text called Sri Rama Hridhyam.
Its the teaching of Rama to Hanuman. We can have a glimpse of Sri Rama's Advaita teachings in it...
The teaching goes like this:

Sri Rama speaks to Hanuman who was standing near him as follows:

1. I shall tell you the Truth about Atma, Anatma and Paramatman [self, non-self & supreme Self].
2. The sky is seen as having three divisions: The sky associated with a water body [when we look at the sea, the sky seems to be meeting the water body at one point] , the sky that is reflected in the water body & the universal sky. The first kind of sky cannot at all be said to be different from the universal sky!
[There is just one. That reflected in water body is only a mirage. There is really no association with the water body either. Only universal sky...IS. ]
3. In the same way Consciousness is seen as three: Consciousness associated with Buddhi, Consciousness reflected in the buddhi & Pure Consciousness
[Buddhi is intellect. Its changing, essential product of maya. Consciousness is not the cause for what happens in buddhi. ITs like sunlight ... in the presence of sunlight, Buddhi functions as per its nature! The sunlight is disjoint and unaffected. Both Buddhi and the Consciousness reflected in buddhi are of a different order of reality... they are mithya. While Consciousness is the Self. In other words, Consciousness is like the rope on which buddhi & reflection in buddhi are seen as the snake! ]

4. People who lack understanding superimpose the sense of "doership" of the consciousness reflected in Buddhi on Consciousness.

5. The reflection  [jiva] is a false assumption, so also is Buddhi a product of ignorance.  Consciousness is indivisible & partless. Divisibility is seen in Self due to adjuncts that are unreal.

6. TAT TVAM ASI & other such vakyas assert that The Atman is one with Paramatman -devoid of any associating adjuncts.

7. By hearing & meditating on vedantic statements like TAT TVAM ASI , the sense of unity of the two Atmans is to be recognizes. Then ignorance along with all its offshoots like doership end.

8. This knowledge is developed in my devotees due to my devotion. One who is not a devotee shall not get it even if he seeks it in the scriptures -- he shall not find liberation or Self Knowledge even in a hundred lifespans.

9. Oh This Secret, is My Heart, told to you by ME Myself! This knowledge which is superior to even the attainment of heaven of indra should not be imparted by you to any conceited man who has no devotion to me.

10. Siva Says: Devi, I have communicated to you Sri Rama Hridayam ,which  I once imparted to Hanuman. It is a secret & it purifies one of all sins!

11. He who constantly studies this exposition with devotion will surely attain moksha. Even the affects of heinous sins will all be dissipated by the devout study of this - such is the unequivocal declaration of Rama himself.

12. A Man may be a outcase, a confirmed criminal -- if even such a person meditates on sri rama hridhayam and worships rama ... he shall attain heights to which even yogis find difficulty in reaching!

Love!
Silence

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Rama's instruction to Hanuman : Sri Rama Hridhyam
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:14:47 PM »
Rama is himself God. Still He studied under Vashist Muni and from them we got Yoga vashistam. I think Rama and Krishna showed us that how we should
behave with our teachers. Rama after learning brahma janam from Vashist He told to Hanuman.Long time agao When I read Shiridi baba sat charithram, in one place
baba explained about the brahma  jnanam. There baba asked one devotee to read the portion of Geetha where Krishna tells Arjuna, Go to brahma janani and learnt it. Even thougth Krishna is a para brahman why He has to ask Arjuna to go to other person. Can you explain this.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
In the ancient days, a formal Brahma Jnana Guru was considered
essential.  As srkudai said Rama chose Vasishta to obtain this
Brahma Jnana.  In case of Arjuna, the BG was said primarily to
do away with anatma jnana and to enable him to go all out for
war since all bodies perish one day.  Arjuna himself forgot this
teaching later and one evening, he asks Krishna to tell all that
once again.  Krishna smiled and said, You did not forget it.
It is within your Heart.  And it will come back to your help at the
appropriate time.  Krishna left the world and Arjuna became nervous and helpless.  At that time, he remembered Krishna's words.  In BG, it is said, that one should go to a self realized Jnani to obtain
Brahma Jnana.  I also do not know the exact verse.  I shall post
it soon.  The story of Arjuna asking for Brahma Jnana, years later than war comes in Mukti Skanda the last chapter of Srimad
Bhagavatam.

Arunachala Siva.         

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »
Udai ji

I am very poor in sanskrit. I read Sai sat charita. There it is coming. One devotee thought Sai baba did not know sanskrit so he was telling the sloka
On the other hand Baba knows everything. To wipe out the ego of that devotee he asked him what he was chanting and asked him to tell the meaning.
Devotee could tell half meaning. Baba explained full meaning. The book which I read is a tamil book. I am giving the geetha slokam.

It is IV chapter 34th sloka.

Thadhvithi pranipadhena........
Baba himself asked the devotee why Krishna asks to go to jnanai to learn brahma jnana even though Krishna Himself is a brahma janai.

Can you please explain.....

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
My understanding is when one person becomes brahma jnanai, then there is no difference in between the man or God i.e. Krishna. The jiva consiousness becomes
Krishna consiousness. I am not a janai or read all vedas and spiritual book. So here what I understood  I am writing. I think as this sloka comes before Krishna's viswaroopa darshan. So when Krishna started geetha Arjuna might have got doubt whether this brahma janan was possible. Therefore krishna would have asked arjuna to find out brahma jnanai and get the brahma jnanam. All other jnanam is possible except brahma jnanam.
More over to understand Bhagavat geetha fully is very impossible. Whenever we read or listen the explanation we will know some new dimension of meaning.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
Dear srkudai, Ramanaduli,

There is one book called Uttara Gita.  This is published by
The Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Gol Park,
Kolkata.  The introduction of the book says as follows:

"There are many holy texts other than BG.  Iswara Gita, Rama
Gita, Uddhava Gita, Vyadha Gita, Anu Gita and Uttara Gita are
some of them.  According to Anu Gita, after the War, Arjuna
wanted to refresh his memory of BG.  This provided for the
genesis of Anu Gita.

"However, the text of Uttara Gita does not provide the context
or introduction of any kind, nor does it to end of Arjuna's response
to the teachings of Krishna.  According to the story, while enjoying the wealth and power of his kingdom, Arjuna became attached to the materialistic world.  But later, as he became old, detachment again awakened in him. He then approached Krishna, who was also quite old at that time, to impart the knowledge of Brahman, knowing which he will be released at once from samsara.   The abrupt
beginning and end suggest that it had perhaps been composed as
an auxillary work.  But it is also a class, as an independent text.

"Throughout the entire text of the Uttara Gita, the name Krishna
does not occur at all.  The names of Kesava and Vishnu are used
instead, but these names are invariably identified with the Atman
or Brahman.  The word yoga appears in the text, to mean Jnana.

I shall give a few verses separately, without infringing
the copyrights law.

Arunachala Siva.       

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
Udai ji,

Can you explain more about the adhyatma ramayana. Who wrote it. From this it looks like, self knowledge should not be taught who are not fit for that.
Ram might have felt Hanuman is the only person to learn, because He did not teach to sukgreeva or others. Hanuman listened his master"s words and
establish Ram in his own Hridhyam. Hanuman is an example for Bhakthi.
With the name of Ram, Hanuman crossed the ocean where as Ram had to built the sethu! I think Ram had to take full vanara sena who was not like
Hanuman. They could not cross the sea like Hanuman..

Ramanaduli

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »
Namaste

Ramanaduli Quote:  self knowledge should not be taught who are not fit for that

Could it be.... that being "fit for that" relates to fully accepting without any doubt what the Guru is saying, Tat Svam Asi ? Bhavana ?

Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
Dear srkudai,

I am told by the Administrator that quoting a work, large
portions, verbatim, is infringing the copyrights law.  Quoting
the book name or say about 5% of the text, may not be infringment,
I presume.

Arunachala Siva.