Author Topic: question about self-enquiry  (Read 2734 times)

AndyM

• View Profile
question about self-enquiry
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »
Hello all,
I am new here, and I'm thrilled that there is such a forum, wish I'd known about it a year ago, but whatever. I have been "familiar" with Ramana Maharshi's self-enquiry for about a year now and have read quite a lot about and by him and by people like Nisargadatta and Papaji etc.
One aspect of it all confuses me and I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to it. Maybe someone here can help.
On the one hand we are told to be still and quiet, to just be, and on the other hand we are told to look for the seeker or the sense of "I". But this seems like a contradiction to me since if I'm seeking I am not being quiet and still and if I am quiet and still I am not seeking. Is it that we switch between actively looking for the seeker and being quiet or do I have a basic misunderstanding of the whole thing.
Thanks in advance,
Andy

amiatall

Re: question about self-enquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
Hi,

How are you seeking by not being quiet?
Being still and quiet is all you can do, everything else is in Gods hands.

sincerely

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
hello

if you are not seeking then you taste some of the bliss of the true self...this is perfect

and maybe you will feel there is the sense of "iam alive" or "there is a self"... this is not a contradiction. so when you have this non seeking mind and this feeling of presence, then you practice genuine vichara, or genuin zazen or genuin dzogchen...

it is in fact so easy :)

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
Hello all,
I am new here, and I'm thrilled that there is such a forum, wish I'd known about it a year ago, but whatever. I have been "familiar" with Ramana Maharshi's self-enquiry for about a year now and have read quite a lot about and by him and by people like Nisargadatta and Papaji etc.
One aspect of it all confuses me and I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to it. Maybe someone here can help.
On the one hand we are told to be still and quiet, to just be, and on the other hand we are told to look for the seeker or the sense of "I". But this seems like a contradiction to me since if I'm seeking I am not being quiet and still and if I am quiet and still I am not seeking. Is it that we switch between actively looking for the seeker and being quiet or do I have a basic misunderstanding of the whole thing.
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Dear Andy,

Just BE what you ARE. Don't analyse, don't try to understand intellectually, just keep your attention on you. That simple!

The best book to understand Sri Ramana's teaching is, in my opinion, The Path of Ramana (book 1) by Sri Sadhu Om.

Read it slowly and a few times.

Love

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:34:09 PM by nonduel »
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

AndyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful