Author Topic: Seeking the Self - 4  (Read 1380 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Seeking the Self - 4
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
Mr. Weeraperuma continues....

The word 'surrender' simply means yielding oneself to the superior
power or authority of another.  Surrender also implies the rejection
of all resistance to the operation of that power.  When one gives up
struggling, what inevitably follows is a state of submission.

He who has surrendered to himself is in a position to regard all the vicissitudes of life with equanimity.  As every event in life is divinely ordained, why be elated duirng good times?  By the same token, why complain or become depressed when there are bad times?  Instead
of resigning ourselves to our fate, we vainly try to change that which is not within our power to change.  What we regard as 'misfortunes',
these unbeknown to us turn out to be the blessings in disguise.  Why try to swim against the current of Life?  By surrendering fully to the mysterious workings of the pre-ordained cosmic plan one learns to accept whatever happens to oneself, come what may, secure in the knowledge that everything emanates from the Divine.

All theistic religions have emphasized the importance of surrendering to the invincible and invisible power.  Prayer is one of the most popular methods of surrendering oneself to the Most High.  A Muslim is expected to bow downwards and keen subserviently and pray five times every day.  Praying should never become a mere mechanical ritual.  The sole aim of prayer should be the total annihilation of the ego so that the mind gets automatically merged in the spiritual heart which is within oneself.  Instead of probing and plunging inwards why do so many uselessly direct their efforts outwards?  Is God
external to ourselves?  One is reminded of the amusing Zen story of the monk who was searching for his ox, in the fields while forgetting that he was actually riding on it!

When Dr. Syed wanted to know the steps by which he could achieve surrender, Bhagavan Ramana said:  "There are two ways. One is
looking into the Source of 'I' and merging into that Source.  The other is feeling "I am helpless by myself, God alone is all-powerful and
except throwing myself completely on Him, there is no other means of safety for me," and thus gradually developing the conviction that God alone exist and the ego does not count.  Both the methods lead to the same goal.  Complete surrender is another name for Jnana or Liberation."  (Day by Day.)

(Source: As stated in Part I.)

Arunachala Siva.
The first method is clearly explained in Bhagavan Ramana's helpful booklet WHO AM I?  The second prescribed method, involves the progressive strengthening of the realization that one is unable to help oneself and powerless whereas God is omnipotent.