Author Topic: Bhagvan seating on Tiger's Skin  (Read 13169 times)

Urmish Mehta

• View Profile
Bhagvan seating on Tiger's Skin
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »
All,

I noticed in the photos that Bhagvan is seating on several different Tigers' skins. Can you please give me historical background about it or explanations Bhagvan might have given. I am sure someone might have pointed it out then and might have asked about it Appaently, it seems the violation of non-violence rule but again, that is from our (ignorant) point of view. There is no such thing as violence or non-violence for Jnani. However, Jnani sets an exemple for us - a-jnani and I am only seeking an answer.

Bowing to Bhagvan,
Urmish

Hameed

• View Profile
Re: Bhagvan seating on Tiger's Skin
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »
I think it is the Hindu traditional belief that only the enlightened One can sit for meditation on the skin of a ferocious predator whose vibs are still in the skin. Disciples show up with such skins out of respect and the Sage sits on it if it helps to foster others' devotion.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:26:46 PM by Hameed »

Urmish Mehta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »
Now, that is a perfectly acceptable explanation..however it leads to another question...How can I strenthen my devotion to Bhagvan?

Hameed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:12:48 AM »
Now, that is a perfectly acceptable explanation..however it leads to another question...How can I strenthen my devotion to Bhagvan?

Through devotion and humility. Do not fall into the trap that you have a special relationship with him, that he is the satguru etc. He is not.

Urmish Mehta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »
In that case, who is he and what will latch me to devotion? In other words, it sounds great to say he is not related to you and he won't do nothing etc but that kind of outlook fails in stirring devotion, interest (even to have or maintain virtues like humility.)

I am not attacking your statement or a view, I am simply prolonging a dialogue.

rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
@ Urmish Mehta: I too once asked this question about the tiger skin. But the thought did occur to me that maybe the tiger died from old age or disease. And that a devotee perhaps wanted to use the head and skin as something functional; as a good quality (even stylish :)) rug for Ramana to sit and meditate on.  The image may deceive our mind and suggest a violent act occurred against the tiger, but this may have not been the case.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:40:48 AM by rob »

sonagiri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »
   Bhagavan occasionally sat on a tiger skin because devotees thought that it would be appropriate for specific occasions. By doing so Bhagavan was not endorsing tiger hunting; he was simply following a tradition and agreeing to devotees' requests. The following story from Letters from Sri Ramanasramam (letter 64) describes how his couch was prepared in a special way for the arrival of an important visitor:

About a week or ten days ago, the Puri Sankaracharya came here. His meeting with Bhagavan was something unique. As the arrival of the Acharya was known beforehand, the Sarvadhikari made all the required arrangements for the occasion. As you know, Bhagavan has been staying only in the Jubilee Hall during daytime. On the day of the arrival of the Acharya, devotees spread a tiger skin on Bhagavan’s couch and decorated it in a fitting manner.

In another story that appears later in the same book Bhagavan again explained that he sat on the skin because some devotees liked him to:

'Someone brings that tiger’s skin and requests me to sit on it. I accede to his request. Some one else comes here and says, "Please get up. I want that tiger’s skin." So I get up. What do I lose?' (letter 74)

siva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:46:04 PM »
Bhagawan sitting on tiger skin -

My mere opinions 1. This question arises in 2007, now we are conscious about caring wild lives, prohibited hunting. 70 yrs back it was totally different. Hunting tighers and hanging its skin on the wall was sign of bravery.
It was neither a sin nor an offense.

2. In yogic tradition, it is being told that tiger's skin prevents draining the energy to earth.( to sit in padmasan for long time) Yoga,kriya,pranayama,meditation are not practised on just sitting on the ground.

3. Above all Bhagawan is nir sangalpi, he had no likes or dislikes. He never did meditation or sort of sadhanas, i personally believe bhagawan  is annamalai himself, an Avatar. All gnani's we heared about had done some kind of sadhana and taught the same path to the world .( J Krishnamoorthy did not reveal himself)

But bhagawan attained  kaivalyam at the very moment of that death experiment and later while going thru text he knew this is  what people call it as gnanam.

Also if we focus attention on these tiny matters, we will wander over the circumference ,feeding food to brain and lose the core of bhagawan's teaching(?). It is again Maya , diverting our attention. Oh i have a written a long.... again maya   ;D ;D

hp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:54:41 AM »
Hi, this is my first post here. Greetings to everyone, and i hope to share guidance on the self-inquiry path. With regards to the tiger skin, i think i'd read somewhere that another reason that yogis used it was because the tiger skin helps in keeping bugs and insects away, dont know how much credence this has to it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
Let it be a tiger's skin or deer's skin.  Let them be dead animals
or killed animals.  Let them be for driving away insects/bugs or
controlling the ferocity of the mind.  What all these are for
Bhagavan?  He became the Self in Maduari house and then came
to Arunachala.  He never even liked leaves/flowers being plucked from
trees/plants. He allowed the insects/bees to have feast on his body
in Patala Lingam in the temple and again on the Hill.  All these
talks about dead or killed animals etc., are only for our "mental"
satisfaction

Urmish Mehta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
I want to go back to Hameed's comment he made back in 2007 on July 08. He commented, 'Through devotion and humility but do not fall into the trap that you have a special relationship with him, that he is the satguru etc. He is not.'

As you can see from my next question, his words had not caught me at all at that time. However later, interestingly enough, he did not respond to my request to prolong the dialogue.

Now, I know why he did not respond and WHAT exactly he conveyed by NOT responding.

I wanted to report 'it' (that is, in fact, not reportable at all or if it is reportable it is already reported at least a billion times before) thinking it might interest some on this forum.

So here, it goes again....

Yes, when you are feeling a special relationship with your Guru or have devotion towards him or some philosophy or any kind of feelings etc, or ideas such as this is right and that is wrong, tiger's skin and non-violence etc, you are neck deep merged in what Bhagvan calls ego, the outer-I. Any of this stuff is a sure sign that outer-I is operative. The bad news is as long as this outer-I is operative, the subjective-I remains hidden. No matter how hard you try, read, talk, explain, ask, teach, lecture, go round the world, or get replied and get pampered by your special Guru, or swim in some special river or keep swimming, you never can get out of the operation of this outer ego. There is no way.

This is because, as already explained by Bhagvan at least few millions times, the outer-I is stuck with all these ideas and concepts and thoughts and the body sensations.

The only way out is to fall into silence and be there until it becomes obvious. When you fall into silence, the ideas, thoughts, concepts, theories drop. And on one fine morning or evening, it happens suddenly and unexpectedly, something like, "Oops! It's 'me' and I was always there from day one - totally independent of all this mess - heck.'

Another bad news is, when once again that outer ego becomes operative, you begin to write like I am doing now!

If I switch, I can't write but more importantly, if I write, I can't switch!

Any way, my gratitude to Bhagvan (every single Guru ever walked on this planet earth from time unknown and touched me in some way)....and whatever I happened to do or did or am doing, that is, if at all.

Folks, if you respond, don't expect me to respond back and also don't feel bad about it.

Just know that you are at right place, at right time and whatever you are doing is surely working in some mysterious way...so be assured.