Author Topic: Change in life  (Read 1845 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Change in life
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »
Change dominates the world we inhabit today.  Both in the external
world and within ourselves, there is an uninturrupted sense of change and, like divers contemplating a plunge into cold water,
we tend to greet it with a mixture of eagerness and panic. The whole
fabric of human identity has and will continue to change. 

In this respect, we should be grateful for true change, because,
when it cmes we are taken out of ourselves.  Our illusions are
shattered and our eyes opened to a new world.  Moreover, the
change can be expected once we enter the circle of Bhagavan's
grace.

An extreme example of radical change is depicted in Viktor Frank's
Man's Search for Meaning.  The book relates his harrowing experiences in a Nazi concentration camp.  A professional doctor, he was assigned the crude infirmary, where head a little more than a
few weak pain killer tablets for the numerous patients. 

He writes: "Some details of a particular man's inner greatness may come to one's mind, like the story of the young woman whose death
I witnessed in a concentration camp.  It is a simple story.  There is little to tell and it may sound as if I had invented it but to me it seems like a poem.

"This young woman knew that he would die within next few days.
But when I talked to her she was cheerful in spite of this knowledge. " I am grateful that fate has hit me so hard.", she told me.  "In my
former life, I was spoiled and did not take spiritual accomplishments seriously."  Pointing through the window of the hut, she said: "The
tree here is only my true friend I have in my loneliness." Through the window she could see just one branch of a chestnut tree and on the branch were two blossoms.  "I often talk to this tree," she said to
me.  I was startled and did not quite know how to take her words.
Was she delirious?  Did she have hallucinations?  Anxiously I asked her if tree replied. "Yes".  What did it say to her?  It said to me:
"I am here -- I am here -- I am life -- eternal life."

In the beginning, we would fear to change but now with Bhagavan illuminating the Still Centre in our hearts, we are courageous and are ready to face the unknown, the infinite possibilities, and the inevitability of change.  The grace is always available.  All we need to do is ask.

As Swami Vivekananda paraphrased the Katha Upanishad (i.iii.14):
"Arise! Awake! And stop not until the goal is reached!"

After all, what have we to lose?

(Source: Mountain Path, Aradhana, 2003)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Change in life
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »
Dear Subramanian.

Its a beautiful and touching post. I feel Change exists so long the Vasanas exist. After all Vasanas are the desire for change. One is not happy with what is already. One wants change, difference, new, creation. Vasanas are like the river, it keeps moving and then finally it reaches the ocean which is still non moving and non changing.

If one is not happy even with the change, like the water which evaporates and rain and reach different places so do we!

Nagaraj
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Change in life
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
The incident refers to the "true change" that takes place very rarely
in one's life.  The lady dying was able to realize the change, which
was her outlook to treat life as Eternal.  Like the true change that
took place in young Venkatraman, on that eventful day in end July