Author Topic: Death Of Mind!  (Read 4670 times)

srkudai

Death Of Mind!
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:21:29 AM »
The mind has to die ... death of mind is liberation!
oops! Wait. But is the mind "Alive" ?
Is this body "Alive" ?

This body is mere jada padartha ... dead matter ... it appears alive in the presence of Consciousness.
Similarly mind appears alive in the presence of Consciousness, but is not really alive... its like reflected light of moon ... the sun has light ... moon just reflects it and appears to shine ! in reality moon itself has no light. similarly in reality body-mind are mere jada padartha ... dead entities.

so to kill this mind, what is to be done ? Nothing. Really, Consciousness which is Life itself cannot be killed.
Mind which is ever Dead cannot be made alive.

One need to see how mind has no life at all!  This is liberation.

Swami Suddhananda explains with a beautiful story:

Siva is dancing amongst sevas [dead bodies] ... all of us are the dead bodies ... and Siva is dancing in the cremation ground which is this universe . And as he dances the skeletons raise in air and appear to be dancing too, just by the movement created by siva ... in reality only Siva is Alive... but as the dead skeletons raise in air they appear to be alive .... Thus this universe is a Siva Tandavam ... Siva's Dance !
There is really no individual "I" !!!

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Death Of Mind!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Excellent.  The Self breathes life into the mind temporarily,
to experience prarabdha.  The Self wants the mind to be
killed by You, who is the mind-body complex.  When You
kill your mind then the Consciousness shines.  As the skeletons
dance with Nataraja, the dance of skeleton goes on.  When
Nataraja wants the skeletons to stop moving, it stops.

Arunachala Siva. 

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »
dear Udai

a penpal is someone you write letters....a letter friend :)

and someone on deathrow is someone who is sentenced to death...and waits for that day in prison...(in death row)

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
The posts from magic0promotion are fake, ignore them.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:29:22 AM »
Dear Udai ji

When the body and mind both are jada padartha, they cannot decide or do anything. And the consiousness is also not doing anything because it is the
witness. Then how the body takes birth, grows and decays.
You say siva dances so everything dances. So we have to take it in this way that everything is done by siva. example... the doubt which comes within me
is due to siva's action....i.e. siva only asks the question. And the siva who is in Udai ji gives the answer.
Is it? If we understand, the so called "ego" will not come anywhere. Is it correct

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
I feel, now that we know that we are not the body but the consciousness within, in that case, it does not matter to know about the body and its birth, grows decays...

We are not different from the body. The Brahman pervades everywhere. Don't "See" Body, just be as consciousness. In this case Body is also a thought only, here the Ego is expressing itself as the body, the best course is to abide as Self or consciousness witness.

In Cardiac operations, Doctors stop the heart beats and perform the operation and then they make the heart beat, then what is there in body? why does he not die? He comes back to life again.

Its the tendency of Ego-Mind to move away from Consciousness. It wants change, hence questions keep coming up.

Its like this, imagine, you are sitting as one among 100 odd members in a very boring lecture, and you want so badly to get up leave the hall, but our dignity will not allow to leave the room abruptly. Its like this, the situation of our ego forcing itself to sit as consciousness. But with due diligence and patience, with understanding, when we really pay attention to the Lecture and involve ourselves by listening with real interest, then the Ego is no more active, its lost. The Conscciousness prevails.

Body is only a thought manifestation of our Ego.

Ramana Maharshi has said - "to think is not your real nature" also he has said - "give your body to nature and yourself to me"

Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:04:46 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
Our real nature is to BE and nothing else.

Mind is not a Jada-padartha.  If it is Jada Padartha, why
should Bhagavan Ramana ask us to kill it?  We do kill
a cockroach and not a book or a table.  The mind gets
life, albeit temporarily, through Consciousness.  It is the
work of Sakti, who wants to witness your dance!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
Dear srkudai and Ramanaduli,

The Self breathes life into the mind, temporarily.  The mind
is called Sittruyir, small-self in Saiva Siddhantam.  It is
this mind, which takes away the prana and enters into
another life, to continue its rampage.  Muruganar also
uses the word Sittruyir in Guru Vachaka Kovai. In absolute
sense, yes, the Self is only Live thing.

Arunachala Siva.

mmohan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
Dear Nagaraj, your example of the lecture is wonderful. As long as we resist what is happening around us, we identify with our ego and give it life. Once we sit back and accept everything that comes into our life and start witnessing and enjoying it just for what it is, then we move away from the mind, thus effectively killing it, and merge with the true Self. In fact that is what happens in deep sleep and we have to bring the same state into our waking stage as well.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
During witnessing can we feel happy. We do everything to become happy rather not. Remembering we are actors, if we do all the work,
can we get real involvement in the work>

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Dear Ramanaduli

If you are feeling any emotions like sadness, happiness, then you are not really witnessing because you have become the actor. If you are really witnessing, then all the emotions will not affect you for you will be just aware of them just like watching the emotions in the movie.

If you are consciousness, then, you can only be more sharper as no emotions affect you for you are now aware that they are not yours. So you are effectively able to use your equipment - Body.

There is difference between Happiness and Bliss. only the actor feels happy whereas the consciousness is always in Bliss. Happiness can be perceived as there is perceiver, but there is no one to perceive Bliss because Bliss itself is Consciousness. Please see this difference.

All kinds of emotions - happiness, sadness, anger ... is all only the actors and not yours, if one is feeling these then he is actually not really witnessing as Consciousness.

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »
After reading Bhagavan's books, I came to know that, so far I have been thinking "THE I" is false one. The false one is ego. On the otherhand I am "Consiousness i.e. is the really "I". But I never used to give that much attention to become the witness. With the grace of Bhagavan when
I joined, this forum  it is the only exercise I have been doing always, to catch the really "I". All the members may know all the stupid questions are coming
from me only. I read no. of times the posts and practice.Sometimes it looks so easy and next hour it slips. I read Nisargadatta  book also. These are
helping me definitely to some extent. When I know that I am the really I. ever born and never die. it gives me little thrilling also. Still I feel
the gap.
Here I want to tell you, any spiritual practice I have to tell 10 times before going to sleep to follow the rituals nextday. Then I find it is easy
 I have to talk to my mind, for an example to get up early 4 a.m. So without alarm I can get up. I think in this way I have to watch
myself. Hope my mind will help me and  I think the game will get over ::)

Ramanaduli