Author Topic: Self Surrender  (Read 2288 times)

srkudai

Self Surrender
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Disciple: Sir, i want to follow the path of bhakti.
Guru: Sure! that is so nice. Please surrender completely.
D: sir, what does that mean?
G: That means you become will-o-the-wisp ... its like a leaf in the hands of wind. Wherever its blown, there is no suffering.
D: How do i do that?
G: By doing it. Practice doing it.
D: But i thought Bhakti means singing good songs ... i am a good singer !
G: You can do that too.
D: "too" ? means, i need not sing songs of devotion.
G: Yes.
D: I need not do japa also ?
G: Yes.
D: I thought doing japa is required.
G: You may do japa. You may not do it. If you have completely surrendered you need not. But if you have not completely surrendered, japa or prayer may be used as an aid. But above all you need Self Knowledge.
D: Sir I want to pray and do japa.
G: Coz it makes your mind calm?
D: Yes.
G: But as i said true surrender means you do not ask for any mental or physical state.
D: But if i do not get bliss ...
G: You may get, you may not get. Mental Bliss means, it comes and goes. That is its very nature. The True Bliss or Ananda is beyond mental states -- irrespective of all mental states.
D: You mean all mental states are at a lower level?
G: There is no lower or higher ... but Self or God is beyond the states of mind. States of mind are mere mirages ! God alone Is.
D: If God alone IS, who prays whom?
G: Why? its you. "you" pray God.
D: But i am not there! God alone IS.
G: Exactly, if you are not there ... no need to pray. who is there to surrender?
D: You mean, only if i am there i need to pray.
G: Yes... if you are there, you need to surrender.
D: How?
G: Just Be.

paul

• View Profile
Re: Self Surrender
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:24:35 AM »
Dear Srkudai, the one line taken from your post: 'Self-surrender is like a leaf in the hands of wind.’ gave it some real meaning and significance.

I could see the leaf picked up off the floor and blown about by the wind. The leaf is so light it is moved effortlessly round and round in the swirls. It is dropped momentarily and without warning picked up again by the wind. All the time the leaf goes with the wind without resistance.

I can now see that we are the leaf and Self-surrender is allowing life (the wind) to take us in any direction with complete trust on our part.

How can we put it into practise, this is where I am stuck.

Paul.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »
Dear Srkudai, thank-you for the reply.

The way I see it is that the body and the mind is the leaf and our life in general is the wind.

Self surrender is the same as surrendering this mind and body to God, letting the wind (life in general) take the leaf (the mind and body) in whatever direction it is blowing. Rather than struggle and fight it, trust it completely. Again , I'm struggling with trust. Can there be degrees of it.

Paul.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
Dear Srkudai, our conversations prompted me to have a closer look at Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi with reference to self surrender. There were a number that helped to improve my undestanding and and in a way how it should be pracitised .

They are:
M.:...If you surrender yourself to the Higher Power all is well. That Power sees your affairs through. Only so long as you think that you are the worker you are obliged to reap the fruits of your actions. If on the other hand, you surrender yourself and recognize your individual self as only a tool of the Higher Power, that Power will take over your affairs along with the fruits of actions. You are no longer affected by them and the work goes on unhampered. Whether you recognise the Power or not the scheme of things does not alter. Only there is a change of outlook. Why should you bear your load on the head when you are travelling on a train? It carries you and your load whether the load is on your head or on the floor of the train. You are not lessening the burden of the train by keeping it on your head but only straining yourself unnecessarily. Similar is the sense of doership in the world by the individuals.

M.: Your idea of will-power is success insured. Will-power should be understood to be the strength of mind which makes it capable for meeting success or failure with equanimity. It is not synonymous with certain success. Why should one’s attempts be always attended with success? Success develops arrogance and the man’s spiritual progress is thus arrested. Failure on the other hand is beneficial, inasmuch as it opens the eyes of the man to his limitations and prepares him to surrender himself. Self-surrender is synonymous with eternal happiness. Therefore one should try to gain the equipoise of mind under all circumstances. That is will-power. Again, success and failure are the results of prarabdha and not of will-power. A man may be doing only good and noble actions and yet prove a failure. Another may do otherwise and yet be uniformly successful. This does not mean that the will-power is present in the one and not in the other.

D.: By the desire to surrender constantly, increasing Grace is experienced, I hope.

M.: Surrender once for all and be done with the desire. So long as the sense of doership is retained there is the desire; that is also personality. If this goes the Self is found to shine forth pure. The sense of doership is the bondage and not the actions themselves. “Be still and know that I am God.” Here stillness is total surrender without a vestige of individuality. Stillness will prevail and there will be no agitation of mind. Agitation of mind is the cause of desire, the sense of doership and personality. If that is stopped there is quiet. There ‘Knowing’ means ‘Being’. It is not the relative knowledge involving the triads, knowledge, subject and object.

Yours   Sincereley.
Paul.