Author Topic: self-enquiry  (Read 3977 times)

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
self-enquiry
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
Is there any role for mental activity in self-enquiry?
pvssnraju

SANKAR

• View Profile
Re: self-enquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:38:35 AM »
Is there any role for mental activity in self-enquiry?

Dear sir,

yes, it is.
The person who is enquiring is there,  to merge inthe self till he merges

Simply Sankar with love
KANNAN MEERA SANKAR

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
Dear DRPSSVN Raju, mental activity is necessary for the
practioners, the bhaktas who do the self enquiry.  The
mental activity is :  I am Brahman, bhavana or attitude.  Staying
in Brahman is after the self is realized.

Arunachala Siva.

S.Subramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
Turning the mind inwards and keeping the thoughts within are mental activities.

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »
self enquiery starts as a mental activity, and it is the supreme mental activity, superior to all other activities

but a day will dawn when the mental activity is seen as the self, and then the self will relax to the self and the mental activity will be replaced and seen as it really is: a spontanious self repetition (without mental activity ot non activity)---->sahaj samadhi

but till this switch self enquiery is a mental activity and crucial to it

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:33:33 AM »
Dear all,
          In self-enquiry we must continuously be aware of the "I" which assumes that it is responsible for all the activities of the body and mind.

As mattias says in the early stages of practice,attention to the feeling of "I" is a mental activity which takes the form of thought or perception.

As the practice develops "I" thought gives way to a subjectively living experienced feeling of "I" "I".Self-Enquiry shifts our attention from the

perception to the perceiver of it.But in the initial stages mind strays without attending to the feeling of "I".You bring it back-thats all.

Self-Enquiry is not a thought but paying attention to the source of it.Ego is only a thought,an aberration superimposing on the Pure self "I am".

It arises from the self and is never apart from the self but by identifying with the body it is forgetful of it's true nature and believes in the lie of

it's own independent separate existence.When we focus our attention to the source of the ego, that lie becomes slack and as the practice progresses

the power of the self pulls the ego into the heart centre and eventually destroys it so completely that it never rises again.In spiritual jargon

it is called manonasa or destruction of the ego i.e "I" thought.When this happens the concept of individual self is destroyed and only self remains.

During the practice of self-enquiry each time when you observe the "I" thought you break your identification with that because anything which

is observable is not you.As you peel from the ego,you will find yourself spontaneously abiding in a tranquil centre,just abide in it as "I am".

At this point there is no "I" thought,no feeling of an "I" as an object presently sensed.Just be there.After sometime mind will take over again,

that is natural,do not be frustrated.With practice you will find much easier to abide in this state of "I am" and for longer periods.There should be no

effort,no expectation for repetition to be in that tranquil state again,no hurry because all these stimulate mental activity which hinders in the

abidance in the tranquil centre.Self-Enquiry reverses the idenfying tendency of "I" thought by holding on to "I" thought which breaks the connection

between "I" thought and the thoughts and perceptions it identifies with.When the "I" thought is so deprived of it's identities it will start to

subside into the tranquil spiritual heart centre.Having tasted the tranquility of the heart centre it abides there uninterrupted as Atmakara Vritti.

This is the goal of self-enquiry,this is the purpose for which we are born,this is for which creation is created.We must do self-enquiry with such a

passionate longing for Truth with the same intensity as that of a drowning man struggling for air only then you will get the pearl of self within you.

pvssnraju

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
Dear S. Subramanian and Matthias,

Turning the mind inward or turning the thoughts within are no
doubt actitvities.  But this one activity, is better than millions
of actitivies in the outside world.  Bhagavan Ramana says, in
Who am I?:  This single thought will also be burnt as the stick
that stirs the funeral pyre is also burnt at the end, after the
corpse is burnt.