Author Topic: Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals, The Life of Cow Lakshmi.  (Read 4242 times)

paul

• View Profile
Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals, The Life of Cow Lakshmi.
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:36:15 AM »
Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals, The Life of Cow Lakshmi.

This is a very moving story about how the path of Lakshmi the cow and the path of Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi came together. There was an immediate affinity between the two of them which lead to Lakshmi eventually taking residence at the ashram because of her dedication towards Sri Bhagavan. Bhagavan reciprocated that dedication. The story tells of the ups and downs of Lakshmi’s life and her interaction with Bhagavan. Towards the end Lakshmi takes ill.
Bhagavan takes Lakshmi’s head into his lap, holding her and stroking her face and neck. Immediately her breathing becomes steady. Bhagavan embraces her and places his cheek against hers. Then the two pairs of eyes meet and tears begin to flow down their faces. Those witnessing this intimate scene are unable to contain their emotion and begin weeping softly. With his face touching hers , Bhagavan strokes Lakshmi lightly. With his eyes fixed on her, Bhagavan places his left hand on Lakshmi’s head, with his right hand strokes her from the throat down to the heart centre. Time passes as he continues to massage her in this way. Then in a soft voice to her, ‘ What do you say Amma? May I go?........

Bhagavan says to Lakshmi, ‘Wherever I may be, I will never leave you. I will always be with you.

Lakshmi remains calm, looking up at Bhagavan. Her face communicates a self-possession that could only belong to a devotee of stature. She knows the truth of these last words from her master, at this their final earthly meeting.

paul

• View Profile
Re: Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals, The Life of Cow Lakshmi.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »
This story as well as being deeply moving made me look at things differently:
1. Animals can achieve liberation.

2. Even if our efforts don’t appear to be making headway, keep working at it because sometime in the future they will. Even though it may not  necessarily be in this life. This is linked to Nagamma’s words on page 76 of the book. ‘ It’s only because of steadfast longing for divine guidance in the past that we have gained access to Bhagavan now.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals, The Life of Cow Lakshmi.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
Dear paul,

Very true.  Even animals and plants can have liberation.  What is
necessary is only a vasana-free mind.  It is with vasanas that
we get into all problems in life.  There is an interesting anecdote
about Cow Lakshmi's case.  When Bhagavan Ramana was with
Mother Azhagamma, keeping one hand on her chest and another
on her head, and caused subsidence of all vasanas.  He lifed His
hands only after mind and prana merged in Heart.  In Cow Lakshmi's
case, Bhagavan Ramana did not stay with her, till her last breath.
When someone asked why that difference, Bhagavan Ramana replied:  Why should I?  She had no vasanas left, even before her
last breath.  Hence there was no need to stay till end.

There is one story in Arunachala Puranam.  There was one
cactus-bush on the Hill.  It was waiting for deliverence.  When
Uma came to the Hill, for doing penance to get half the form of
Annamalai, she accidentally trampled on the cactus bush.  The
bush caught fire and got destroyed, with one huge flame rising
about in the sky and reaching the Hill, to convey its deliverence
to Uma!

Arunachala Siva.