Author Topic: Mahalakshmi Amma - 5  (Read 1554 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Mahalakshmi Amma - 5
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana continued the story:

Once Brahma, who was puffed up with pride, exlaimed to Vishnu:
"I, being the creator of everything, am the oldest of all."  Vishnu
replied: "There are people older than you."  But Brahma adamantly
demanded, "Who can be older than me, since I am the creator of all,
including them?"

Vishnu, then promised to show him and took him to a Sage called
Romasa (who was so called because his body was full of roma, hair).
On being questioned as to his age, the Sage answered: "Four yugas
on earth make one day of Brahma.  His life span is a hundred years according to this scale.  When one such Brahma dies, one hair from my body will fall.  Many have fallen away and many more still remain!  When all the hairs on my body falls away my life span will come to an end!"

The astounded Brahma was then taken to Ashtavakra and was again shaken by the response of this Sage, who when questioned about his age, replied: " When one Romasa muni dies, one twist will straighten up.  I will liove till of them become straight."  On hearing this, Brahma's pride was vanquished and he became humble."

Bhagavan concluded by saying:  "When right Jnana is gained, who wants this body?"

The same devotee again questioned: "Can Jnana be gained without the grace of Guru?  Did not Rama gain lucid knowledge only by the
upadesa of Vasishta?"

Bhagavan replied: "Oh!  Is there any doubt?  The Guru's grace is essential.  Can anything remain unaccomplished   by the guru's
Grace, the glory of which is sung by many sages?  The Guru's
grace is no ordinary thing."

The disconsolate couple from Vijayawada who were listening to all these stories, exclaimed that their despondency had lifted, "Look,
how we have been granted the grace of our guru."  By deliberately
narrating these stories, He has made our grief -laden hearts light once more."  The gloom caused by the loss of their son faded away when they returned home.

(Source:  As indicated in Part 1)

Arunachala Siva.