Author Topic: Upadesa Tiruvahaval of Sri Muruganar  (Read 1010 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Upadesa Tiruvahaval of Sri Muruganar
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Upadesa Tiruvahaval, (The Holy Free Verse of Teachings), is a
long poem of Muruganar that runs as a single continuous verse
of just less than 200 lines, in Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai, [The
Holy Presence of Sri Ramana].  I am not sure, whether the entire
Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai has been rendered into English. Prof.
K. Swaminathan has rendered most of them in English.  David
Godman and others have done translations of Sri Ramana Puranam and Upadesa Tiruvahaval.

I am giving some lines of the verse of that English rendering:

1-6:-

Nowhere upon this earth, composed on continents that the oceans
surround was there any one possessed  of such dark and deadly
understanding as mine.  I took the first prize, not even knowing
my [real] Self.  My wicked mind was studied full of habits than
those of an ignorant beast, and thus I remained.

7-15:-

A mahatma took birth to nurture and cultivate the dignity of man.
He has earned deep respect by his adherence to the truth and brings
joy to all humanity.  It is as if divine love had manifested in human
form.  He lends strength equally to the motherland [in its search for freedom] and to the individual in his quest for liberation. Such is his greatness.  Those who hear the fair name of Gandhi trun in his direction in transports of great joy, prostrate and worship him.

16-32:-

Under the leadership of this great and worthy soul,  many, many good people suffered indescribable agony for the sake of the motherland. 
Yet, though I was aware of this, in my foolishness, I did not renounce all comforts and volunteer to help their cause.  I did not realize that,
amongst all the many spiritual disciplines that are worthy of practice, truthfulness is that which most benefits the soul.  I spoke contrary to the thoughts I harboured within my mind and thus frittered away my ordained life to no good end.  I showed my love solely with words but never knew the joy of offering love through my deeds.  I hoarded suffering, as if it were wealth, piling it up in the boat (that is the body).  Then as I lay drifting on the sorrowful ocean of bitter birth,
you [Bhagavan] drew me to you and bound me to your golden feet with the rope of divine grace whose nature is to bestow itself entirely without desire or intention.  You watched over me, banishing my slumbers in the differentiated world  brought about by maya.

(Source: Mountain Path, October-December 2006)

Arunachala Siva.