Author Topic: Perumal Swami  (Read 3826 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Perumal Swami
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
Perumal Swami was the attendant of Bhagavan Ramana right from
His Skandasramam days.  Over a period, he turned egotistic and
wanted to become the Manager of the Asramam.  It happened.  But
he had to be removed, since he was misusing the money that was
dontated by devotees.  Soon Chinnaswami, Bhagavan Ramana's
brother became the Asramam and set right the administration.
In further time, Perumal Swami became an enemy of Bhagavan.
It is he who dragged Bhagavan into a court case about the ownership
of the Asramam.  Thanks to Grant Duff, an enquiry was done at the
Old Hall and soon the case got nullified.  Perumal Swami's enmity
grew into great proportions.  He scolded Bhagavan and got an
Iyengar drunk with toddy and made him scold Bhagavan.  He even
printed pamphlets denigrating Bhagavan and issued at the Asramam
gates!

Soon his play was over.  He got very sick, almost an invalid.  All his
money was cheated.  During his last days, he stayed on a stone bench in the town asking for a few paise alms from passers-by.  He went
to Bhagavan Ramana and told Him:  I have done innumerable acts
of sin against you. "I am sure to go to the hell.  Please forgive me
but do not forget me."  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and said:  "I have
forgiven you and I cannot forget you at all.  Even if you go to hell,
I shall be present there, do not worry!"

While reading Ramayanam we should read about Ravana too.
Good and evil stand side by side in any happening or life.  Perumal
Swami was the Ravana of Ramanayanam.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Perumal Swami
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
Few Incidents Related To Final Days Of Ramana Maharshi Devotee Perumalswami are as follows

---------------------------------------

The following is a collection of anecdotes about Perumalswami who was one of Sri Bhagavan’s attendants from the Virupaksha days.

In 1916, an attempt was made by some drunken pandarams (sadhus) to take away the Sri Bhagavan from Tiruvannamalai. They came to Virupaksha Cave and solemnly informed the Swami, “We are sadhus from Podigai Hill, the sacred Hill in which the ancient Agastya Rishi is still doing his tapas,as he has done for thousands of years. He has ordered us to take you first to the Siddhas’ conference at Srirangam and thence to Podigai, to give you regular diksha, (initiation) after extracting those salts from your body which prevent the attainment of higher powers.”

The situation was evidently serious. The Swami,with his rule of equanimity maintained silence and awaited developments. Meanwhile, a strong and resourceful disciple of his, Perumalswami, hit upon a remedy. Accosting the newcomers,Perumalswami said, “We have received intimation of your visit and we have been commissioned to place your bodies in crucibles(melting pot) and place the crucibles over the fire. What do you say?” and he also told a fellow disciple Mastan, “Go and dig a deep pit for preparing the fire for those people.” The visitors were dumbfounded and promptly retreated.

On another occasion, again when Pazhaniswami and Perumalswami had gone to town and when Sri Bhagavan was all alone, a few fierce-looking bairagis (wandering sadhus) came to Virupaksha Cave. Seeing Sri Bhagavan seated alone they told him, with vehemence, “We are coming straight from the Vindhya Hills. We had darshan of the great siddha there. He has commanded us to take you there. We are taking you along with us back to Vindhyas, as ordered by the great siddha.”

Bhagavan as usual remained silent and unmoved but the bairagis, as was their wont, made much noise. Some woodcutters who witnessed this drama went down and told Perumalswami about the wild-looking bairagis. Perumalswami came and having assessed the situation he went back to the town, brought a big vessel and tins of oil, put them in front of the ruffians and started gathering fire-wood. The bairagis and Sri Bhagavan were astonished at the strange behaviour of Perumalswami. The former did not know who Perumalswami was. They enquired who he was and what he was up to. Perumalswami put the big vessel on the fire and said: “I belong to the next village. I had a vision last night of the great siddha of the Vindyas. He commanded me ‘Go to Virupaksha Cave. You will find some bairagis there. They are siddhas too, having great powers. Pour boiling oil on them and they will be alive and untouched by the oil.’ To my great surprise when I came to this cave, as told by the siddha, you were all here. What a fool I was to doubt the holy words of the siddha. Immediately, I rushed to town and brought the vessel and the tins of oil. Would I not incur a curse if I disobey the siddha?” When Perumalswami went inside the cave to put his clothes there, the bairagis took to their heels! Bhagavan had a big laugh, and Perumalswami joined him.

