Author Topic: Kunju Swami's Liberation Day - 7.8.2009  (Read 5378 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Kunju Swami's Liberation Day - 7.8.2009
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
On this day, in the year 1992, Kunju Swami, one of the earliest
devotees of Bhagavan Ramana attained merger at the feet of
Bhagavan Ramana.

Kunju Swami came to Bhagavan Ramana when He was in
Skandasramam,  in the year 1920.  On that Annamalai Swami
one of the other devotees (not Annamalai Swami of Final Talks)
had attained merger.  When Mother Azhagamma was weeping
for the boy, Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Why are you weeping.
Another son has today for you!" 

Kunju Swami's relationship with Bhagavan Ramana lasted for
three decades.  When Mother Azhagamma got deliverence, it
is he, who brought the mortal remains, by a improvised cradle
to the present foothills.  He was there, throughout his life in
Tiruvannamalai, barring a few occasions when Bhagavan Ramana
wanted him to go to Kerala or some Maths nearby. 

Kunju Swami's Samadhi is inside the Asramam, along with those of
Muruganar, Cycle Ramaswami Piliai, Rajeswarananda and Viswanatha
Swami.  Among the five, Kunju Swami was the last one to merge
with Bhagavan Ramana.

Kunju Swami has written his memoirs in a Tamil book titled
Enadu Ninaivugal.  It is translated in English as Living with the
Master.  In fact, it was dictated to Asramam devotees when he
was quite old.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Kunju Swami's Liberation Day - 7.8.2009
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
More About this devotee Kunju Swami.

--------------------------------------------------------------

AFTER SPENDING about twelve years in personal attendance on Bhagavan, I began to feel an urge to devote myself entirely to sadhana, spending my time all alone. However, I could not easily reconcile myself to the idea of giving up my personal service to Bhagavan. I had been debating the matter for some days when the answer came in a strange way. As I entered the hall one day I heard Bhagavan explaining to others who were there that real service to him did not mean attending to his physical needs but following the essence of his teaching: that is concentrating on realizing the Self. Needless to say, that automatically cleared my doubts.

I therefore gave up my Ashram duties, but I then found it hard to decide how in fact I should spend the entire day in search of Realization. I referred the matter to Bhagavan and he advised me to make Self-enquiry my final aim, but to practice Self-enquiry, meditation, japa and recitation of scripture turn by turn, changing over from one to another as and when I found the one I was doing irksome or difficult. In course of time, he said, the sadhana would become stabilised in Self-enquiry or pure Consciousness or Realization.

From my personal experience, as well as from that of others within my knowledge, I can say that before recommending any path to an aspirant Bhagavan would first find out from him what aspect, or form, or path he was naturally drawn to and then recommend him to follow it. He would sometimes endorse the traditional stages of sadhana, advancing from worship (puja) to incantation (japa), then to meditation (dhyana), and finally to Self-enquiry (vichara). However, he also used to say that continuous and rigorous practice of any one of these methods was adequate in itself to lead to Realization.

Thus, for instance, when one adopts the method of worship, say of the Shakti, one should, by constant practice and concentration, be able to see the Shakti everywhere and always and in everything and thus give up identification with the ego. Similarly with japa. By constant and continuous repetition of a mantra one gets merged in it and loses all sense of separate individuality. In dhyana again, in constant meditation, with bhavana or deep feeling, one attains the state of Bhavanatheeta, which is only another name for pure Consciousness. Thus, any method, if taken earnestly and practiced unremittingly, will result in elimination of the "I" and lead to the goal of Realization.

Once some awkward problems concerning Ashram management cropped up. Without being directly concerned, I was worried about them, as I felt that failure to solve them satisfactorily would impair the good name of the Ashram. One day two or three devotees went to Bhagavan and put the problems before him. I happened to enter the hall while they were talking about them, and he immediately turned to me and asked me why I had come in at this time and why I was interesting myself in such matters. I did not grasp the meaning of his question, so Bhagavan explained that a person should occupy himself only with that purpose with which he had originally come to the Ashram and asked me what my original purpose had been. I replied: "To receive Bhagavan's Grace." So he said: "Then occupy yourself with that only."

He further continued by asking me whether I had any interest in matters concerning the Ashram management when I first came here. On my replying that I had not, he added: "Then concentrate on the original purpose of your coming here."

- From the Mountain Path, July 1966

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1998/?pg=may-jun

"In Tiruvannamalai, there was a rich man by name Kandaswamy. His conduct was not particularly good and the local people detested him. He used to come and see Sri Bhagavan occasionally. In his last days, he suffered from poverty. Once he wanted some special gruel and sent word through someone to the ashram. He was staying in a dilapidated temple opposite the ashram. Sri Bhagavan arranged for gruel to be sent to him. This was sent on three successive days. On the fourth day, Kandaswamy passed away. We informed Sri Bhagavan of this. We thought Sri Bhagavan would not have anything good to say about this man.

What a surprise! Sri Bhagavan said, ‘Nobody can keep his body and clothes as clean as Kandaswamy. He was next to Injikollai Dishitar in cleanliness. He used neither oil nor soap. He would come to the tank at eight in the morning and start washing his dhoti and towel. By the time he finished his bath, it would be 12 noon. His hair and beard were spotlessly clean.’ We were really ashamed of ourselves. Sri Bhagavan was unique in seeing only the good in others.""

"Seeing only the good in others," at least in those who are doing good work — what a good way to begin to be Ramana.

