Author Topic: Meditation  (Read 1473 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Meditation
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
Meditation is a deliberate attempt to pierce into the higher states of consciousness and finally go beyond it. The art of meditation is the art of shifting the focus of attention to ever subtler levels, without losing one's grip on the levels left behind. The final stage of meditation is reached when the sense of identity goes beyond the "I-am-so-and-so", beyond "so-I-am", beyond "I-am-the-witness-only", beyond "there-is", beyond all ideas into the impersonally personal pure being. But you must be energetic when you take to meditation. It is definitely not a part-time occupation. Limit your interests and activities to what is needed for you and your dependents' barest needs. Save all your energies and time for breaking the wall your mind had built around you. Believe me, you will not regret.

- Nisargadatta Maharaj
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Chuck Cliff

• View Profile
Re: Meditation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
...without losing one's grip on the levels left behind
This would seem like a key element of what Nisargatta is saying here. 

The first thing that occured to me was the idea in Kabbala that the Crown (Keter) is in the Kingdom (Malhut).

The second thing that occured to me was the Biblical injunction that one who seeks JHVH (Lord God) should look "with all your heart and all your soul" (Deut. 4:28:29).  (I was told long ago by the then chief rabbi of Denmark that JHVH looks like a past present and future form of the verb, "to be" --

The third thing that occured to me is that, although I really don't know what I'm talking about, I find Nisargatta's words, what shall I say -- infectious?  That is, they have a way of boring in to you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:13:29 PM by Chuck Cliff »
There's a glory in the morning because the earth turns 'round, and a promise in the evening, when the sun goes down.