Author Topic: Songs of Kathamritha - 1  (Read 7741 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Songs of Kathamritha - 1
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
Q: Sir, how can I keep one hand at the Lord and the other in the world? If the world is transitory, why should I put even one hand in it?

Sri Ramakrishna — If you live in the world after knowing Him, the world is no longer transitory. Listen to this song ­

O my mind, you do not know how to farm.
Such a human field is lying futile (uncultivated). Were you to cultivate it, it would have yielded gold.
O brother, your crop will not suffer if you fence it with the name of Kali.
The fence of the Mother with long flowing hair is very strong.
Not even Yama (god of death) can approach it.
Today or a hundred years later it will certainly be snatched from you.
Now reap your harvest with all your mind.
Sow the seed given to you by Guru and irrigate it with the water of bhakti.
O my mind, if you cannot do so by yourself take Rama Prasad with you.

Sri Ramakrishna — Did you hear the song? ‘O brother, your crop will not suffer if you fence it with the name of Kali.’ Take refuge in the Lord, you will get everything. ‘This fence of the Mother with long flowing hair is very strong. Not even Yama can approach it.’ It is a very strong fence. If one can attain God, the world will not appear to him of no import. He who knows God sees that He Himself has become the world, its creatures and all that. You will feed your boy as if you were feeding Gopal. You will see your father and mother as the Lord and His consort and will serve them. If you live in the family after knowing God, you generally don’t maintain any worldly relationship with your wife. Both of you being devotees will talk only of the Lord, on matters divine. You will serve the devotees. Knowing Him to be present in all existence, both of you will serve God.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Songs of Kathamritha - 1
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna (to Keshab and others) — She is the creator of both bondage and liberation. Due to Her maya (illusion) the worldly man is bound with the chains of ‘woman and gold,’ and then he is liberated by Her mercy and grace. She is the Being who takes humans across the sea of the world removing the fetters.

Saying this, Thakur sings in a voice sweeter than gandharvas a song by Rama Prasad ­

O my Mother Shyama You are flying the paper kite of the human being in the market place of the world.
The kite flies in the wind of hope, and is fastened to the string made of maya.
The wooden framework of the paper kite is the skeleton ­ ribs, veins and the internal organs of the human body.
The kite is made purely of Your own attributes (sattva, rajas, tamas); the rest of the workmanship is merely ornamental.
The string is made sharp with the powdered glass of worldliness.

Out of a hundred-thousand kites, one or two only have their string cut through and they are thus set free; O, then, how You laugh and clap Your hands!

Rama Prasad says, ‘The kite thus set free will be carried rapidly on favourable wind until it drops into the Infinite beyond the sea of the world.’

“The Mother is always in Her sportive mood! This world is Her sport. She has Her own way and She is full of joy. She liberates just one from amongst the millions.”

A Brahmo Bhakta — Sir, She can free all if She so desires. Why then She has bound us in the chains of the world?

Sri Ramakrishna — It is Her pleasure! It is Her desire to sport with all this. If a player touches the Grand-dame (in the game of hide and seek) first, he no longer has to run about. If all the players touch, how will the game continue? If everyone touches the Grand-dame She would by no means be glad. If the game continues, the Grand-dame feels happy. That’s why She (the Mother of the universe) is happy and claps Her hands when She cuts the string of one or two (kites of the human soul) out of a hundred thousand. (All laugh.)

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
Incense has been burnt in Sri Ramakrishna’s room. Thakur is seated on the smaller cot and meditating. Mani is seated on the floor. Rakhal, Latu and Ramlal are also in the room.

Thakur says to Mani, “The main thing is to develop bhakti for God, to love Him.” He asks Ramlal to sing. He sings in a sweet voice. Thakur sings the initial words of every song, letting him sing the rest.

As asked by Thakur, Ramlal sings ‘the sannyasa of Gauranga.’

What an exquisite bright form of Sri Gauranga – his eyes streaming with the tears of love – have I seen in Keshab Bharati’s hut!
Gauranga is dancing mad like an elephant. He sings and then rolls on the dust, tears streaming from his eyes.
He calls on Hari, weeping, piercing the mortal world and heaven with his thundering voice.
Then he repeatedly prays for liberation of the slave, with a straw under his teeth and his two palms joined together.
He wears the robe of a yogi after having his locks of hair shaved.
One cries with one’s heart seeing him so surged with bhakti and prema (ecstatic love).
Having renounced all, he has come to distribute prema, overwhelmed as he is by the sorrows of mankind.
Premdas wishes to wander from door to door like a slave at the feet of Sri Chaitanya.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »
“The avadhoot had another guru, the bee. The bee collects honey labouring hard for days together but this honey does not fall to its share. Some other person comes, breaks the honeycomb and takes away the honey. The avadhoot learnt from the bee that one should not hoard. Sadhus will depend a hundred percent on the Lord. They must not accumulate.

“However, this is not for the householders. The householder must rear his family. Therefore, he has to accumulate. The bird and the sadhu don’t accumulate. The bird, however, accumulates when it has a chick ­ it brings food for its chick in its beak.

“Look here Vijay, if you see some baggage or a bundle (of possessions) tied with fifteen knots with a sadhu, don’t trust him. I saw such sadhus under the banyan tree. Two or three of them were sitting there ­ one was separating good grains of dal from the bad ones, the other was repairing his dhoti (a wearing cloth) and they were talking of the feasts given by rich men. They were saying, ‘I say, that babu has spent hundreds of thousands of rupees. He fed the sadhus so well: Puris, jalebis, peras, barfis, malapuas and what not he prepared.’ ” (All laugh.)

Vijay — Yes, I saw such sadhus in Gaya too. In Gaya sadhus swindle. (All laugh.)

Sri Ramakrishna (to Vijay) — On developing ecstatic love for the Lord karmas (activities) fall off automatically. Let those act whom the Lord makes them to work. Your time has come now. Giving up everything you should say: ‘O my mind, may you behold Her, may I behold Her and none else!’

Saying so, Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna sings in his  exquisitely sweet voice and describes the sweetness of God ­

Preserve revered Shyama Mother with great care in your heart.
O my mind, may you behold Her, may I behold Her and none else.
Tricking desires, anger and such other vices, come, O my mind, let me see Her in solitude.
I shall keep my tongue with me so that it can utter, ‘Mother, Mother.’
(Let it call out, ‘Mother, Mother,’ every now and then.)
O my mind, don’t let perversion and such instigations come near.
Let the eyes of your jnana keep a watch and beware.
(Do be careful.)

(To Vijay) “You have taken refuge in Bhagavan. Now eschew the feeling of shame, fear and so on. Give up the idea that if you dance while singing the name of Hari what will people say about you.” 

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:38:08 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna is sitting on the western circular verandah with Mani. In front of them the Ganges is flowing southward. Close by are flowering oleander, bela, jasmine, rose, and poinciana. It is about ten o’clock.
It is Sunday, 16 December 1883, the second day of the dark fortnight of Agrahayana.

Thakur sings as he gazes at Mani:

O Mother Tara! You will have to take me across for I have taken refuge in You.
I am like a bird in a cage.
I have committed wrongdoings beyond number.
I am bereft of spiritual knowledge, and like a cow that has lost its calf,
I wander to and fro, drowning in maya’s spell.

“But why? Why should I be like a bird in a cage? For shame!”

While talking, Thakur goes into ecstasy, his body and mind still, his eyes shedding tears. After some time, he prays, “Mother! Make me like Sita. Grant that I may absolutely forget everything – body, organ of generation, hands, feet, and breasts – may I not be aware of any of these. My only thought should be: Where is Rama?”

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna (to Mani) — I heard Vedanta from the Naked One (Totapuri): ‘Brahman is the Reality and the world an illusion.’ The magician performs so many magic feats: he produces a mango plant, even bearing mangoes. But all his magic is just sleight of hand. Only the magician is real.

Mani — Our life is like a long sleep. I understand it, but I do not see it correctly. The mind can’t even understand the sky. How can that very mind understand the world rightly just by seeing it?