Once Sri Bhagavan reminisced, “When I came down the Hill to reside here, Perumalswami used to bring something to eat from the town early in the afternoons. One day, he wrote a verse on a piece of paper and brought it to me. When I asked him if he himself had written it he said, “Yes.” On reading it I found it really good. At that time Muruganar used to look after all the writing work and so I asked him to copy the verse in a note book. Four days later Perumalswami brought another verse. When everyone praised it he was overjoyed and so began bringing one fresh verse every four days. If he ever delayed I used to ask him, “Have you not written again?” He would answer “No”, and then bring another verse after a few days.We received nine such verses. When he brought the tenth verse I felt that I had seen such verses somewhere else and so asked Muruganar to bring a copy of the book Tiruvarut Pa , I opened it and saw the verses in the ‘Rama Pathikam’ except that wherever the word ‘Rama’ occurred, the word ‘Ramana’ was substituted and a few changes were made here and there. I showed the whole thing to Muruganar. He thereupon stopped copying and mentioned it to all the people in the hall who laughed. Poor chap! Perumalswami sat in a corner humiliated. What else could he do? When people come here they feel like writing or singing something. Poets write something of their own;others just copy the writings of someone else and substitute Ramana for Rama. What is wrong in it? The words Rama and Ramana are one and the same.”

The following is an extract from, In the Service of Sri Bhagavan by T.N.Venkataraman:

Perumalswami filed a case in 1936 in the Munsif Court of Tiruvannamalai challenging the Power of Attorney registered in 1933, in the name of Niranjanananda Swamy on behalf of the Maharshi nominating the Swamy as the Sarvadhikari of the Ashram. Perumalswami’s case was that as Ramana Maharshi had renounced everything he had no right to property and hence he had no legal right to transfer such a right to anybody. He also insisted that the Court should ask Ramana Maharshi to be present at the Court and personally depose from the witness box. The Munsif Court agreed.Devotees were all in dismay. By the efforts of Grant Duff, the prominent Britisher, also a devotee of Sri Bhagavan, Lord Erskine, the then Governor of Madras Province ordered that a Commissioner be appointed to visit the Ashram and record the evidence of Ramana Maharshi at the Ashram itself.

Bhagavan was examined at the Ashram by the Commision. When asked to which Ashramam he
belonged Bhagavan answered that He belonged to Atiasramam (beyond the four stages). When asked if an atiasrami can own property, He said that there is no restriction for them. They may or may not own property and convey the same to others. All depended on their prarabdha. Based on the Commission’s report, the Judgement delivered in 1937 went in favour of the Ashram.

Perumalswami who fell seriously ill towards the end of 1945 was evicted from the premises of Durga Temple. Already very ill and now suddenly finding himself roofless, he felt helpless and finally found shelter in a hut within the premises of Sri Seshadri Ashram, adjoining Sri Ramanasramam. I told Bhagavan about his pitiable condition and started supplying food,medicine etc., everyday from the Ashram without the knowledge of the Sarvadhikari.

Perumalswami’s health improved to some extent. During that period of time, one day Bhagavan told me, “Poor Perumalswami! Though he now bothers us by involving us in court cases,we should not forget the good work done by him in the past. Once at Skandashram when I was down with severe dysentery it was he who looked after me with great care.” I was stunned by Bhagavan’s limitless magnanimity. Perumalswami’s health deteriorated and he passed away by the end of April, 1950.

Source: http://sriramanamaharshi.org/pdf/Saranagathi_eNewsletter_August_2009.pdf

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Perumal Swami
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
Perumal Swami had made a beautiful stone image of Bhagavan with some
collections of money from devotees.  During his later years, he became an
antagonistic and he wanted to take this stone image on a procession in
T'malai streets, and ask people to spit over it and also put footwears as
garlands.  No one in the town came forward.  One Mudaliar, to whom he
had given his savings had ditched him and he had no money for food.
He was lying on a stone bench near the Asramam, and was taking alms.
He told Bhagavan:  "I have committed countless sins.  I am sure to go
to hell.  Please forgive me."  Bhagavan Ramana said: "I can forgive you
but I cannot forget you.  Even if you go to hell, I shall be there to support you!"

Arunachala Siva.