Author Topic: Do not put non-duality into action?  (Read 2576 times)

Green

• View Profile
Do not put non-duality into action?
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »
Hello forum.

I am reading "Living By The Words of Bhagavan" and I am confused by a part I am at now (page 99/100).

Ramana had exclaimed:

"Advaita should not be practiced in ordinary activities.  It is sufficient if there is no differentiation in the mind.  If one keeps cart-loads of discriminating thoughts within, one should not pretend that all is one on the ouside."

"Westerners practiced mixed marriages and eat equally with everyone.  What is the use of doing only this?  Only wars and battlefields have resulted.  Out of all these activities, who has obtained any happiness?"

And then Ramana translated (?) this verse:

"O Son, always experience non-duality [advaita] in the Heart, but do not at any time put non-duality into action.  Non-duality is fit [to be expressed] in the three worlds [of Brahma, Vishnu and Siva, but] know that non-duality is not fit to be expressed with the Guru."

I am confused how one would practice non-duality with ordinary activities (what would that look like? wouldn't the true practice of non-duality render one unable to do anything and isn't some degree of duality necessary to perform practical affairs?).  Why the ban on practicing Advaita?  What is the harm -- is it that being simple about your duties is much better than thinking you're doing something spiritual or mystical?  Again with the translation, I don't understand what it would mean to put non-duality into action, nor do I understand why that would be a bad thing? 

Does anyone know of any other comments by Ramana or other individuals on this matter?  I would like to understand more.

Also, is there contention against mixed-marriages? (what even is a mixed marriage?)  Is there contention against eating equally with others? (and again what does that mean?)  Or is it that only doing those things, or only doing other mundane things without doing the things that lead to realizing the Self is a hindrance?

Thank you.

Graham

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Do not put non-duality into action?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
This is quite simply aimed at preventing the false/pretend sadhana that we see so often.

Genuine outer non-duality is impossible without inner advaita.

By perfecting advaita within, you automatically practice it outside, but in s subtle way.

Everything takes place in the mind, therefore this is where the practice should happen.

That is the meaning in a nutshell.

The reference to mixed marriages etc. simply shows that outer practice without inner advaita leads only to conflict.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
Dear Green,

To my understanding Bhagavan Ramana meant the following:

1. Practising Nonduality, treating everyone is equal, no higher
and lower castes, no White and no Afro-American, no man and
no woman, is impossible in this dualistic world.  India govt.
tried to abolish casteism and Brahmin supremacy.  It resulted
in various new classifications only.  There are govt.approved
schemes for scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, other back ward
classes etc.,  Banning one type of classification gave room for
another type of classification.  Still poverty continues in India.
People suffer due to new classifications.  The American govt.
banned segregation between Whites and Blacks, since John
Kennedy's times.  Today, is America without any classifications?
There is a huge gap between rich and poor in U.S.  There are
social security schemes for unemployed Americans.  The super-
rich lobby rules the nation.  Hence duality is bound to be there
in human life.  Practise non duality in Heart.  Treat everyone without
difference.  Love everyone, help everyone.  Feed every poor person
regardless of castes, colour and sex.  This is what Ramana meant
by practising Nonduality in Heart.  Mixed marriages alone would
not solve the problem.  If mixed marriages could help society,
say between a White and Afro-American, then why not a super rich
Hollywood actor marry a slum girl of New York?  It does not happen.
Why not a rich scheduled caste person of India, marry a poor brahmin girl?  It does not happen.  You try to solve the casteism but you
cannot solve the rich-poor divide.

2. With Guru, the disciple can never practise non duality.  During
the search for the Truth, Guru is a different person.  He becomes
One as  you, only when you are realized.  Till such time, He is a
different person, and there is duality, since there is a learner and
a Jnani.  If the learner becomes a Jnani, then all are one.

Bhagavan Ramana has also said this idea in ULLadu Narpadu,
Sad Darsanam, Supplement Verse No. 39.

Arunachala Siva.  

amiatall

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »
In other words, what is the use practicing non-duality on the outside, while at the same time having differentiating thoughts inside?

I am confused how one would practice non-duality with ordinary activities (what would that look like? wouldn't the true practice of non-duality render one unable to do anything and isn't some degree of duality necessary to perform practical affairs?). 

To my understanding what should one practice is what Ramana gave - self-inquiry. This practice does not interfere with one activities at all and no confusion arises as such.