Sri Ramakrishna — There is another way of looking at it. Not being able to see the sky properly, it looks as though it were touching the earth. How can a man understand rightly when he is delirious with fever?

Sri Ramakrishna sings in a sweet voice about the delirious fever of mankind and Dhanavantri.

O Mother Shankari, O great physician, what delirious fever I suffer, in spite of the grace of Thy feet.
This perishable transitory pride of mine is consuming me in its flames. What depraved attachment I have developed for ‘me and mine’!
How can I sustain my life? My desire for wealth and friends is ceaseless!
O the bestower of all goodness, I continue to indulge in things illusory, wrong doing, sinful acts and so on.
Says Dasharathi: My eyes are full of the deep sleep of maya,
And my stomach filled with the worm of violence. I am going round and round as in a whirlpool of illusory action.
Day and night I am feeling distaste for Your name. Alas! will I be cured of this malady?

Mani — So be it. Even then, aren’t there the eight bonds?

Sri Ramakrishna — Not the eight bonds, but eight fetters. But let them be there! By His grace, these eight fetters fall off all at once. You know what it is like? Just as all darkness is dispelled in a moment when a light is brought into a room that has been dark for a thousand years. The darkness doesn’t go bit by bit. Haven’t you seen the magician performing his feats? Making knots in a cord, he ties one of its ends to something and holds the other end in his hand. Then he shakes the cord once or twice. When he gives a jerk, all the knots in the cord untie. But others can’t untie a single knot, howsoever much they try. All the knots open in a moment by the grace of the Guru.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:58:38 AM »
The narrator says – When Uddhava came to Vrindavan, the cowherd boys and the milkmaids of Braja ran eagerly to meet him. They asked him, “How is Sri Krishna? Has he forgotten us? Does he remember us?” Some of them began to cry, others took him to different parts of Vrindavan, saying, “At this spot Sri Krishna lifted Mount Govardhan on his finger. Here he slayed Dhenukasur. Here he slayed Shaktasur. He grazed his cows in this pasture. He wandered here on the bank of the Jamuna and played here with the cowherd boys. He talked with the gopis in this grove.” Uddhava said, “Why are you so anxious about Sri Krishna? He is omnipresent. He is God Himself. There is nothing besides him.” The gopis said, “All this is beyond our comprehension. We are not educated. We only know our Krishna of Vrindavan who played with us here.”

Uddhava said, “He is the very presence of Bhagavan. If you meditate on him, you do not have to come to this world. Meditation on him liberates the jiva (embodied soul).” The gopis said, “We don’t understand all this talk about liberation and such. We only want to see our Krishna, the beloved of our soul.”

Sri Ramakrishna listens to all the conversation with full attention and goes into bhava. He says, “The gopis are right.” Then he begins to sing in the same sweet voice –

I am not hesitant to grant mukti (liberation). I hesitate to grant pure bhakti.
Who wins pure love surpasses all. He is served by all.
He triumphs over the three worlds.
Listen, O Chandravali, I will tell you of love.
One may gain liberation but rare indeed is bhakti.
Because of bhakti I became King Bali’s doorkeeper in the nether world.
Only in Vrindavan can one find pure love.
But for cowherd boys and milkmaids none knows its secret.
Because of bhakti in Nanda’s house, taking him as my father, I carried his burden on my head.

Sri Ramakrishna (to the narrator) — The bhakti of the gopis is prema bhakti. It is avyabhicharini and single-minded bhakti. Do you know what vyabhicharini bhakti is? It is bhakti mixed with jnana. In it one believes that Krishna has become all – he is the Supreme Brahman, he is Rama, he is Shiva and he is Shakti. But prema bhakti is not mixed with jnana. Hanuman came to Dwaraka and said, ‘I want to see Sita and Rama.’ Bhagavan [Sri Krishna] said to Rukmini, ‘Please assume the form of Sita. Otherwise, there will be no escape from Hanuman.’ When the Pandavas were performing Rajasuya Yajna, many kings were present. They all made Yudhisthira sit on his throne and paid obeisance to him. Bibhishana said, ‘I shall only pay obeisance to Narayana (Vishnu) and to none else.’ Then Sri Krishna himself lay prostrate before Yudhisthira to pay his obeisance. Thereafter, Bibhishana did the same, with his crown on his head.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »
Thakur sings the different tunes emulating the musician. He says to Vaishnavcharan, “Sing this way, like professional musicians.”

