Author Topic: Sad Darsanam or ULLadu Narpadu  (Read 3871 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Sad Darsanam or ULLadu Narpadu
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
Nochur Venkataraman said that the first two invocatory songs
in Sad Darsanam, speak about self enquiry and surrender.
The Self Enquiry is explained in the first verse, where there is
no mention about God at all and it is an invocatory verse!  Bhagavan uses the word ULLadu, Existence, and uses it several times repeatedly to mean Existence, Without Thought, Remaining, Experiential etc.,  In the second verse, He speaks about Saranagati to Mahesan, the great God or Siva, to ward off the fear of death. 

Fear is the basic key.  Fear about this world, this life, this body, this mind etc.,  One who is afraid of this birth and life, becomes a Jnani on investigating.  Gautama Buddha, was the king of Sakya dynasty, and he was even called Sakya Simham, the Lion of Sakya clan. But on seeing death and suffering, he became afraid, he feared this life, the suffering, the disease, the decay and the death and so he bacame Bhava Bheeru, the one who is constantly afraid of life and death, birth and decay and annihilation.

We also know Bhagavan's death experience, took Him to investigate the death and the Source beyond death.

Nochur Venkataraman explained how he got this fear of death at the age of 9.  During his 9th year of life, there were three deaths in the family, his father, his elder paternal uncle and his younger
paternal uncle died one after another in a gap of 5 months.  He has seen the cremation, and then later the annual sraddha ceremonies at home.  He started investigating.  He once heard
two elderly ladies talking during the ceremonies.  One was asking the other:  What will happen to us, when we die?"  The
other lady explained:  "We will become no-thing"  These words
rang the bell in young Nochur Venkataraman's life!  He thought 'how could any one become no-thing.  The purohits who were in the ceremony were all telling, that the dead man goes to heaven and he will have some existence, with nice food, clothing, but
these ladies are telling that we would become no-thing.  What is this state of no-thing?  Are we going to become totally non-
existent?'

At that moment of investigation, he had the first glimpse of Self, with a sphurna, 'I-I-I'.  Venkataraman says that even though that glimpse of the Self was not strong or ever-abiding as in
the case of Bhagavan Ramana, it made him to proceed further and find the Truth in due course.  He ofcourse, studied in schools/colleges, got married, got a child and is leading a good family life, but this Sphurna ever remains with him, regardless of any changes in his life-style.  He started visiting Tiruvannamalai and even bought a house there to live for a good many days in a year in Tiruvannamalai.  This constant touch with the great Guru made him ever self-abiding.  He says that Bhagavan Ramana's twin teachings of Self enquiry and Saranagati made him to arrive at the goal.

Arunachala Siva.         

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Sad Darsanam or ULLadu Narpadu
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
All the saints and yogis who got enlighted they were in samadhi. Or they did lots of miracles. After reading these types of books I got the idea that
those who would go into samadhi for many years, that people are only jananis. Is it right?

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »
Dear Ramanaduli,

There are two things.  The first is fear of death, or fear of
futility of life.  That intense fear brings about some glimpse
of the Self in advanced souls, but not for all.  Nochur Venkatraman jocularly says that this is Arunachala Sampradaya.
Eg. Arunagiri Natha wanted to fall from the temple tower and die
[this is fear of life], because of acute diseases and misery.  Skanda showed himself to him.  Bhagavan Ramana had fear of death and found out the source of the ego or I.  The civet cat
which was chased by the Vajrangatha Pandya around the Hill,
went around the Hill [pradakshina] out of fear of death.  It got
mukti!

But the state of Samadhi is different.  Initially, one gets into
a few seconds of Samadhi and realize the Self albeit temporarily.
This is followed by permanent abidance later.  But Samadhi has
got different sub-classes.  Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi, is the
state in which Bhagavan Ramana remained throughout His life
of 54 years.  Here, one can even do worldy work like anybody
else, without staying away from the Self.  Nirvikalpa Samadhi is where one gets into the a state of bliss, totally without any outside worldly activities and leaves the body.  Sage Virupaksha
remained like that and left the body, in Virupaksha Cave.  His enire body became a Sivalinga!    Savikalpa Samadhi is where one goes in and comes out, intermittantly, say two days, three days etc., This has been the experience of many a Jnanis.

Arunachala Siva.  

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »
Thank you very much for this beautiful clarification.  Now I understand where I am standing. As Udai ji says, I belong to the first group. i.e. intiall stage.

Ramanaduli