Author Topic: Miracles Do Happen  (Read 2304 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Miracles Do Happen
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »
An anonymous article titled "A Scientist Becomes a Vedantin" was
received by Sri Ramanasramam, in April 1946. This was written
by a Tamil scientist.  It appeared in 1996 Advent Centenary Souvenir.

I came after my B.Sc. to have darshan of Bhagavan Ramana.  I was sitting thoughtfully in the Hall.  Bhagavan Ramana looked at me and
asked: "What is your doubt?"

I replied: A form exists on the sofa, and another form exists on the floor.  If I open my eyes and look, the two of them are clearly visible.
But you are teaching that what exists is only one.  How can this be true.?

The Maharshi laughed a little and then kept quiet for some time. A few minutes later he gave me the following reply:

"Don't you perform experiements in the laboratory when you are the university?  Let us suppose that you are researching into some topic.  To whatever extent the equipment you use in the experiment is subtle
and precise, to that same extent the real nature of the things being studied will be known.  But even if the equipment is highly sophisticated, if your vision is not normal, then the true nature of the things being studied will not be known.  Even if the vision is normal, if the brain itself is not normal, then also the true nature of the object,
being studied will not be known clearly.  And even if the brain is normal, if the mind does not engage itself with full attention on the
experiment, knowing the truth of an object of study is dependent on the mind. 

"What is this thing, we call 'mind'?   Only thoughts.  But all thoughts expand from one and the same thought.  That one thought is the primary cause and basis for all other thoughts.  It is the I-am-the body thought.  Unless this thought occurs first, the appearance of the many external objects and the accompanying that they are different from oneself will not occur.  In deep sleep, where the I-am-the body
idea is absent, the world does not appear!  Nor do the other thoughtss appear there.   When one wakes up, it is the though I-am-the-body
that rises first.  In this thought there are two components, one is the body and the other is "I".  The body is something that appears and disappears.  It keeps changing all the time and its existence is dependent on outside materials like oxygen, food etc., However, the characteristic of "I" is directly opposed to this.  That which truly
exists must exist all the time, but the body does not exist all the time.
Therefore, it cannot be real.  The "I" thought, exists all the time in all the three states of waking, dream and deep sleep. It is therefore real, whereas the body is unreal.  Furthermore, the two joined together cannot constitute a real entity.  How can the night and day, darkness and light exist together?  If light exists, there is no darkness, if there is darkness, there is no light.  In the same way, no entity comprising of the body and "I" exists.   Therefore, the I-am-the-body thought itself is false.

If you begin to research into the world with this false thought as the instrument, how can the Truth be discovered?" asked Bhagavan Ramana!

At that very moment, the obsession that the young man had had for
modern, western, scientific methods completely vanished.   He understood that Truth cannot be known through its methods.

Bhagavan Ramana concluded by saying, "Only after knowing the truth of oneself can one know the truth of the world.  Then He briefly explained the path of vichara, following which one can know oneself.

(Source: Mountain Path, Deepam, 2004)

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Miracles Do Happen
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
Very interesting post!

I would like to go back around again afresh and learn the abcd of Self enquiry!

What is the first 'I' and the other 'I'

Bhagawan says the when one wakes up, it is the though I-am-the-body that rises first. So the first 'I' is that we operate from the Body's point of view. That I need to use my hands legs mouth to talk and all the daily chores and responsibilities.

What is the Other 'I'? Bhagawan says this real 'I' exists in all the three states. waking, sleeping and dream states. It is absolutely untouched by anything!

The body being unreal, is it only a thought then? as we are only the spirit in the body, they say body is just like a cloth! If it is a cloth then it must be separate from the real 'I'

I can understand that I am not this body, I am the one residing in the body! is this also a thought only? that I am residing in this body? because when I say I am residing in this body, then it amounts to giving existence to this body. Yes the body is Lifeless but I am the Life in the body. Is body there?

If the real I exist in Sleep, then It is not known at all! Its absolute thoughtless state. therefore in the dream and waking states it is along with the thoughts, therefore the one in sleep is pure without thoughts.

It only means thoughtless state. Not even 'I' is there.

Who actually Sleeps anyway? is it the body? but body is lifeless! or is it the life force 'I' what is sleeping? what is to be awake ?

'I' am there whole day doing something and I am totally dissolved in sleep lost or dead.

Nagaraj

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

munagala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Body does not sleep, only the mind along with the Ego sleeps.

Sleep is merging into the heart without awareness. Samadhi is merging into the heart with awareness.

When coming out of sleep the I thought springs first. It is nothing but the reflection of the original I.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

What munagala says is correct.  (1)  The body does not need sleep.
It needs rest.  (2) It is the monkey mind that needs the sleep, because
even in bed, it operates vehemently.  The I is only one.  This when
combined with ego, becomes the I am the body consciousness.  This
is translated as I-I by English writers, because Bhagavan Ramana also
used the words Naan (I) and Thaan (the Self, which is nothing but I
de-robed of ego).  Since English writers have no equivalent to the
words Thaan or Brahman or the Self, they used "I-I".

Arunachala Siva.

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
dear subramanian I always understood that the "I" is the simple feeling of beeing alive, that is present always in the waking state...

and the "I-I" is the I that is present in all 3 states....this is the true self

most english mystics and scholars like Ken Wilber use it in this order..

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
Dear matthias,

It is okay.  There is only 'I', either in its pristine glory or screened
by ego.  If you have understood in this sense, it is fine.  Rose is
always a Rose, in whatever name you call it, as Shakespeare said.

Arunachala Siva.