Author Topic: The Two kinds of Statements in scriptures [Repeated from Ashtavakra Gita 11]  (Read 1760 times)

srkudai

There are two kinds of statements that can be seen in what follows.
1. A statement that is an instruction to follow
2. A statement that is simple knowledge.
We understand this better if we take the example of the Gita.
consider "ayam atma gudakesha...", i am the Self in all. Its not a practice. its a simple statement of fact. one does
not practice it. one IS it.
Similarly, "karmani eva adhikarasthe" ... you have right over work, not the result. A Statement of fact.
but at the same time there are statements like "maam ekam sharanam vraja" ... surrender completely to me alone, leaving
all dharma. That is a practice. how do i live it out!

There are therefore two kinds of statements. In ashtavakra gita, the second verse is an instruction. develop these qualities,
he says. the third verse is a simple statement of knowledge. something to know.that knowledge is then to me lived ... therefore
in the fourth verse, ashtavakra says "withdraw from the mithya jagat" and live Free -- here and now have Bliss! This is a very simple
upasana, meditation method. The whole scripture is full of such meditations.

infact, this is so for all scriptures. when the upanishads says God is One Virat Purusha, with sun and moon as eyes, the air is his breath
etc ... that is upasana mantra ... for meditation on the Fact that Everything is Brahman. When one adopts this attitude, it is liberating!
We shall study this further as we proceed.

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear srkudai,

Incidentally, Bhagavan Ramana was once asked by a devotee
what was His most favourite verse in BG.  Bhagavan Ramana
replied: "That is ayam atma Gudakesa."   He further added:
"If you meditate on this statement of fact, it will become your
state."  I think it all depends how serious one's Upasana is.

Arunachala Siva.

nonduel

• View Profile
Dear Subramanian-ji
Dear Skrudai-ji,

"That is ayam atma Gudakesa."

The Ribhu Gita also points this out very strongly.

"We understand this better if we take the example of the Gita.
consider "ayam atma gudakesha...", i am the Self in all. Its not a practice. its a simple statement of fact. one does
not practice it
. one IS it."

It requires faith for the disciple to fully accept this without any doubt. How? By never letting doubt affect him, never accepting thoughts contrary to this. Thoughts that one needs to do certains practices to attain or to be worthy.

This is then complete surrender, the Bhavana, the conviction in the words of the Guru. The meditation isn't thinking about this, or leaning towards convincing oneself, but more just Being what one IS.

Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.