Author Topic: Ashtavakra Gita - 5 [Not Necessary to Fulfill Desires to Be Happy]  (Read 3057 times)

srkudai

Previous Page: http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=3895.0

Sense objects seem to provide a sense of fulfillment and this is mithya, unreal. It appears to be "as if" the sense objects make us fulfilled. So we run after the sense objects but in reality its not so.
The common understanding is that for us to be happy, all our desires have to be fulfilled. So, let us say the disciple starts to list out all things that when obtained, he could be happy. While he is preparing the list, let us say he hears a joke ... and laughs. he experiences happiness, but none of his desires are fulfilled.
its not necessary to fulfill the desires to be happy.

again, in our dream model, if he just dreams that the desires are fulfilled, he feels happy.

This happiness therefore has got nothing to do with the fulfillment of the desires or objects of senses. The Happiness is coming from within and not without [if i may be allowed to use this ]. That is we use the sense objects to take ourselves into a hypnotic state and experience bliss there. And then we say that the sense objects are giving us pleasure.
the sense objects cannot give us pleasure coz they are themselves jada, dead, lifeless entities. They do not have it to give. its as if we are drawing the bliss from within and then saying the objects of senses are giving it to us! that is the funny aspect of it.

having understood this much, when a person is still habitually prone to wrong thinking ... when , even after understanding this, the person is attached to sense objects ... that is when he needs a practice.
and then, Ashtavakra says: Stop using the sense objects. Stop clinging to them.

When a person who is clinging to sense objects for his or her sense of completeness stops using the sense objects, treats them as useless trash, the mind revolts.
When mind revolts ... the person is supposed to watch the thoughts and inquire who feels so.

Certain qualities are required for a person to be successful in this approach and Ashtavakra teaches these next. These qualities constitute mental purification. The second verse of Ashtavakra Gita is preparing the student. it says "Stop dependence on Sense objects" ... neither have attachment [ragam] nor run away from them [dvesham] ... just treat them as useless.

When he says "Treat them as poison", it does not mean run away from it ... when i see poison, i do not run away from it... i just am careful that i do not take it inside. i just need to be careful not to take the poison inside. not get dependent on it...

totally having no contact with sense objects is not suggested. We shall see later that Ashtavakra explains that both clinging to activity and running away from activity are wrong. one just has to stop all dependencies. what ever IS, IS. one neither tries to reject nor accept.

Next Page: http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=3988.0

Love!
Silence
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:36:44 AM by srkudai »

apple

• View Profile
Re: Ashtavakra Gita - 5 [Not Necessary to Fulfill Desires to Be Happy]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:41 PM »
Thankyou . Thats really nice :

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
I like the last point that neither acceptence nor rejection towards objects is neccessary.....

in buddism this is one of the major problems why the mind is not an enlightened mind...because he has either aversion or appreciation for dualistic thoughts....

but in reality when dualistic thinking is present, the best antidote for it is dualistic thinking...

we should just look at the thinker...and relaxe into the presence and open space, after sometime the ego will fall away naturally...when we do it with as much patiance and love we will succeed, I think that "hard-core" sadhana is contraproductive, one should listen to his body and mind...spiritual practice is a loving activity and not a war

beautiful post dear skrudai

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
yes the best means to deal with sadhana and this life is to remind oneself who we are...to enter the presence

and when there is a need for a special topic in the practice such as desire, anger etc....I usually pray to god or the three jewels (buddha,dharma,sangha) that they help me recognize f.e.: my pride, or anger when it arises...and I know that the recognition is the liberation of it...or when the emotion is very strong then at least it is the beginning of hte liberation of it...

so when sense objects confuse me strongly, then I would pray to recognize the arising of this confusion...this works for me very good

but you see this is all part of the relative world....all mind games, but for me this is neccessary, I still have hte wish to clean myself :) but I know that one day the cleaning and the wish for altering myself is totally dead, and I wish this for you and all people in this forum and also for all sentient beeings

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »
yes one million postrations, purification rites and on and on....nothing is as powerfull as simply resting as the self...