Author Topic: Anna-Marie visiting Maharaj  (Read 1457 times)

amiatall

Anna-Marie visiting Maharaj
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
In case someone didn't read David Godmans interview.

"We all went back to Maharaj's room, curious to find out what Anna-Marie wanted to say to him. This is more or less what she had to say via the translator.

'I was living in Venezuela when I had a dream of a mountain and two men. I found out soon afterwards that one of the two men was Ramakrishna, but for a long time I didn't know who the other man was or what the mountain might be. Then, last year, I saw a photo of Ramana Maharshi and realised that this was the second man in the dream. When I did some research to find out more about him, I soon realised that the mountain in the dream was Arunachala. In the dream Ramana Maharshi looked at me in a very special way and transmitted a knowledge of his teachings to me. He didn't do it verbally. He just looked at me, and as he was looking, I just felt that he was filling me up with an understanding of his teachings, a knowledge that I could articulate quite clearly, even though no words had passed between us. I knew that I had to come to India to find out more about him. I persuaded a friend of mine to bring me here, even though I knew that Ramana Maharshi was no longer alive. I knew I had some business here and something was compelling me to come. While I was in Tiruvannamalai I heard about you, and I knew that I had to come and see you as well. That same compulsion that made me come to India to find out about Ramana Maharshi has made me come here as well. I don't know what it is, but I knew that I had to come.'

Maharaj interceded at this point: 'What were the teachings that were transmitted to you in the dream? What did Ramana Maharshi tell you as he was revealing his teachings in silence?'

Anna-Marie talked in Spanish for about five minutes without any translation being given by the interpreter. At the end of that period the translator begin to explain what she had said. We all sat there, absolutely dumbfounded. She gave a perfect and fluent five-minute summary of Maharaj's teachings. They were quite clearly not Ramana's teachings but Maharaj's, and this woman was giving a wonderful presentation of them. I think it was one of the best five-minute summaries of the teachings I had ever heard. And remember, this was from a woman who was on her first visit, someone who had had very little acquaintance with Maharaj's teachings before coming there that day.

Maharaj seemed to be as impressed as everyone else there. He stood up, took Anna-Marie downstairs and initiated her into the mantra of his lineage by writing it on her tongue with his finger. I mentioned earlier that he would volunteer to give out the mantra if anybody wanted it. If someone asked for it, he would ordinarily whisper it in his or her ear. This is the only case I know in which he gave out the mantra without being first asked, and it is the only instance I know of in which he wrote it with his finger on a devotee's tongue. What does all this mean? I have absolutely no idea. I have long since given up trying to guess or rationalise why Gurus do the things they do."

You can read entire story how Anna-Marie got to Maharaj (which i suggest you do) at http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/david_goodman_interview_about_nisargadatta_5.php

You can read entire inverview (http://davidgodman.org/interviews/nis1.shtml)

Any thoughts why Ramana gave Maharajs teachings? To my mind, what he gave is advaita itself. And it does not matter how that teaching is formed in words.

Chuck Cliff

• View Profile
Re: Anna-Marie visiting Maharaj
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
On the second page of the interview, at the bottom, is an exchange I'd like to mention in the context of "words"
I don't say things simply to convince people that they are true. I am not speaking about these matters so that people can build up a philosophy that can be rationally defended, and which is free of all contradictions. When I speak my words, I am not speaking to your mind at all. I am directing my words directly at consciousness. I am planting my words in your consciousness. If you disturb the planting process by arguing about the meaning of the words, they won't take root there. Once my words have been planted in consciousness, they will sprout, they will grow, and at the appropriate moment they will bear fruit.
The words I put in bold stick out for anybody coming from a Christian background, but more important, give an inkling of what is meant by a "word" in the spiritual sense.  An analogy with music: the music is what is going on between the notes. 

Could it be that all teaching is in silence, that the [spoken] words "only" get/entice us to listen to the silence?

(Here, at bottom, you can see this exchange as David recalled it later http://davidgodman.org/interviews/nis2.shtml )
There's a glory in the morning because the earth turns 'round, and a promise in the evening, when the sun goes down.

amiatall

Re: Anna-Marie visiting Maharaj
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
Absolutely yes - all teachings goes on in silence. If you listen with "empty cup" then those words become like pointers and you look. But when "cup is not empty" words lose all the meaning because mind, by trying arguing, denies all of it in an instant.