Author Topic: Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam - 27 A  (Read 2147 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam - 27 A
« on: September 27, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
I am sorry the post got posted without completion by incorrect
pressing of a button.

1. One who sacrifices himself to the God or Swarupam is a great
devotee.  Without any other thought, excepting the thought
of the Self, and stay as Atma-nishta para, is the true sacrifice
to Iswara.  God carries all the burden.  Since such a Paramesvara
Sakti is carrying all burdens, why not you remain abiding in him,
but constantly think that I shall do this, I shall do that.

2. Guru and God will show the way for liberation, but will not
take to the goal of liberation.  If one listens to Guru and God
and act totally according to his way, coupled with one's own efforts, he shall without fail attain liberation.

Thus Bhagavan Ramana has explained clearly what is meant by
surrender, Sarangati.  With this highest surrender, one is sure
to attain liberation.  Only our ego should not stick its neck out.

He says the same thing in Sri Arunachala Aksharamana Malai.

Verse 48:  To You as my only God I came, Oh Arunachala and me You have totally destroyed.

Bhakti begins as dvaita (dual) with my going to God.  It ends
as advaita (non dual), the ending of the separate ego and survival of the Sole Reality, God.

Thus it may be seen that the total surrender annihilates the ego, as the self enquiry does.

When the surrender is complete, then the person who has surrendered, sees everything in the world, all objects, all persons, as one and the same reality.  There is no you and I.  There is only the Self.  He sees everything as non dual single entity.

Arunachala Siva.         

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam - 27 A
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »
Subramanian Garu,

Ramana Maharshi disciple Sadhu Om garu disagrees that Duality (dvaita) during practice (sadhana) is present.

-------------------------------------------------

Even the argument which says, “Duality (dvaita) during practice (sadhana) – which one undertakes (due to) not knowing (the truth that one is always Brahman) – and nonduality (advaita) after attainment (that is, duality is true during the time of practice and non-duality becomes true only after the attainment of Self-realization)”, is not true. Who else is one except the tenth man, both when one is anxiously searching (for the tenth man) and when one finds oneself (to be the tenth man).

Sri Bhagavan says that even this is not true, because nonduality (advaita) is always the truth and duality (dvaita) is always unreal. That is, the one non-dual Self alone exists and is real even when in the ignorant outlook of the individual it seems to appear as this unreal world of duality and diversity.

In order to emphasis that duality is unreal even during the time of its seeming existence, Sri Bhagavan cites the parable of the ‘lost’ tenth man. Ten foolish men forded a river, and on reaching the other side they wished to make sure that all had crossed safely. So all of them began to count the number of persons on the shore, but since each one forgot to count himself, they all counted only nine. Believing that one of their companions must have drowned, they all began to weep, until a passing wayfarer who understood the situation asked each one to count himself, whereupon they realized that they were always ten men, both during the time of their seeming loss and after their ‘finding’ the missing man. Similarly, when we attain Self-knowledge we will realize that non-duality (advaita) is always the sole truth,both during the time of our seeming ignorance (when nonduality appears to be lost and duality appears to prevail) and after our ‘attaining’ Self, the non-dual reality.

It is to be noted here that, though non-duality is the truth even during the time of seeming ignorance, this does not mean that no spiritual practice (sadhana) is necessary,as some theoreticians/theorists have wrongly concluded.So long as the tenth man appears to be lost, it is necessary for each one of the ten to enquire and find out ‘Who is lost?’ , for then only will the truth be realized that the so called ‘lost’ tenth man is only oneself, who has in fact never been lost. Similarly, so long as the experience of non-duality appears to be lost, it is necessary for us to enquire and find out ‘Who am I, who have lost the experience of non-duality?’, for then only will the truth be realized that the seeming individual ‘I’ who does not experience non-duality is merely an unreal appearance, and that the real ‘I’ has in fact never lost the experience of non-duality.

Source: Sri Ramanopadesa Noonmalai Meaning By Sri Sadhu Om Translation By Michael James

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
Dear I,

Both are true, This is correct, That is correct, everything is absolutely correct! What I feel is that Advaita is true, Dwaita is also true, Visishtadvaita is also true, Sunys is also true. Anything and everything is always pointing only towards the Self alone at all times.

Bhagavans answers were tailor made for each devotees based on their 'pakva'

All this are just a food for the intellect which just seeks more and more food. Really it does not matter whether there is duality during practice or advaita during practice, by analysing thus, we are just deviating from enquiring the I and focusing or defining what state 'I' am in now!

Self Enquiry is beyond Advaita, Dwaita, Visishtadvaita, Sunya, etc... like Bhagavan has said, that Turiya, which is said to be the 4th state is really not a state but is just told to one who enquires, but it is irrelevant.

A true seeker does not really bother about understanding states, but just focus on the 'I' that has sprouted! Everything else is just disturbance and mind - 'Samsara'

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
I feel that the advatic experience, dawns only after the devotion, which
is dual.  This becomes self - surrender or self enquiry, which results in
realization.  Bhagavan Himself even before the death experience, which
was in mid-July 1896, had been visiting Sundareswara in the Temple
in Madurai and was crying before the 63 Saints and requesting Siva
to confer him, such great devotion like these saints.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »
Well said Nagraj And Subramanian garu.