Author Topic: The Need for a Guru - 3  (Read 2028 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The Need for a Guru - 3
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
Technically we are speaking of the Vijnanamaya Kosa, which is also
the abode of our intuitional intellect.  The scriptures speak of this
Kosa as being the dwelling place of the Goddess Saraswati, the deity
of our consciousness.  This fact is for us the wonder of wonders and
at once our very dilemma.  For though, the goddess is our our very
own Divine Mother and greatest friend, caring only for her children's
upliftment and highest Realization, we have permitted our greatest
enemy, the ego, to co-exist in her dwelling place --- and these two are not  friends.  Though our divine mother directs us upon a seemingly rugged path of discipline, vigilance and patient endurance, her promised reward is eternal happiness and pure unselfish love.  The ego, on the other hand, impels us towards the instant [though
fleeting and illusory] satisfaction of craving.  The choice between the two is onot upto to fate, but rather ours to decide.

Krishna further declares in the Gita, that the odds of victory for right discernement and effrot by Arjuna [symbolizing each one of us], even with such a one as Krishna himself as mentor and guide, were against Arjuna by a ratio of eleven to seven.  The foot soldiers of the ego
simply outnumber our virtues and tendencies.

As we are against bad odds and are creatures of bad habit, our ego
can impel us even against our own will, to make bad choices.  In all
honesty, such bad choices cause us critical damage, resulting in lives of sorrow and misery.  All our suffering comes from vainly seeking
to appease the ego, an ememy whose appetite is insatiable.

(Source: Swami Sadasivananda's articles in Mountain Path, 2008/09.)

Arunachala Siva.     

matthias

• View Profile
Re: The Need for a Guru - 3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
very important posts dear subramanian...

and again it is funny, the ego is the enemy....maybe this is more easy in eatern cultures to accept, but in the west trust me, I did it, fighting against the ego...total senseless.....I think it is a problem of words and meaning....

the thing is that psychotherapy for example is to make a healthy, strong ego....and then the New Agers come (the ones the artice speaks about) and say NONONO this is not spiritual....ego is the enemy, it is bad and wrong...but who says it? the ego of course....so they negate their own existence and tell us that we are evil if we do not the same.....plainly stupid, I mean?

the thing is, what is ego in terms of western psychology?

the ego is simply the self, the "I", or the gestalt...some  call it the one entity inside that brings structure into the miriads of forms and experiences...the very aim of psychotherapy is to create an watching awereness that just watches this miraids of forms and eyperiences without blocks and barriers in the experience of life...as I said gestlattherapy almost feels tantric for me, meditative......

so we can without a problem say that the "ego" in western psychology is similar or equals jiva..it is the same!

and jiva=brahman...again

jiva=brahman

ego=god

so the aim to create a healthy ego is not anti-spiritual...it is fundamental....and to conciously fight it will cause incredible damage on the path, you can spent years an try to kill it, trancend it etc...it will not happen you know why? because the ego cannot kill itself, not possible, we create a duality within our mind...and then we start to watch a fight between these two egos.....

if we look closely: it is the same like insulting, negating or hurting someone else...there is no difference....so some of the eastern scriptures are badly translated in my eyes.....and of course to insult someone and attack someone in his beeingness creates incredible bad karma...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
Dear matthias,

Even Advaita or any Hindu philosophy says that ego is an enemy.
What is ego, it is contaminated Jiva?  It is always with you, like
I told a few days ago, like a nagging wife.  You cannot divorce
your wife just because she is nagging, because she does many
other useful work for you.  Better to ignore or turn a deaf ear to
her nagging!

Jiva + contamination =  Egoistic Jiva.  (like Ravana in Ramayana)

Jiva - minus contamination =  Pure Jiva = Suddha Tattvam = Brahman.  (like Rama in Ramayana)

Like Marx and Lenin said in post World War:  "Workers of the world,
unite, you shall lose nothing but your chains!"  Brahman says to Jiva:  " Unite with me after losing your chains!"

Arunachala Siva.   

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »
yes you totally underline what I believe is the truth

and it is a false understanding of the meaning as I said....here in the west ego has a different meaning, thats the whole problem

we could say that psychotherapy, meditaiton etc are purifing the ego...this is what I mean when I say strong, or healthy ego

and therefor we role our eyes if we hear we should fight ouselfes...it is ok for us if we should become more wise, loving and compassionat for example...but the eastern KILL THE EGO OR YOU ARE DOOMED will shut our ears to the profund path...and will create new agers that are proud of negating their own truth.....

its a cultural thing....has nothing to do with the spiritual capacity of our culture (I think so at least)

therefor many western teachers are intercorporating psychotherapy or were therapists in the past...they all use the ego instead of triing to kill the "contaminated" parts, instead they are gently brought to light and can be integrated...thats why we have psychotherapy...and it is not a thing that will make one more egoistic...it will make one less egoistic because one knows his faults, his pain etc..and is therefor less attached to them...its a paradox but the truth

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »
Dear matthias,

Very much yes.  Freud and other psychotherapists attempt to
explore only the conscious mind.  Some times, they hypnotize
the patients and try to analyze the conscious mind in an unconscious state.  They do not know anything about Consciousness, or Super
Conscious mind.  There is a story in Freud called The Story of a
psychoanalyst.  Here the psychotherapist himself goes mad, because
he found certain shocking aspects of the conscious mind under
hypnotism. Sankara went beyond Freud.

Arunachala Siva.