Author Topic: The Siddhas and treasures inside the Hill  (Read 4486 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The Siddhas and treasures inside the Hill
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
Today, someone wrote about treasures inside the Hill.
Referring to Arunachala Mahatmyam, 3rd verse, somone
asked Bhagavan Ramana: "Whether it is true that there
is a Cave inside the Hill, where Siddhas reside and all treasures
are available there."

Bhagavan replied:  "Yes.  In that verse, it means the Cave
inside the Hill and that there are all enjoyments.  Bhagavan
continued:  "You are to BELIEVE that inside the Hill, there is
a Cave, which is brilliance itself and all enjoyments are to be
found there." 

The questioner further asked:  "There is also a mention in the
Mahatmyam, that Arunachala is a bhoga-ksehtra. What is
meant thereby?"

Bhagavan smiled and replied:  "When this Kshetra could
confer even Mukti for those who live here or think of it,
what wonder if this place can give all other enjoyments that
one desires." 

Bhagavan further added:  "The name is God.  The Bible
says that in the beginning there was a Word and Word
was God.  Nama-sankirtan with conviction takes one to
self enquiry and self realization."

(Source: Day by Day, Devaraja Mudaliar, Entry dated 4th
December 1945.)

Arunachala Siva.       

mmohan

• View Profile
Re: The Siddhas and treasures inside the Hill
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
Sorry, but if everything is GOD and holy, as per Advaita, and there is nothing other than God, then is not every place equal? How can one part of this earth be holier than the others and be special? Again all these Siddhas, how can they exist physically outside when the external itself is only a dream projection of our own minds and the real thing is within beyond the physical? I am getting confused when great sages like Ramana who wants us to ignore the external world and concentrate only on the "I" enquiry also at the same time corroborate such sayings and stories.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Dear mmohan,

All these are dualistic.  But one has to understand that
the vision of great people have to be trusted.  Bhagavan
Ramana has himself said in this context, vide my original
enter the realm of the Self, then all these things disappear.
We are trusting the words of great saints and Gurus.  When
Kavyakanta Ganapati had a vision of six stars touching Bhagavan's head and leaving to merge in Arunachala, He
immediately pronounced Bhagavan Ramana is Skanda avatara.
You cannot ask how? and why?  You have to trust great
personalities.  Take for example, you are born.  You know
your mother by intuition, once you are born.  How do you
know who is your father?  Is there any mechanism to know
your father when you are a child?  Your MOTHER SHOWS YOUR
FATHER AND YOU ARE TO BELEIVE.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »
Dear Mohan,

Yes, faith is the word. Sharaddha. The world functions only on faith alone.

Enquire what is External and Internal. Probably, we may come to understand that what we see is external, but then what is Internal then? If we say internal, then something must be inside something - for us to call it internal, roughly, we can say what is inside us, we could even further simplify as what is inside our body.

Can we say then that you are the median between the External and Internal? In between the External and the Internal who are you?

External
                                                          _______________________________________

Internal

Look at the picture above, You are the line in between the External and Internal. Is the External and Internal separate from the Line? Infact they exist only when you are there, i.e. when we put a line, then we say this is External and this is Internal. Now look at this

External

Internal

Now, here you (Line) are/is not there, can we give any meaning to Internal, External? What is External and Internal now? It makes no sense, now, Nobody is there to say the difference. You are not there, The one that was differentiating between the External and Internal is you, its the ego, which is so subtle.

You are that which is neither Internal, nor External or both Internal and External.

Hope this bit helps..

Nagaraj
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:12:06 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
To get the benefit from the lives of great sages, one should concentrate on the central theme of their life and sayings.
Their life and sayings should be understood holistically and not based on only one or two sayings.

Such persons has to meet hundreds and thousands of people of different backgrounds and inclinations.
Some of the visitors may be more interested in the core concepts while others on slightly different tracks.
So it is important to follow those interactions carefully where core concepts are discussed.

Om Shanti ...
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Dear silentgreen,

You have put it nicely.  Bhagavan Ramana's own philosophy
[which is of course, the only true philosophy of this universe],
is reflected in His own works.  But in His life, He had to meet
several people, with different backgrounds/levels of maturity.
Therefore He had to water down the message depending upon
the devotee.  These replies, should not be taken out of context.
As you correctly said, one cannot pick up one or two replies
and say that this is the final teaching of Bhagavan Ramana.
Take this illustration:-

1. Once Dilip Kumar Roy sang some nice songs and then
asked Bhagavan whether the music alone sung in devotion
to god, would confer him liberation.  Bhagavan Ramana said:
"Why not? Pursue this with conviction."

2. To Devaraja Mudaliar, who got excited by some Tiruppugazh
songs which were sung in the Hall, asked Bhagavan Ramana,
whether singing Tiruppugazh alone could take one to liberation.
Bhagavan Ramana said: "O Mudaliar! Go behind these songs
and see the mounam, Silence which is all pervading." 

Arunachala Siva.

mmohan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
Dear Nagaraj, thanks a lot for correcting my perception of Inside & Outside with a beautiful example. So far I have been thinking what I see with my physical eyes is external and mental images are internal. Now I understand that once we realize our true identity with the supreme consciousness, we find that we are not in the body and mind, but rather the body and mind, in fact all bodies and minds, are in me. I expand my field and become the universal consciousness. Which means there is only Inside, no Outside!! It is like the picture of the creator Brahma residing on a lotus in the navel of Vishnu who rests in infinity. We are all like mini Brahmas having our own created worlds, at the same time always residing as part and parcel of the one and only one. We can either withdraw our world into ourself and merge back into infinity or continue with the creation game for some more time. Am I making sense?

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
dear mmohan you wrote:

We can either withdraw our world into ourself and merge back into infinity or continue with the creation game for some more time. Am I making sense?

we cannot do this, and we cannot choose to do this...

we have not the power to grant ourself selfliberation if it would be like this it would be very easy and samsare would not longer exist :)

so we have to understand that the creation (the potential of our mind) is itself not seperated from infinity...

there is no boundery between the creation (in the sense of the potential of hte mind to create this world and others) and the true nature, the self, or dzogchen (the natural state)...so the creations of mind are not negated at all...because they are not different from truth

you wrote about holy places like arunachala, and that it is a contradiction to say this places are more holy then other places...

infact this is not a contradiction, because our mind has potentiality to create expereinces...and this is what our mind always does...
and there is a whole spectrum of expereinces...one is that arunachala is a holy place that will boost your spiritual maturity, and another is that making sex with a filthy whore will not boost your spiritual maturity....but there is another thing...that is the nature of mind, or the self...and this is indeed not touched by either experiences, but as long as you do not rest in this natural state at all times I would recommend to stay away from whores and to visit arunachala...

but from a point of a jnana there is no difference in this two...but we should not misstake ourselfes with a jnana, this would be a very dangerous thing...but it i permitted to think like a jnana and it is encourages...but running around and telling you are shiva will not be of great value

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
Dear Mohan,

Ramana Maharshi says just be silent. meaning, just accept things as they are, there is no change required, nothing to become.. in this way, its best not to have any sorts of plans as to withdrawing our world into ourself or merging back to infinity or continuing with the creation game... Just be.... As it is...

Ramana has said, the destiny of souls are controlled by the ordainer, what ever is bound to happen will happen do what you may and whatever is bound not to happen will not happen try as you may, the best course is to be silent..

So what can we do? whatever is happening is happening by the order of the ordainer alone. We mistakenly take the Doership Never have any Doership at all. If at all there is Doership then be aware thats its not you, its the Ego, by this we will be able to accept things as they are. Doing anything would mean to go away from the Self for it will be Doership/Ego in play

Just Be...

Nagaraj

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:32:09 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
Dear Nagaraj and others,

For most of us, the tendency is to do this or that.  Mind
always jumps out with the least provocation.  BEING STILL
is the most difficult job for most of us.

Arunachala Siva.

mmohan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
There is this example of the spider weaving a web out of itself and looking as if it is entangled in it's own web. Likewise we feel trapped in our karma created out of seemingly our own thoughts and actions, although the truth is neither the thought nor the action were our's to begin with. The spider can anytime withdraw the web into itself and move to another place just as we can remove our identification with the thoughts and actions and become free.
Also we have this classic example of two birds on a tree, one move from branch to branch and enjoying the various fruits and the other one just watching from above. The fact is the active bird is only a reflection of the silent one and has no real existence and this realisation takes place once we stop identifying with the ego.