Author Topic: Atma-anubhava - is not exactly experience of Self  (Read 2783 times)

srkudai

Atma-anubhava - is not exactly experience of Self
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Atma-anumbhava is usually translated as experience of Self. This is not a proper translation.

Please see.
1)Atma is not got pratyaksha [Direct Experience- i myself experience so i know] --- coz pratyaksha means there is an object that is seen by some subject. Atman is not got as pratyaksa jnanam.
2) And it is not even paroksha[Indirect. That is someone told so i know]. so that is why its named Aparoksha ... its not paroksha... it cannot be paroksha ... coz i am that; how can i get paroksha jnanam abt myself? and it cannot be pratyaksa ... coz for me to have a pratyaksha jnanam i should be there present as a witness.
3) hence Atmanubhava is actually continuous revelry ... beingness or Consciousness

atma-anubhava , anubhava can also be understood of continuous self revelry. Atman being the Self, cannot be an object of experience.

So, its not an object of experience, means one cannot "Experience" atman ... just as one experiences a mental image or a mental feeling.

One can only "Be" atman. And even here there is no choice. One IS Atman. But for the person who tries to have a specific experience ...
Ramana suggests: Just Be.
or
Inquire who is trying to have the experience.

upon inquiry when one finds there is none who could be liberated; as I am always Free Self --- that is said to be liberation from the relative stand point.
anubhava is not an experience -- it is Beingness; Consciousness here.

Love!
Silence

nonduel

• View Profile
Re: Atma-anubhava - is not exactly experience of Self
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
Dear Srkudai,

Yes absolutely! One cannot experience or become what one IS. One can only BE.

Love
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Dear srkudai, nonduel,

Even though I agree with you, for seekers who are not really ARE, glimpses of
Self are conferred by Jnanis.  I do not know whether to call this glimpses as
experiences or flashes.  Bhagavan Ramana had done this for Annamalai Swami
and Devaraja Mudaliar.  And also to Major Chadwick, Sadhu Arunachala, once
when he was in his room bathing!  These flashes are quite unbearable but
definitely give the foretaste.  Perhaps, it is like the pregnant woman getting
false pains before the actual throttling pain and delivery of the child.

Arunachala Siva

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
allthough this flashes are important and one of my teachers said if this occurs in the sadhana and more important during the day, then you know that your practice slowly bears fruit....

but there is this very nice saying:

"intellectual understanding is like a patch,
it will fall off"

and then

"spiritual experiences are like mist,
they will evaporate"

so if we cling to such openings then we made friendship with a great enemy on the path, and I did so and still do so....if blissfull expereinces or alike arise I always catch myself thinking "Oh thats it"....I have to sustain it, make it permanent etc...

so it takes time, and ts a way of expereince of making misstakes....in my case at least, iam not god-incarnate (even if I thought this about myself also for a time :)  )