Vaishnavcharan sings –

O my tongue, always repeat the name of Sri Durga.
Who else can save you from danger but Sri Durga.
The boat of Durga’s name sails on the lake of faith to take you across the sea of the world.
By practicing the instructions of the compassionate Guru, your boat reaches the bank.
If you were to say that the six enemies in the form of wind will create a storm around your boat,
Rest assured that the boat of Durga’s name will reach the bank even in the storm, since it is piloted by Mrityunjay (Shiva, the immortal one).
O Mother, You are heaven, You are the mortal world, and You are the nether world.
It is from You that Hari, Brahma, the twelve Gopalas, the ten great sciences, and the ten avatars have sprung.
You will have to take me across this time, taking up one form or the other.
You are the moving and the unmoving. You are the gross and the subtle.
You are creation, preservation and dissolution. You are the root of the universe.
You are the Mother of the three worlds and their savior.
You are the Shakti (Power) of all and You are Your own Shakti too.

Thakur and the musician sing again and again the following lines of the song –

You are the moving and the unmoving. You are the gross and the subtle.
You are creation, preservation and dissolution. You are the root of the universe.
You are the Mother of the three worlds and their savior.
You are the Shakti (Power) of all and You are Your own Shakti too.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
Thakur had brought a madhavi creeper from Vrindavan and planted it in the panchavati in 1868. Since then it has grown quite large. Young boys are climbing on it and swinging from it. Thakur looks at them happily and says, “They are like young monkeys. They don’t give up even when they fall.”
Seeing Bhavanath dressed in a shirt, Surendra says, “Tell me, are you going to a foreign land?”
Thakur laughs and says, “Our ‘foreign land’ is God.” He talks to the devotees about various things.

Sri Ramakrishna: “Sometimes I used to throw away my dhoti and roam around naked. One day Sambhu said to me, ‘I see why you go around naked. It’s comfortable. I tried it once myself.’”

Surendra: “When I return from the office and take off my shirt and the long coat I say, ‘Divine Mother, how many bonds you have tied me with!’”

Sri Ramakrishna: “Eight bonds bind man:
shame, hatred, fear, pride of caste, suspicion, and secretiveness are all bonds.

Thakur sings:
This is the grief that weighs on my heart:  though You, my Mother, are here and I am wide awake, thieves of passion rob my house.

Then he sings:
In the world’s bustling marketplace, O Shyama, You fly kites that soar on the wind of hope, held fast by maya’s string.

“‘Maya’s string’ means wife and son. By rubbing the string with the paste of sensuousness, the string has become hard. Sensuousness means ‘lust and greed.’

There follows another song:
One comes to this world to play dice. I came with great hopes.
But hope is in itself only a broken state.
First I got the piece marked five, and age after age the twelve, the eighteen, and the sixteen.
Divine Mother, last of all I got the unripe twelve piece, and I got ensnared by the five and six-mark pieces.
Six and two equal eight, six and four make ten. O Divine Mother, I have no control over these.
I won neither honour nor fame in this game, which I have been playing all through the night until dawn.

“The piece marked ‘five,’ that is the five elements. To get ensnared in the ‘fives’ and ‘sixes’ means to fall under the control of the five elements and the six passions. To play tricks with the six piece means not to fall under the control of the six enemies. To deceive the ‘three’ piece means to be beyond the three gunas.

Sattva, rajas, and tamas, the three qualities of nature, have brought mankind under their control. They are like three brothers: if there is sattva, it can call on rajas; and if there is rajas, it can call on tamas. All three gunas are thieves. Tamas destroys, while rajas binds. Sattva, though it frees from the bonds, cannot take one to God.”

Vijay (smiling): “Sattva is also a thief, isn’t it?”
Sri Ramakrishna: “It can’t take one to God, but it does show the way to Him.”
Bhavanath: “Oh, what wonderful words!”
Sri Ramakrishna: “Yes, it is a very lofty thought.”
The devotees are very happy hearing these words.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
The devotees sing.

What a machine Ma Shyama has built!
(What a machine Ma Kali has made!)
In this machine three and a half cubits high, what pranks She is playing!
Mother, You Yourself are working this machine, holding its cord.
But the machine says: I am working by myself. It does not know who is working it.
Whoever finds the Mother remains a machine no more.
Yet some machines have even bound the Mother Herself with the cord of love.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Dear silentgreen,

If the song is read as -

Mother means =  the Self
Machine means = the mind/body

It will be like Bhagavan Ramana singing that song!

Saint Tirumular, a famous yogi-saint has sung:

The great elephant has hidden the wood
The great elephant is inside the wood
One who knows the elephant, does not see the wood
And One who always sees the wood never realizes the elephant!

The picture is that there is a wooden doll of the elephant.
The rest is understandable.

Arunachala Siva.   

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
The younger Naren: “Sir, do we have free will?”

Sri Ramakrishna: “Just try to find your ‘I.’ When you are searching for ‘I,’ you find Him. ‘I am the instrument, You are the operator.’ You know, a puppet goes into a shop with a letter in its hand. God alone is the doer. Work as though you are a doer, but know that you are not.

“As long as there is any adjunct, or a limiting quality to your identity, you are in ignorance. To think that you are learned, or a jnani, or wealthy, or respectable, or father, or guru – all these come from ignorance. ‘I am the instrument and You are the operator,’ is knowledge. Then all marks of identity are obliterated. When firewood has been fully burnt, it produces no sound. It gives no heat. Then it is all cool. Peace, peace, peace.’

(To Narendra) “Please sing a little.”

Narendra: “I have to go home. I have lot of work to do.”

Sri Ramakrishna: “Yes, child. Why should you listen to us? One listens carefully to those who have gold in their ears. Who listens to one who only has a torn cloth? (All laugh.)

“You can go to the garden house of the Guhas. When I ask where you are, I often hear that you are at the garden house of the Guhas. I wouldn’t have mentioned this, but you forced it out of me.”

Narendra is silent for a few minutes. Then he says, “There are no instruments. Shall I just sing?”

Sri Ramakrishna: “My child, this is the situation here. Sing if you’d like to. This is how Balaram has arranged it.

“Balaram says, ‘Please come in a boat. But if that’s not possible, you may hire a carriage.’ (All laugh.) He has given us a feast, so he will make us dance in the afternoon. (Laughter.) One day he hired a carriage for me for twelve annas. I asked, ‘Will he take me to Dakshineswar for twelve annas?’ He said, ‘That’s enough.’ On the way one side of the carriage fell apart and dropped off. (All laugh.) And the horse would suddenly stop just anywhere and it wasn’t possible to make it move. A number of times the coachman whipped it and it ran a little. (Loud laughter.) So now this evening Ram will play the drum and we will dance. But Ram has no sense of rhythm! (All laugh.) Balaram’s attitude is: sing, dance, and make yourself happy.” (All laugh.)
Now Narendra sings:
When will dawn that day when tears stream from my eyes as I repeat Lord Hari’s name?

He sings again:
In dense darkness, O Mother, Your formless beauty sparkles. And so the yogi meditates in a dark mountain cave.
In the lap of infinite darkness, on the waves of the great silence, eternal peace and joy float without end.
Putting on the form of the Formless One, in darkness draped, O Mother, who are You seated alone in boundless bliss?
At the lotus of Your fear-dispelling feet flashes the lightning of love, while loud and earth-shaking laughter issues from Your dazzling face.

Balaram has arranged for a kirtan by Vaishnav-charan and Banwari. Now Vaishnavcharan sings.
O my tongue, always repeat the name of Durga.
Who else can save you from danger but She?

