Author Topic: Eckhart Tolle  (Read 2787 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Eckhart Tolle
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »
It is coincidental.  Some friends are writing about Eckhart Tolle
in the Forum.  I happened to read a book review in Mountain
Path, on his book "A NEW EARTH" [Penguin India, Rs 300.00).
I have not read any of his books.  I am in two minds, whether
to buy such books.  Anyway the review, as given in MP, further
abridged by me.

The author says that the purpose of his latest book A NEW EARTH, is to 'bring about a shift in consciousness, that is to
say, to awaken.'  And that the mere reading of the book can
awaken those who are ready.  This would place the book in
the category of very rarefied sacred writing, an arguable assertion for sure.  Nevertheless the author's presentation
is most readable, accessible, and practical so would be of
interest to anyone seriously concerned with personal and
global transformation.

His argument starts like this:  All spiritual traditions have two
core insights.  First, the "normal state of mind "of most human
beings contains a strong element of what we might call "dysfunction", -- 'maya' in the Hindu tradition, 'dhukka' in the
Buddhist and then secondly, 'the good news is the possibility
of a radical transformation of human consciousness' variously known as enlightenment, liberation or awakening.

The first half is devoted to describing the ego, the root cause of this dysfunction.  Tolle shows the reader very vividly all the
'normal', everyday strategies that our ego uses to constantly reassure ourselves that we exist and any honest reader will
certainly but uncomfortably recognize all of them in themselves.  But there are some other which are more subtle and subversive... like constant need for more, complaining and resentment.  All these emotions constitute what Tolle calls the 'pain body'.  The author defines it as a 'semi autonomous energy form' that thrives in negative thinking and is addicted to unhappiness.  The 'pain body' is not only individual but also partakes of humanity, which is a history of continuous tribal warfare, enslavement, pillage, rape, torture, and other forms of violence.  This pain lives in the collective psyche of humanity.

The good news, the way out of this dysfunction comprises the second half of the book, which is mostly author's reiteration of his  first book, THE POWER OF NOW.   This is about, primarily dis-identifying with form and discovering one's true identity through being present in the now.  There is hardly any new material in the second book, as Tolle would himself admit.

Tolle says that this recognition of illusion is also its ending.  BUT IF ONLY IT WERE THIS EASY.

Probably due to the phenomenal international success of THE POWER OF NOW, and his own experience as a very popular New
Age Guru, Tolle feels that the humanity is desparately searching
for a new consciousness, and hence this book and his optimistic ending:  The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven, -- the
awakened consciousness.  The earth, -- external reality -- is only its outer reflection. 

Nothing is "going " to make is free, because  only the present moment can make us free.

(Source:  Book Review, Mountain Path, July-Sep 2008)

Arunachala Siva.

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Eckhart Tolle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
Dear Subramanian.R,

I have read the book "A NEW EARTH" several months ago.
It is a good book.

I feel it is always good to know how other people express spiritual feelings...
Everyone has their own unique way; there are variations in experiences, although there is a common underlying theme.

The book is meant to be read slowly with introspection...
it is written in simple style and the ways of the ego are brought out with great details.

Another good reading is from Anadi, formerly Aziz Kristof.
I would recommend interested persons to read this site:
The Teaching of Enlightenment:
http://www.anaditeaching.com/

Om Shanti ...

Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

:)  God's creation is perfect beyond any doubt. There is not a lest bit of imperfection anywhere at all. Including the corrupt, Dirt, sewage, Excreta, Filth, Bad words, insult, and all those things that we Hate & etc... are also one of many aspects of the Great Lord. Since beyond doubt, we know that there is only one energy - Brahman - God, even the so called Satans, Evil Tantriks, Black Magicians also derive their energy from the same Pure single energy of the One Lord. In the same way, all knowledge, opinions and variations in interpretations and books etc... also represent the same glory of the Single Atman - Brahman in its own glorious way. Sri Ramana remained unmoved when miscreants urinated on him!

Truth is the light that cannot be hidden at all. In any place, in all places it shows itself like the High Beam striking at our eyes. when This Light is seen the rest (filth, doubt, controversial subject, etc...) also becomes part of that Light only.

I have come to find that the Truth is the same everywhere, it is the eternal consciousness. The Truth is but only the Truth alone. Call it Vedantic Truth, Bibilic Truth, Islamic Truth, Satanic Truth, the Black Magic Truth. With the consciousness, one is never scared about himself. He never changes. Even when trained by a Satan, Black Magician, Evil Tantriks. Or even when attacked by them. these all will be found to be only illusion!

It was only because of this that I was also able to appreciate U G Krishnamurty, His criticisms of Budha, Jesus & Shankara did not ridicule me. Because I know what a Budha, Shankara, Jesus really is - Consciousness.

Eckhart Tolle is an excellent thinker. His views very much correspond to our own Vedic lore.

Nagaraj

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:06:29 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »
Dear srkudai, Nagaraj,

I have absolutely no quarrel against Tolle.  In fact, Mountain
Path has given a good review of the book.  What they said
particularly was:

1.  The second half of the second book is a repetition of the
first book, which was already a best seller.

2.  Leaving the objective knowledge and remaining within
is not that easy as it is portrayed in the book.  It needs
a lot of practice, chitta suddhi etc.,

When I typed: Why such books?  I meant only that what is
the use of reading books endlessly particularly when every
new book talking about Advaita is only a new packaging of
the old goods.  That is all.  All said and done, I may buy these
two books also.  All these are vasanas.

Arunachala Siva.