Author Topic: Self Enquiry  (Read 3841 times)

viswanathan

Self Enquiry
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:09:31 AM »

I am a devotee of Bhagavan Ramana and i am practicing self enquiry for many years.In my sadhana,.I had certain doubts and I  referred my doubts to Mr.David Godman  who was kind enough to clarify my doubts..I thought of sharing my experience as under with  the members of this forum.

1.In the  practice self enquiry, whenever self attention  is disrupted by the appearance of a thought , Bhagavan has suggested the devotees to question to whom the thought appears and the answer will be to 'me' or 'I' .Then, he wants us  to watch  who is this 'me' or  'I' or where from the 'I' comes and then the  thought will disappear due to  the mind merging  in its source.After many years of practice  by me as suggested by Bhagavan,  nowadays I find that this process of questioning mentally involves some effort on my part and is straining  me and instead I find it easier to straight away go back to  awareness  of 'I' ,bypassing the method given by Bhagavan. I wanted Mr.David Godman's views on this and his reply is given in italics.

The important thing is to revert to the awareness of 'I'. If you can do this by bypassing the verbalisation process that Bhagavan often recommends, then this is fine. The important thing is holding on to the 'I', not the process by which that self-attention is accomplished.

2.When i turn my attention in wards,some times I have sudden urge to have a deep breath and then I take adeep breath and  continue my sadhna..I wanted Mr.David Godman's views on this and his answer is as follows (given in italics).

I think this is a common phenomenon. It occasionally happens to me, and I know it happens to other people. The mind and the breath are connected, according to  Bhagavan. When the mind is slowed, the breath often becomes shallower  as well. However, while one can exist without few or no thoughts, one cannot exist without breathing, so occasionally one has to take a deep breath to make up the oxygen deficit.

I hope above information will be of use to sadhakas practicing self enquiry.
Best regards
A.Viswanathan

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Self Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Dear viswanathan,

Thanks for sharing these information in the forum. It helps to know many people's views.

With respect to the first point mentioned by you I would also like to add what Bhagavan has said in answer to the very first question on how to do self-enquiry:

Therefore, making the corpse body remain as a corpse, and not even uttering the word "I", one should enquire keenly thus: "Now, what is it that rises as "I"?

So Bhagavan refers to here as: not even uttering the word "I".
Thus verbalization is not required for self-enquiry.
It may be due to some questioner's request to explain the process in more step-by-step manner that verbalization has also been accomodated.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for passing on the expert comments of David Godman.I am also reaching the source without verbalisation.Simultaneously, I also hear the whistle sound-Pranava Oli. In my earlier years of practice, when I felt my body very light , a fear used to grip me, as if I am going to collapse. All that ceased. Now, if I do the self enquiry for half an hour in a day- a happiness in the form of "I don't care a damn " persists and that day passes very pleasantly without stress in office or elsewhere.That much is my progress.I want to see light within-aham sphurana.

In fact I asked Sri Annamalai Swami during his lifetime, when I will be able to perceive Atma in the form of Light. He said that Sun rises when it is not pitch dark like midnight,but in the twilight of morning.Similarly when Papa and Punya balances, one will be ready for the dawn of Self in its radiance. This simple explanation from the Sage,was very convincing.
We have to keep on practising more and more till it becomes natural and 24 hours routine affair.Defenitly, we will derive the benefits. After all it is the Path and Goal

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
Dear viswantahan,

Thanks for the helpful comments/solutions of David Godman for your difficulties in Self enquiry.  The posts of arcsekar and
silentgreen are also quite useful.  In my case, two things were
predominant.  The first is the fear, the fear of losing the ego
or the mind.  The second is the question 'For whom is this thought?'  I decided on my own, to come to one silent chanting
to replace my jungle of thoughts.  Arunachala Siva.  This helped
me quite well.  Bhagavan Ramana has also said that one good
or divine thought would help to ward off other thoughts.  This
happened in my case.  Thank you.

Arunachala Siva.   

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
Dear srkudai,

As desired by you, I write about my meeting with Annamalai Swamigal. I came across the book Living by the words of Bhagavan by David Godman which is a biography on Swamigal.  I was excited to read an interesting incident in that book about consturction of Mathrubutheswar temple in the campus of Sri Ramanashram. Utsava murthy-a bronze idol  of Yogambika was to be made for that temple. Inspite of long hours of heating,the blacksmith could not melt the metal to cast the idol. At last Bhagavan's help was sought.He came and gazed over the crucibles in which the metals was heated. Lo, the metal melted like wax , soon it was cast in the mould and a beautiful idol was formed.

In my meeting with Swamigal , I mentioned about the book and the above incident narrated therein.Swamigal, in his own words, narrated the episode which  I quote herunder.

We used big bellows to blast heat and melt the metal. The radiation was so oppressive. We found it difficult to go near the work spot. Even with so much heat generated, the metal  remained solid and did not melt. Auspicioius time-Muhurtham fixed for making out the idol was running out and Sarvadhikari-Chinnaswami was shouting at us. In such a helpless situation, we requested Bhagavan to intervene. He reluctantly  came with us and cast his powerful glance over it. What we could not succeed with great efforts ,Bhagavan finshed with just a  glance.

I was thrilled to hear the full anectode, straight from the horse's mouth. I touched  the holy feet of Swamigal,overcoming the general restriction/rule ,to which Swamigal did not object. In fact in the book it is mentioned that Swamigal touched the holy feet of Maha Periyaval of Kanchi Mutt,much to the objection of attenders surrounding him. But, Maha Periyaval pacified " Doesn't matter. After all he is a Brahmachari-bachelor". I took a cue from this and picked up courage to indulge in similar gesture.

Later on some other occasion, Swamigal gave me a picture of him. Ilayaraja, the Music Director, printed pictures of Swamigal and that was being distributed to visitors. I was also fortunate to get one which is now adoring my Pooja Shelf.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Dear arcsekar,

Nice anecdote.  Kanchi Sri Chandrasekara Saraswati directed
Annamalai Swami to Bhagavan Ramana.  He has done this in
the case of Paul Brunton also.  Many were devotees of Kanchi
Sri Chandrasekara Saraswati and Bhagavan Ramana, simultaneously.  There were no conflicts. T.R. Kanakammal was
one such person.  While Bhagavan Ramana was the champion
of Jnana, Chandrasekara was the champion of Dharma. (to
quote David Godman).

Arunachala Siva. 

S.Subramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
Thank you viswanathan.  I pursue the enquiry of tracing the origin of thought (Where is the origin of thought?).  When thoughts arise I turn my attention to the source from which they arise.  I also find verbalisation not useful.  After withdrawal of thoughts I feel a slight tension which I relax and remain like thin air.  But this continues only for a few seconds. Vasanas pull me out.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
To overcome the tension, you chant one of the mantras mentioned
by Bhagavan Ramana, Siva, Siva, or Arunachala Siva or Rama,
Rama.  I try this method.

Arunachala Siva.