Author Topic: Gopaler Ma - 8  (Read 1984 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Gopaler Ma - 8
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
The last days and merging with Gopala

The Mahasamadhi of Sri Ramakrishna in 1886 was a terrible blow to Gopaler-Ma. For a long time she confined herself to her room at Kamarhati and passed her days in contemplation. Her sorrow, however, was assuaged to a great extent by the periodic visions of the Master. During a car festival at a place called Mahesh, she could see Gopala everywhere - in the image of the Deity, the chariot in which the image was placed, as well as in each pilgrim who participated in the festival. With advancing age, she spent the last years of her life in prayer, paying occasional visits to the Ramakrishna Math at Baranagore, where a number of the Master’s devotees had gathered. Since they were aware of her visions and spiritual stature, they began to seek advice about their spiritual problems. An unassuming Alambazar or Belur, and found great pleasure in conversing with the Master’s devotees, lay and monastic, who revered her very much. One day in 1887, Gopaler- Ma went to Balaram Basu’s home Gopaler-Ma said to them, "Look, I am an illiterate woman. What do I know about the scriptures? Why don’t you ask Sarat, Yogin and Tarak? (the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna)." But they persisted, and finally she answered them by consulting her Gopala!

In 1904 Gopaler-Ma was seriously ill and had to be moved to the house of Balaram Basu. Sister Nivedita had been so charmed with her loving nature and spiritual experiences that she took her to her own residence at 17, Bosepara Lane, Baghbazar, and continued to serve her with a daughter’s love until her death. She considered herself fortunate to have the privilege of serving such an illumined soul for a pretty long time. In turn, Gopaler-Ma gave maternal affection and support. The Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi was living in the vicinity and she frequently went to see her. At the time of her passing away, when the Holy Mother sat by her, Gopaler-Ma slowly muttered, "Gopala, have you come? So long you sat on my lap, but today it is your turn to take me in your lap." When her head was placed on the Holy Mother’s lap, the latter lovingly stroked her body. Silence prevailed. Then Gopaler-Ma, who must have seen Gopala in the Holy Mother, said in a nostalgic tone, "So long, O Gopala, you have washed my feet and spread the seat for me. Today you are to put the dust of your feet on my forehead." The attendant fulfilled her wish, and she went into samadhi.

Gopaler-Ma was brought to the bank of the Ganga in an unconscious state. "Without a single want she lay there," writes sister Nivedita, "as she had lived, the face full of the last sweetness and peace." Thus, on 8 July 1906, the curtain fell on the thrilling life of Sri Ramakrishna’s great disciple at an old age. Her life demonstrates that what the scriptures assert continues to be relevant even today and that simple modes like the natural love of a mother for a child can help a spiritual aspirant to attain the Highest. The rustic, uneducated Gopaler-Ma was transformed into a saint and mystic by sheer Vatsalya Bhava. To the devotees of Sri Ramakrishna she was the living example of the glory of the Master’s life and teaching. Sister Nivedita has summed up the significance of Gopaler-Ma in a few jewelled words: "In her was such motherhood that the heart of Sri Ramakrishna became a child to her. Could more be said?"

Compiled by Dr. Chetana Mandavia from:
*First Meetings with Sri Ramakrishna by Swami Prabhananda.
*They Lived With God by Swami Chetanananda.

Concluded.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Gopaler Ma - 8
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Dear silentgreen,

Wonderful and moving story.  I remember to have read about
Goapler Ma, a long time back.  Even now the reading is quite
lucid and moving.  Such great souls lost everything in their
worldly lives and they were more than compensated in a deathless
state of liberation, at the end.  I bow to them.

Arunachala Siva.