Author Topic: Pilgrimage to the Hill of Fire, April-May 2009 - 5  (Read 1789 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Pilgrimage to the Hill of Fire, April-May 2009 - 5
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:45:04 PM »
On the evening of 1st May, the book reading was resumed and
we heard both Tamil (TiruviLaiyadal Puranam) and English (Arunachala's Ramana, Volume 4) readings.  We also sat for
Tamil Parayana between 6.15 pm and 7.15 pm.  We came back
to the Asramam after dinner.  That  evening I thanked Dr. Srinivasamoorthy, the resident-sannyasi, who gave me guidelines for the bhiksha and other things in the Asramam. 

On 2nd morning, we went for giri-pradakshina, and on the route,
we went into the Gautama Maharshi Asramam, where Uma stayed
for her penance to become  concorporate with Siva.  This is called
Ner-Annamalai, from where there is a direct view of the Hill of Fire.
Here Annamalai appeared before her and gave his right side for Uma and made her concorporate with him.  There is a small temple for Annamalai and Unnamulai here.  We then went to see the new Shirdi Sai Baba Temple on the route next to the road.  This has been built by Malayasia devotees of Shirdi Sai Baba.  This is a new and nice temple, with a tower, all in marble.  The devotees are Malaysia Tamils who
have already built one such temple in Singapore at 555 Serangan Road, Singapore.

We finished circumambulation and returned to the Asramam by 10.30 am.  We also went inside the Isanya Math and got the books for Mr. J. Jauaraman and also Sri Dakshinamoorthy Temple, where Muruganar was offered a cup of aviyal, when he was proceeding for bhiksha to the town.  This is a nice small temple, which is renovated recently.  The temple is said to be 500 years old and is the land mark as an outer limit for erstwhile Tiruvannamalai town. 

After lunch we went to the bookshop.  I was told that Graham Boyd had just left Tiruvannamalai for his trip outside.  I could not meet
David Godman also as he was away to UK.  I bought the following books:

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, two volumes, in Tamil.  This is
the first direct Tamil translation of Suri Nagamma's Lekahalu from
Telugu.

Humphrey's famous English book, Tamil translation.

Yoga Vasishatam, Tamil, prose rendering.  In Tamil, Yoga Vasishatam is called Jnana Vaishtam.  The poems from this are quoted by Kunju
Swami in his reminiscences.

Tripura Rahasya, Tamil prose rendering (reprint) of Vaiyai Subramanya Iyer.  He is the gentleman who wrote All Is One, Ellam Ondre, a small book which was recommended by Bhagavan Ramana to Annamalai Swami.

When we left around 1.30 pm, seeing the Hill of Fire, from behind the glass window of the car, upto 9  kms, upto which the Hill is seen in
Bangalore road, we told Annamalai, " Father! We shall come to You, when You decide to call us next, till then we shall constantly think of You in our Heart, please eradicate our ego."

In the Old Hall, into which I went two times during the four days, I decided that I would have only one thought, to quell the other thoughts.  As soon as I went inside and sat before the sofa, I was constantly thinking:  "Fiery Gem, shining from bottom to top (in all directions), do Thou burn up my lowliness (dross). O Arunachala!"
(Verse 18 of AAMM)

Arunachala Siva.

I

• View Profile
Re: Pilgrimage to the Hill of Fire, April-May 2009 - 5
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
dear subramanian,

thank you for your posts regarding girivalam and asramam.
makes me also want to go do the girivalam :)
by the lord's grace it'll happen soon..

one thing i wanted to ask you is that where can i get a copy of "All is one" the english translation of Ellam Ondre?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Pilgrimage to the Hill of Fire, April-May 2009 - 5
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:22:39 AM »
Dear I,

Your post.  Girivalam is possible for a healthy person, who can
walk, even if slowly, the 14 kms route.  It would take about
4 hours by slow walking and visiting shrines on the route.

When I went to Asramam last week, I found only the Tamil version
of Ellam Ondre, by Vaiyai Subrahmanya Iyer, in the bookdepot.
The English Version, ALL IS ONE, it seems is out of print.  Reprint
may come soon. If you can read Tamil Version, you may send a
small payment and get it from bookdepot.  The book costs Rs 10
and courier charges within India would be around Rs 35.00.

This Vaiyai Subrahmanya Iyer was a great scholar who was also
a Skanda Bhakta and Devi Upasaka.  He has rendered in Tamil
prose of Tripura Rahasya, a book mentioned by Bhagavan Ramana
on many occasions.  This book is now available in the Asramam.
The cost is Rs 100 plus courier charges.

Arunachala Siva.