After listening to the song for some time, Thakur passes into samadhi. He is standing, held by the younger Naren. His face is lit with a smile. Gradually he becomes absolutely still. The roomful of devotees watches him silently, while the women observe him from behind a bamboo screen. It is as if Lord Narayana Himself has come down in human form for the devotees – come down to teach them how to love God.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »
Narendra sings –

O my mind! Rest assured that there is the stainless Primal Purusha.
He is the beginningless Truth and cause of all causes. He pervades the moving and the unmoving world as prana (vital breath).
He is ever living, resplendent, the haven of all. The man of faith alone beholds Him.
He is beyond the senses, the eternal, the essence of consciousness, and dwells in the cave of the hearts of all.
He is adorned by the different qualities of jnana and prema. Man is rid of all grief by meditating on Him.
He has numberless qualities, He is of ever-serene countenance. None can reach His depths.
But He reveals Himself by His grace to those who take shelter at His feet, knowing them to be humble and helpless by His grace.
Ever-forgiving and the source of all good, He is ever the giver of help in the sea of sorrows.
He is ever just and He bestows fruit in accordance with our good and bad deeds.
He is the most loving, the ocean of mercy and the treasure house of grace. By hearing of His glories one’s eyes are filled with tears.
Behold Him and be blessed. He is the haven of all hungry hearts.
Wonderful is His nature, of peerless beauty without stain, which no human speech can describe.
O my brother! Become a beggar at His door and worship Him alone day and night.

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Songs of Kathamritha
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
Thakur asks Mahimacharan to chant some verses from the scriptures.
Mahimacharan takes a book and chants the first verse of the Uttara Gita concerning the Supreme Brahman:

He, Brahman, is one – partless, stainless, and beyond the ether.
Without beginning or end, unknowable by mind or intelligence.

In due course, he chants the seventh verse from the third chapter.
Fire is the deity of brahmins;
the deity of sages is in the heart;
for people of average intelligence, the deity is the image;
and for the great yogi who perceives oneness, the deity is everywhere.

When Mahimacharan chants the phrase "for the great yogi who perceives oneness, the deity is everywhere," Thakur suddenly rises from his seat and goes into samadhi. His arm is still bound with splints and bandages. The devotees are wonder-struck as they watch this great yogi of similar vision.

He stands in this way for quite some time before returning to normal consciousness and resuming his seat.
He asks Mahimacharan to chant the verses about love for God. Mahima chants from the Narada Pancharatra:
If God is worshipped with devotion, what is the need for austerities?
If He is not so worshipped, what again is the use of austerities?
If Hari is both inside and outside, what need is there of austerities?
And if He is not there, what is the use of austerities?
If you worship Hari, what need is there of austerities?
And if you do not, what is the use of austerities?
So, O brahmin, detach yourself, dear boy.
What is the need of austerities?
Go at once to Shankara, the ocean of Knowledge.
Attain the deep devotion for Hari, of which the Vaishnavas speak.
From Him you’ll learn how to love the Lord.
Such love has been spoken of by Vishnu’s worshippers,
A love that never fails, a love that like a sword cuts asunder the fetters of this world.

Sri Ramakrishna: "Ah! Ah!"

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
Dear silentgreen,

Excellent.  All Jnanis have said the same Truth, as if they were
school boys copying from each other's note books!

Whatever you have mentioned about the songs of Uttara Gita,
has also been told by Bhagavan Ramana, in Sad Darsanam, Supplement, Verses 3 to 5.

Verse 3:- When one has learned to love the company of Sages,
wherefore all these rules of discipline?  When a pleasant, cool,
southern breeze is blowing, what need is there for a hand fan?

Verse4:-  Body heat is overcome by the cool light of the moon,
want by the good wish-yielding tree (Karpaga), and sin by the
Holy Ganga.  These three - body/mind heat, want and sin all flee
at the august sight of the peerless Sage.

Verse 5:-  Holy rivers, which are only water, and idols which are
only of stones and clay, are not as mighty as the Sages are.  For
while they make one pure in course of countless days, the Sage's
eyes by a mere glance purify at once.

(Source: Tr. by Prof. K. Swaminathan)

Arunachala Siva.