Author Topic: Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Bhagavan's other original verses  (Read 2899 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
For people who cannot read and understand Tamil, there are
a number of translations of these works, in English and other
European languages too.  Regarding some of these works, there
are Sanskrit versions.  (Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam - Sanskrit
original is Bhagavan's).  For Upadesa Undiyar, there are again
Sanskrt versions.  Telugu and Malayalam versions done by
Bhagavan Ramana or others too are available. 

In this connection, Smt. T.R. Kanakammal, has brought out
her own commentary in Tamil, of all these works about 3-4
years back.  Kanakammal has learnt these verses with elaborate
meanings directly from Muruganar.  One can understand her
capacity with this.  Now, the above verses have been translated
and commented by Smt. T.R. Kanakammal herself in English
and this is being published by Sri Ramanasramam.  Those
who are interested in direct, simple commentaries in English
may kindly order this book from Sri Ramanasramam.  The
price is Rs 150 plus courier charges.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Bhagavan's other original verses
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

Happy that you started this thread 3 years back .I have recently started my formal study of Bhagwan Ramana's works starting with Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and using Kanakammal's English Translation of the same .I got it during my last visit to Ramana Ashram in Dec 2009 .I also have her Tamil Version of the same and just now Downloaded Michael James free ebook on the same which is a word by word translation in English based on Sadhu Om's Translation in Tamil .
Both these works will be very useful for me as my knowledge of Classical Tamil is not enough to understand the meaning directly from the Original Tamil Works / Translations .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Bhagavan's other original verses
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam is a divine bhakti poetry. This has been composed by a person who had already attained
Self Realization, shows clearly that great Jnanis can also be great bhaktas, and vice versa. Of these the Padigam Verse 1,
Karunaiyal ennai Anda nee enakku....  has got a background story. One day when Sri Bhagavan was strolling on the Hill,
these words, 'O who has taken over me with your grace, if you do not show me your form....' were coming again and again
in Sri Bhagavan's mind. He was wondering: What am I going to do these words? Why these are coming again and again in
my mind?... Thinking so, He came back to the Asramam and started writing the first verse. Then every day, verses started pouring.
Totally eleven verses came in this Padigam. Later Ashtakam, Navamani Malai, Pancharatnam were composed. The Akshara Mana
Maalai was written for the fellow sadhus to use it while going to the streets of Tiruvannamalai for alms-seeking.

I find Kanakammal's commentary is the best.

Arunachala Siva.