Author Topic: Laghu Vaakya Vritti and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi  (Read 3040 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Laghu Vaakya Vritti and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »
Laghu Vaakya Vritti, as the name implies, is a condensation of
Vaakya Vritti.  While the bigger book has got 53 verses, this one
comprises of only 18 verses.  Of the two Maha Vakyas, Tat vam Asi
and Aham Brahmasmi which have been explained in the bigger book,
this book takes only Aham Brahmasmi and explains its purport.  The book
deals with an examination of our consciousness, in waking dream
and deep sleep states.  In our waking and dream states, the consciousness is always associated with an idea (buddhi vritti).  As such, it appears to be
objective and continuously changing.  This is called Bodha Bhasa - a
reflection of Pure Consciousness - Suddha Bodha.  These two correspond to 'I' and 'the Self, Jiva-Brahman.  A sample,

Verse 6 says:  "Water heated on fire acquires heat and so becomes capable of heating the body.  In the like manner, the intellect illumined by Pure
Consciousness acqires its lustre and thereby illumines all other external objects."

Verse 10 says: " The thread covered by he pearls in a string can be seen between two pearls. Similarly, the Pure Consciousness  also, though hidden by the modifications of the intellect, can be clearly perceived in between any two modifications."

Verse 12 says:  "Persons aspiring to the experience of Brahman should,
therefore, practise by slow degrees this restraint of modifications starting with one moment and then extending to two, three and so on."

Verse 18 says:- " Consummation of this practice lies in the firm conviction of one's identity with Brahman, like what conviction is normally there in the sense of identity of the self with the body.  One, who has realized this is liberated, indeed without a doubt.  His body may then drop off, any time, any where."

Bhagavan's teachings are also focussed towards the elimination of the
world, self and the god to merge in the Self.

Arunachala Siva.     

nonduel

• View Profile
Re: Laghu Vaakya Vritti and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Thank you for all your numerous references and related comments.

As you wrote: the consciousness is always associated with an idea (or thought - Buddhi vritti) and as such appears objective and continuously changing.

This is an unceasing chain of thoughts.  We experience this when, for example, we are day-dreaming. It starts with one thought which we "hold on" and another thought rapidly follows etc...   The first thought starts this chain which always leads us to a completely unrelated idea from the original thought.

When we concentrate on the first thought ("I-thought") then we aren't carried away outwardly. This chain of thoughts, when watched, is like a pearl necklace where we can see the thread between each pearl. There's a space between. Self is in that thoughless space, in between each thoughts.

In the last posts on "The Essence of Rhibu Gita", and your translation of the text about Bhavana. We can see the same in "Laghu Vaakya Vritti"

Quote:
Verse 18 says:- " Consummation of this practice lies in the firm conviction of one's identity with Brahman."

Bhavana:   faith, conviction, feeling.

Self-Attention, concentration on the first thought, the "I-thought", isn't just "holding" one's attention on the ego, the self.  It HAS to be with the conviction, absolute conviction of one's identity with Brahman. Same with the Guru, if one doesn't have faith, isn't convinced or accept as the Truth what the Guru teaches, then is is worthless.

Sri Nisargadatta said that his Guru told him YOU ARE HE, I AM THAT I AM, and from there on he never doubted the least. He often said to people enquiring, dwelve on I AM ("I-thought").  Sri Atmananda Menon was also very outspoken and direct. The Guru is there to clear the doubts.

If you permit me Dear Subramanain, to respectfully take you as an example here.  When you replied that you are a mud-pot (like we ALL very often do), isn't that an important obstacle ? 

Maybe I am the only one that didn't realised this important aspect?

Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Laghu Vaakya Vritti and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
Dear non-duel,  Thank you.  The mudpot (or golden pot) simile
is only to stress that we are all reflecting the Wisdom of our Guru,
the Sun, Son of God, in our different capacities.   On the day, when all these pots break away, there will only be 'AKASA', the all pervasive, limitless ether, the Brahman, our Guru.

Arunachala Siva.