Author Topic: Adhyatma Ramayana  (Read 4641 times)

Adhyatma Ramayana
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
Adhyatma Ramayana is Ramayana as told by Siva. Its a Philosophic version of Ramayana that appreciates the oneness of Jnana And Bhakti. We shall enjoy this excellent scripture and have a darshan of True Rama through bhakti and Jnana. I shall here explain the story[as told by Siva] in my own words without spending too much time trying to go verse by verse. This way we will be able to proceed faster and spend more time on the essential teachings.
Parvathi goes to Siva and requests him to explain to him the deep meanings of Rama's life. She says "You are the One Self in all Jivas, You help your devotees understand the Truth and I am your devotee: so please tell me the story of Rama in such a way that i may understand it. It is said that by Devotion to Rama one is released from all bondage and one's life is fulfilled thus i request you to help me understand the Truth about Rama".

She further adds "Before that, kindly also clear a very fundamental doubt in my mind. Rama is said to be the Supreme Self unaffected by anything what so ever and beyond all. We, however, see in Ramayana that Rama is worried, he cries and is all sorrow when Sita is abducted by Ravana. If he is the Supreme Self, how can he be steeped in sorrow like an ordinary person? If he did not know that he was the Self, in what way is he different from other Jivas"

This is the question Mother Parvathi puts to Siva.

[Lets just spend some time on this question. There are many misconceptions people have regarding Rama. Many, so called scholars, say that Rama did not know his True nature. If that is so, he should be no different from all of us. Coz he is the Self in all living and non-living creatures. This is a wrong conclusion people come to. If we read Yoga Vasishtam, we shall see that Vasishta had taught Rama the complete essence of Vedanta. That is the philosophy based on which Rama lived a certain way. Its like Rama was wise and he chose that life style. Someone else may chose a different lifestyle after being wise. One cannot say Rama is wise coz of his life style. One may be wise and then one may chose any life style. That is why Krishna did not imitate Rama's life style but both Krishna and Rama knew their True Self. That is what is important.
Janaka, Suka, Rama, Krishna, Vasishta, Hanuman, Narada all have different life styles. When they meet, they may not greet each other the same way. But all those do not really matter ... they were all Wise. That is what is important and the real essence.

Without understanding our True Nature, we cannot have liberation. We might change our life style a million ways and yet there shall be no release. Coz its not a change of life style but an understanding our True Nature that is important.]

[To be continued ...]

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:05:20 PM by srkudai »

• View Profile
Re: Adhyatma Ramayana
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
Dear Udai ji,

Choosing the life style..... It is my understanding that, if you get the sad darshan, you become wise, then the result changes the life style. It may happen itself without any effort. Because before we become wise, we may cling to unnecessary things, but once the understanding is taken place, the unnecessary belongings will fall like a ripen leaf. It happened in Bhagavan's life. When He had sad darshan i.e. who He Is, he reached Thruvannamalai. He tore his doti and He wore lion cloth, shaved His head, took off His upananam thread... His whole previous life style changed.... Anyway, please post the deep meaning in Adyatma Ramayanam.
When two realised soul meets.... I read in some book, many times, Bhagavan and Sheshadri swamigal met but there was no conversation. In the same way, when Kanchi Maha swami crossed Bhagavan's ashram Maha swami just stood for few minutes and continued His pada yatra. What is there to talk when they realised both are one...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana's case was different from all else.  People
read spiritual books, embrace Sannyasa, wear a towel or ochre
robe [in fact Sadasiva Brahmendra was roaming naked] or kaupina.
In Bhagavan's case, He did not read any spiritual books but for
Periya Puranam and a little of Bible and Tayumanavar.  He came
to Tiruvannamalai and in order to complete His non attachment,
He wore a kaupina and threw away the remaining clothes and the money on His hands with the sweet packets given by Muthukrishna
Bhagavatar's sister.  That is all.  He prescribed no rules for the
devotees either.  But He wanted to live by the culture of the days.
Today "Jnanis" have all sorts of things.  Even during His days,
Paramahamsa Yogananda wore long silk gowns and sometimes

Bhagavan Ramana took people as they were.  Once there was a
complaint that Major Chadwick was eating meat in his Asramam
cottage.  For the sake of others, He wanted Annamalai Swami to
cross check.  Annamalai Swami came and reported that there was
nothing of that sort.  He then read out a stanza from Tevaram of
Tiru Navukkarasar.  "Even if one is eater of beef, if he is the bhakta
of Siva, wearing Ganga and having holy ashes all over his body, he
is my God...."

Arunachala Siva. 

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes.  Highest form of Bhakti, Para-bhakti, Saranagati, highest
form of Nishkamya Karma etc., lead oneself to Atma Jnana.

Arunachala Siva.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Excellent.  Why all these fights of Vaishnavas and Saivas
that Vishnu is greater than Siva and vice versa?  Every one
of these Saivas and Vaishnavas [like VeLakudi Kannan Iyengar
in Podigai TV] should make it compulsory to read Adhyatama
Ramayana.  VeLakudi Kannan Iyengar was discoursing on
Srimad Bhagavad Gita.  He once said:  Only Narayana is the
god primordial.  All others are subservient to him.  All that one
makes with turmeric powder and water [ He meant Ganesa] --
are they all gods?

Total Nonsense.  I stopped listening to his BG from that day
of the illustrious VeLakudi Kannan Iyengar in Podigai TV.

One who says that his god is more powerful than other gods,
can never realize God.  And one blind man can never lead another
blind man to safe path.

Arunachala Siva.