Source: Arunachala's Ramana Volume II Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
Kunju Swami once tried to fast by staying in Virupaksha Cave along with
Ramakrishna Swami.  They also decided to keep awake day and night for
about a fortnight. They took only some tea in between.  It went on for a
few days.  After the third day, they could not keep awake though they were
able to fast!  Sleeping is necessary for a person and one cannot be without
sleep for more than a couple of days.  On the fourth morning, Kunju Swami came down to the present Asramam.  There Bhagavan was standing.  He
told Kunju Swami:  Enough.  Enough of your sadhana!   Tiruchuzhi dosais
are ready in the back room kitchen.  Alamelu (Bhagavan's sister) has come.
Go and eat Tiruchuzhi dosais.  Kunju Swami meekly obeyed.

Anything in excess, Bhagavan never approved.  Fasting or eating
more and more food, sleeping more or not sleeping at all -- all these
were not recommended by Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva

soham3

• External world is shadow of what is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
On this day, in the year 1992, Kunju Swami, one of the earliest
devotees of Bhagavan Ramana attained merger at the feet of
Bhagavan Ramana.

Simply because a person dies on some day does not mean that he has attained liberation or merger.

By the way I met one Satyananda from Kerala who had been attendant to Kunju Swami and who ran errands for foreign ladies & men. He had also been with Ramana. He must be dead now but no certainty of merger or liberation.
O Divine, lead me to dizzy heights of sublimity & loftiness

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Who can say whether a man is liberated or not? No one.  When Ramana, a
Jnani who was also Jivan Mukta was there, He used to tell that such and such person could be interred in a Samadhi.  He said it for Mastan Swami, Echammal and Mudaliar Patti. He said about Sivaprakasam Pillai:  He has become Siva prakasam, the Light of Siva.  And that is all. Everyone cannot shoot a meteor over a Arunachala Sky, to indicate his Mahanirvanam.

But persons who live with a enlightened person, believe that he has attained
merger with Pure Space.  This is only a conviction and cannot be ratio-
cinated. 

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
On this day, in the year 1992,

Subramaniam Sir

When was Kunju Swami born ? I guess he lived for more than 100 years ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Kunju Swami was born near Palakkad, Kerala. He lived a ripe age old up to his 90s but not definitely 100 years.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

From the link below it is given that Kunju Swami was born on 1887 and you have mentioned that he passed in 1992 so it means he lived for 105 years .

http://bhagavan-ramana.org/ramanadevotees.html
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

I have not read this link. The Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi published by Ramana Kendramu, Hyderabad, does not give
these details.  He has written a book Sri Ramana NinaivugaL (?). I should check this book.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

I have just posted an email to David Godman to confirm exactly Kunju Swami's DOB . Only yesterday I went through his life as mentioned in Power of Presence but there is no mention of his DOB . Among Bhagwan's  earliest devotees he was one of the longest living one's I suppose .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »
The following is the reply I got from David Godman on Kunju Swami's DOB query

1887 is definitely wrong.
He arrived at Tiruvannamalai in the early 1920s when he himself was in his early 20s. He was probably around 92 when he passed away in Ramanasramam.

Best Wishes      David Godman

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
Dear atrnavichar100,

Did I not tell you that he lived only up to his nineties and merged with Sri Bhagavan? He lived up to 105 years is definitely incorrect.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
Dear atrnavichar100,

Did I not tell you that he lived only up to his nineties and merged with Sri Bhagavan? He lived up to 105 years is definitely incorrect.

Arunachala Siva.

Sure Subramaniam Sir

But as there is no confirmed DOB of Kunju Swami and the only given DOB is  1887 in the link provided .Even now David Godman has not given his exact DOB and only said that 1887 is wrong .
So anyway I had this query after re-reading about Kunju Swami yesterday in the book Power of Presence .

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »
Dear atrnavichar100,

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sir

Do you know where Kunju Swami stayed post nirvana of Maharishee?  Seems for some time he moved away from the ashram and supported himself in Palakothu.

Do you know the details of the same and how he came back to Sri Ramasramam.

Also how he supported himself?

Also in his boyhood Lord Shiva himself gave him some coins through a dream instruction just like it happened in ancient days.  It shows that Kunju Swami was destined to meet Bhagavan by his merits.

But I dont think we can attributed this liberation and construct a samadhi ourself without a jnani acknowledging the soul's nirvana.

Otherwise we will end up in samadhi and lingam over that ,  for normally departed souls also, which is quite not correct.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Kunju Swami lived in Palakothu during Sri Bhagavan's time. During post nirvana years, he was taken care of, by the Asramam itself
(by V. Ganesan) in a room inside the Asramam. He got liberated and merged in Arunachala, in his nineties. In between when
Sri Bhagavan was in mortal coil, he toured North India and got a name some ...ananda, and came back. Sri Bhagavan chided him,
saying, 'what is all this?' You are only Kunju Swami! Whether someone got liberated or not, who can say for sure? A Jnani and his
liberation is known only to another Jnani. However, a samadhi was constructed for him, along with those of Muruganar, Viswanthaswami and others behind the Cow Lakshmi's Samadhi on the higher ground, which one can see if you cross the Cow's samadhi and go across the 'rakshanai' a wall constructed by Annamalai Swami to prevent the rain waters coming into the Asramam.

Every liberated Jnani does not cause a star to move towards the summit of the Hill, as was the case with Sri Bhagavan. We have only
to trust the elders who considered his liberation and constructed a Samadhi for him.  Who are we to question that?
Can we prove otherwise? We cannot because we are all ajnanis.

Arunachala Siva.