Author Topic: Dipavali Songa - 2  (Read 1521 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dipavali Songa - 2
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
I checked up Guru Vachaka Kovai, original Tamil of Muruganar
and English translation of David Godman.  The five songs appear
under Investigation of Truth.

Naraka Bhaya Thiran - The Terror of Hell:-

180. Only thosewho do not know the real nature of hell, the
punishment world, will say that they shudder in fear of it.
But those who known the real nature of hell, the evil mistake
(I am the body) will discover the means of to end it and will surely reach the state of Truth.

Naraka Jaya Thiran - The Conquest of Naraka: 

181.  They say that Lord Narayana killed the demon Naraka,
but really Naraka is the ego that parades itself by taking the
hellish body to be the "I".  Hence, those who enquire into the
source of this Naraka, and destroy him are indeed Narayana,
the killer of Naraka.

182. Taken on Naraka Chaturdasi, the auspicious bath that
symbolizes the conquest of Naraka is actually bathing in the
waters of true knowledge after killing Naraka, the ego, by
tracking him down to his place of residence.

BHAGAVAN'S SONG No. 4 (interleaved into GVK):

Naraka is he who rules the world of Hell by taking the
hellish body to be "I".  Hence who slays Naraka with the
discus of Jnana by enquiring "From where does this Naraka
arise?" is Lord Narayana Himself.  That day indeed is the
auspicious Naraka Chaturdasi day.

183. Know clearly that Naraka is the one who is condemned
to ruin through taking as "I" the foul mass of flesh, the hell
that is the body, whilst Dipavali is the eternal radiance
of the Supreme Self, that shines after Naraka, the reflection
has been destroyed following the enquiry into his nature.

Bhagavan's song 5 (interleaved in GVK):

Clearly know that the auspicious day of Dipavali denotes the
shining as the Self by seeking and destroying the great sinner
Naraka, who ruined himself by regarding as "I" the prison of
the body, the source of misery that truly is Hell.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Dipavali Songa - 2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »
More about ramana maharshi's views about Dipavali..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Conquest of Hell (Naraka)

The Puranas say that Lord Narayana has killed the demon [of misery], Naraka Asura. This demon is none other than the one who lives as “I am this body, the source of misery”. One who seeks Naraka Asura’s [i.e., the ego’s] source, and thus annihilates him, is truly Lord Narayana Himself.

The Deepavali-bath, which is taken by all people on the fourteenth moon in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka, signifies the bath of Jnana, which is taken after destroying the ego Naraka Asura, by searching for his source.

Michael James: Deepavali or Naraka Chaturdasi is an annual festival celebrated in India on the fourteenth day of the waning moon in October or November. In this verse Sri Bhagavan explains the significance of the oil bath which is customarily taken by people on the morning of that day in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka-Asura by Lord Narayana [Maha-Vishnu].

The above two verses were summarised in the following verse by Sri Bhagavan:

He who kills Narakasura (the ego) with the Wheel [i.e.weapon] of Jnana, by enquiring, “Where is the source of Narakasura who rules over Narakaloka, this wretched body, as ‘I’?”, is Lord Narayana; and that day [of the ego’s destruction] is the auspicious day of the fourteenth moon.

Deepavali signifies the great Self-Effulgence which shines after destroying the reflected light [i.e. the ego], Narakasura, who was ruling this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.

Michael James: Deepavali means the “Festival of Lights”. The above verse which explains the significance of the “Lights” [i.e. the firecrackers used on that day] was rewritten as follows by Sri Bhagavan with only a slight change in the meaning, but in poetry which was clearer and more beautiful because of the precision of each syllable.

Deepavali signified the shining of Self after the destruction, through enquiry, of the greatest sinner,Naraka [the ego], who took the abode of this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.

He is Narakasura (a demon) who feels attached in the thought that he is the body. That attachment to the body itself is a Naraka (hell). The life of a person who has that attachment, even if he be a Maharajah,is hellish. Destroying the attachment to the body, and the self shining by itself as Self is Dipavali.

He is the king of hell who says that he is the body which is hell itself. He is Narayana who ascertains who Naraka is,and destroys him with His vision of wisdom, Jnana Drishti.

That is the auspicious day of Narakachathurdasi.

The false belief that this hell-like house called body is me,is Naraka himself. To destroy that false belief and let the self shine as Self, is Dipavali.

Source: GURU VACHAKA KOVAI The Light of Supreme Truth or THE COLLECTION OF GURU’S SAYINGS translated from original Tamil By Sadhu Om and Michael James

Guru Vachaka Kovai is the biggest collection of Bhagavan’s spoken teachings that was thoroughly checked and revised by him during his lifetime. As such it has a unique place in the Ramana literature.

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI