Author Topic: What is self-enquiry  (Read 3832 times)

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
What is self-enquiry
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »
At present we are conscious of ourself as a set of adjuncts like body,mind,intellect etc.,with object knowing consciousness,in which our attention seemingly
move away from our self towards the object with apparent separation between the knowing subject and the known which is the object.All objects come into
existence only when our attention is directed towards them.The act of directing our attention towards something which appear than ourself is what we call
thinking.In self-enquiry we withdraw our attention from thoughts and objects,then attention naturally flows towards it's source which is self and rests there
without any oscillation.Positing our attention in the self-conscious being is self-enquiry.When attention does not move anywhere but rests in self-conscious being
"I am" there is self knowledge.So self-enquiry is not a doing but a being.It is an art knowing ourself by being ourself.Once we posit ourself in our conscious
being there is automatic subsidance of mental activity.Just being exclusively self conscious is the art of self enquiry.In other forms of spiritual disciplines we
attend to something other than self conscious being.We should attentively and steadfastly abide in the self.Abiding in the being without attending to the other
is real dispassion.So self-enquiry is the practice of just being attentively and vigilantly self conscious so that there is no room for thought or objective knowledge.
In the initial stages there is constant stuggle between our attempt to posit our attention inwards in the self and diversion of our attention as thinking.
Thinking is an age old habit arising from imaginary power of self called mind.Our aim is to posit in reality so that this imagination is nullified once for all.
Self is the space or base for appearence or disappearence of imaginary mind and the world.Having found self and becoming one with the self conscious being
is the art of self-enquiry.To experince our self is to experience God as he really is.In self-enquiry we experience contentless state of pure consciousness.
The secret of success of self-enquiry lies in tenaciously clinging to self consciousness with uninterrupted awareness.
pvssnraju

SANKAR

• View Profile
Re: What is self-enquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:07:04 AM »
At present we are conscious of ourself as a set of adjuncts like body,mind,intellect etc.,with object knowing consciousness,in which our attention seemingly
move away from our self towards the object with apparent separation between the knowing subject and the known which is the object.All objects come into
existence only when our attention is directed towards them.The act of directing our attention towards something which appear than ourself is what we call
thinking.In self-enquiry we withdraw our attention from thoughts and objects,then attention naturally flows towards it's source which is self and rests there
without any oscillation.Positing our attention in the self-conscious being is self-enquiry.When attention does not move anywhere but rests in self-conscious being
"I am" there is self knowledge.So self-enquiry is not a doing but a being.It is an art knowing ourself by being ourself.Once we posit ourself in our conscious
being there is automatic subsidance of mental activity.Just being exclusively self conscious is the art of self enquiry.In other forms of spiritual disciplines we
attend to something other than self conscious being.We should attentively and steadfastly abide in the self.Abiding in the being without attending to the other
is real dispassion.So self-enquiry is the practice of just being attentively and vigilantly self conscious so that there is no room for thought or objective knowledge.
In the initial stages there is constant stuggle between our attempt to posit our attention inwards in the self and diversion of our attention as thinking.
Thinking is an age old habit arising from imaginary power of self called mind.Our aim is to posit in reality so that this imagination is nullified once for all.
Self is the space or base for appearence or disappearence of imaginary mind and the world.Having found self and becoming one with the self conscious being
is the art of self-enquiry.To experince our self is to experience God as he really is.In self-enquiry we experience contentless state of pure consciousness.
The secret of success of self-enquiry lies in tenaciously clinging to self consciousness with uninterrupted awareness.

DEAR,

NICELY SAID

TRULY IT IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE BEGINNERS.

HOWEVER NO OTHER MEANS AVAILABLE; IT CAN BE DONE IN PROGRESSIVE BASIS.

AS IT A WAR WITHIN OUR SELF.

WE HAVE TO CONQUER OUR MIND AND NULLIFY OUR MIND FROM FLOWING OF THOUGHTS TO STAY IN SELF WITH CONTINUOUS EFFORT.

THE ONE WHO WINS HIS MIND IS THE SELF. NOTHING MORE TO WIN OR ATTAIN.
KANNAN MEERA SANKAR

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »
Dear Sankar,

I understand very well what you said about the difficulties, and at war with our self. Permit me to humbly share my thoughts on this.

I think that these thoughts are the obstacles themselves. And they all sprout from the ego who is using these thoughts to keep us outward, in duality. Self has nothing to do, to acquired or to Realise what he already IS. Sri Ramana gave the example...does a man keep repeating that he is a man to know he is a man?

They are only thoughts! No need to bother oneself with these. Just returning the attention on the Self with the calm conviction that your ARE Brahman, the Self. Abide in the Self.
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »
All thoughts are mental manifestations and are obstacles.
When thoughts are killed as they come out of the fortress,
at the end, there will not be anyone inside the fortress and
it will be ours.

Arunachala Siva.

SANKAR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:01:49 AM »
Dear Sankar,

I understand very well what you said about the difficulties, and at war with our self. Permit me to humbly share my thoughts on this.

I think that these thoughts are the obstacles themselves. And they all sprout from the ego who is using these thoughts to keep us outward, in duality. Self has nothing to do, to acquired or to Realise what he already IS. Sri Ramana gave the example...does a man keep repeating that he is a man to know he is a man?

They are only thoughts! No need to bother oneself with these. Just returning the attention on the Self with the calm conviction that your ARE Brahman, the Self. Abide in the Self.

DEAR

THANKS FOR YOUR KIND GUIDANCE
KANNAN MEERA SANKAR

DRPVSSNRAJU

• View Profile
    • BE AS YOU ARE
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
When there is uninterrupted self-awareness thoughts will not arise.Thought arises only in a stat of self-forgetfulness.
So uninterrupted self-awareness is very important for thought-free state of mind.
pvssnraju