Author Topic: Freewill and Pre-determination - 2  (Read 1266 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Freewill and Pre-determination - 2
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
Ok. But what about at the level of individuality -- what happens
there, where ordinary individuals live and experience the world?
What are we to make of Bhagavan Ramana's own words in he light of
a person's everyday experience of cause and effectin the physical
world?

Arthur Osborne himself asked Bhagavan Ramana.

"Are only important events in a man's life, such as his main occupation or profession, pre-determined, or are trifiling acts also,
such a taking a cup of water or moving from one part of the room
to another?"  Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "Everything is predetermined."  Arthur Osborne said:  "Then what responsibility,
what free will has man?"  Bhagavan Ramana replied, "Why does
the body come into existence?  It is designed for various things
that are marked out for it in this life.... As for freedom, a man is
always free not to identify himself with the body and not to be
affected by the pleasures and pains consequent on its activities."

["The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi in His Own Words,
Arthur Osborne.]

On another occasion, in a remarkably similar manner, Bhagavan
Ramana was asked: "I can understand that the outstanding events
in a man's life such as his country, nationality, family, career or
profession, marriage, death etc., are all pre-determined by his karma, but can it be that all the details of his life, down to the minutest,
have already been predetermined? Now, for instance, I put this fanb that is in my hand down on the floor here.  Can it be that it was already decided that on such and such a day, at such and such an hour, I should move the fan like this and put it down here?"  Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "Certainly.  Whatever this body is to do and whatever experiences it is to pass through was already decided when it came into existence."

[Day by Day with Bhagavan, Devaraja Mudaliar.]

Finally, there is Bhagavan Ramana's reply to His mother, when she came to visit Him in Tiruvannamalai for the first time.  She had come in the hope of taking Him back to Madurai:

"The Creator, remaining everywhere makes each one play his role in life according to their past deed (prarabdha karma).  Whatever is not destined to happen will not happen,--- try how hard you may.  Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may do to stope it.  This is certain.  Therefore, the best course is for one to remain silent."

(Source: As indicated in Part 1)

Arunachala Siva.