Author Topic: Handling of Depression  (Read 9361 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Handling of Depression
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
Depression, the pain of loneliness, helplessness, gloom and despair, is a malady that affects everyone, young and old. However, that depressed state of mind is not your true state. It is your birth right to vibrate with strength and courage, to face life like a Hero.

Certain environments and disappointing conditions promote depression of mind and engender a sense of loneliness. At times, depression develops for no reason. However, the reason lies in the Karmic movement of the past.

Most of us, especially ones who turn into spirituality when life seems futile also face depression. Spirituality should not be an alternative to depression in life. Life itself is Spirituality. Therefore one should keep a check of ones mental state and not ignore this depression hide the realities of life by "turning to spirituality"

Depression has three aspects:

1.  Causal - involved in Karmas, backed up by ignorance of one's spiritual nature
2.  Astral - in the form of psychological imbalance
3.  Physical

When you are depressed, your spirit sinks, and mental weakness restricts the flow of vitality in your body and leads to physical imbalance. If you develop the habit of being depressed again and again for a sustained period of time, various diseases may result.

Depression is a contagious disease with a destructive influence on the people around you. It is said, "Smile and the world smiles with you; weep and the world adds a hundred sighs to your grieving soul."

It can become an addiction. Often, it is cultivated as a habit due to lack of psychological education. There will be many times in your life that you will need to withdraw from other people in order to reflect and understand a situation better. However, falling into a depression is not the correct way of withdrawing.

..... To be continued... (Handling Depression)  (From a popular spiritual magazine)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:56:01 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Handling of Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Depression is a state of mind with no activity.  It is not mano-nasa,
it is mano-sunya.  This results in lethargy and lack of physical
activities.  The way out is to activate the mind, by chanting some
mantras or slokas.  Never keep the mind inactive.  If mind is lost,
due to mano-nasa, then one is the Self.  Bhagavan Ramana said that
the state of Summa Iru is the state at which the mind is bathing in
Atmaswarupa, it is not inactive mind.  (Who am I?)  Many fellows
who retire from office work, becomes neurotic because they do not
know how to occupy the mind, particularly with spiritual activities.
Social activities are one way, but even this becomes a boredom after
some time, unless these are done as a spiritual sadhana.  I am
astonished at the kitchen workers in the Asramam, who, day in and
day out, preprare nice breakfast, lunch and dinner, without break
even on Sundays.  Book shop workers have no holiday even on Sundays.  Unless people do these things with spiritual fervour, they
cannot do them tirelessly.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »
      Dear Subramanian,

Yes its very inspiring to see the kitchen workers and book shop workers in Ramanashram. No holidays even! We should be least bit complaining here in this world :)

Do not expect that you can be free of depression instantly and forever just because you want that to happen. However, you can treat the disease of depression or lessen its occurrence by adopting various methods:

• You can cure many cases of depression by a deeper insight into the problem or misunderstanding that is bothering you. In some cases you may ward off depression by the exercise of your will power alone.

• Practice Hatha Yoga and Praanayama (Breathing) exercises  whenever you feel your spirit is beginning to sink. These Satvic exercises bring harmony and balance to the mind and body. Or swim or jog or go for an invigorating walk in a beautiful natural setting. Just changing the atmosphere often causes your depressed mood to give way to a cheerful one.

• Do not give serious attention to negative thoughts. They are baseless. As you help your mind regain its strength, these thoughts will disappear.

• Look your problems straight in the eye and realise that adversity is a great teacher with a divine purpose. It helps you to overhaul your personality so that things hiding in your consciousness are brought to the surface. When you are strong enough, Nature has mysterious  way o bringing  you the right challenging situations for your evolution. Through each difficult situation, Nature seems to whisper, "Can I tell you a secret? It is going to be a little painful, and perhaps depressing, but there is no choice. You have to know it."

...... To be Continued (Handling Depression Artistically)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:01:20 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Paintbrush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »
Dear Nagaraj and hello to everyone,

I found that depression to be the flip side of grand egotism - rather than feel that you are an amazing, truly wonderous individual ( and all the conceit that comes with that arrogance), a depressed person will say "I am worthless and beneath contempt" - both of these very self-centred perspectives.

I used to experience depression habitually, but good practice has got me out of these bad habits. I met a friend the other day who stated that she "suffers from depression". I found myself ranckle at the term "suffers"- as if it were a disease foisted upon an individual, independently of that person. She receives CBT - cognitive behavioural therapy - and although I may generalise - it's still about feeding the ego with positive thoughts rather than negative thoughts - the ego is still present!

I am so grateful that spiritual practice ultimately provides a way out of this mess....

PB

vinita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:34:59 PM »
i totally agree that depression is an experience of being self centred and is the other side of arrogance.

there is some deep conditioning / force of habit that some of us may possess  which may lead to repetitive behaviour - including feeling of depression.

spiritual practices break past karma / conditioning, perhaps.

i too am struggling with some of this....

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
Repeat the mantra mentioned below for 6 months, 108 times a day.

Vana durga maha mantra
------------------------------
Om Hreem dum uththishta purushi kim svapishi Bhayam may samupasThitham,
yadi sakya masakyam va tanmay bhagavathi samaya swaha.

Paintbrush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:38 AM »
Dear Munagala,

Please translate : Vana durga maha mantra to english for those who do not understand, I am intrigued as to the meaning of this mantra
------------------------------
"Om Hreem dum uththishta purushi kim svapishi Bhayam may samupasThitham,
yadi sakya masakyam va tanmay bhagavathi samaya swaha"

Thankyou,

Paintbrush

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
Dear Paintbrush,

I don't know the meaning of this mantra. I tried searching in google for the meaning but of no use.
I know some of the forum members know sanskrit.

Let us see who gives the meaning.

Regards,
Munagala

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »
Dear Munagala

This roughly translates like this - (Very limited sanskrit knowledge  Excuses Please  ::) )

Om - Pranava Mantra
Hreem / Dum - These are Bija Mantras
uththishta purushi - The Goddess who awakens everyone/ Who rises everyone above who pray to her
kim svapishi Bhayam may samupasThitham - Then how can fear / or dreams come to one who prays to the Uththishta Purushi
yadi sakya masakyam - Suppose possible becomes impossible
tanmay bhagavathi samaya - reach out to Bhagawati

Maybe somebody else will be able to translate it better :) I feel Udai  can do it better!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta